L'isola del tesoro by Robert L.…

L'isola del tesoro (original 1883; edition 2008)

by Robert L. Stevenson

17,175247100 (3.82)1 / 749
Member:angebu
Title:L'isola del tesoro
Authors:Robert L. Stevenson
Info:De Agostini (2008), Perfect Paperback
Rating:***

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The Wrecker by Robert Louis Stevenson (BasKoeln)
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (sturlington)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
Unread books (1,577)

English (223)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (247)
Jim Hawkins is running an inn with his parents when an old drunk captain, Billy Bones, over stays his welcome and eventually dies on their premises after being confronted by other sailors. Jim knows the captain had a chest and ransacks it and finds a map. After fleeing he comes in contact with Captain Smollett and they decide together to go after the treasure which is located on an island. They hire a crew one of which is Long John Silver but during the voyage the crew headed by Long John, mutinies. Once on the island the captain and a few others grab supplies and run. There are a few scourges between the two parties and many are left dead or injured. Jim scours the island finds a lost sailor, Ben Gunn, who had been left by Billy Bones. Ben has been alone on the island and little does everyone know he has found the treasure and hidden it elsewhere. Jim also recovers the ship which has been left unattended minus one sailor who he eventually kills. The mutineers discover the loss of the treasure and go crazy eventually allowing the captain and his remaining crew to get to the ship, collect the treasure hidden by Ben, who has now joined them, and set sail back to England. Long John Silver also rejoins them and by orders from England the captain can do nothing to him but along their journey home Long John Silver abandons the ship and is never seen again. The remaining crew return home and a few take advantage of their new found wealth while others flounder it. A classic tale of the good guys triumphing and conquering to the end. ( )
  vibrantminds | May 20, 2015 |
Certainly a classic - Treasure Island first captivated me as a child, and did not fail to hold my attention now as an adult. Like many books I've read again as I've grown older, there were things I understood better, plot twists I could see but that nonetheless took me on a wildly exciting adventure like the one of my youth. I think this will always be a favorite for me - I love pirates, and the ones in Treasure Island were my very first taste of them. Not the ninnies or idiots of more recent pirate movie standards, these are true swashbuckling terrors, and I will always admire Jim for his adventurous spirit. ( )
  morgtini | May 15, 2015 |
Treasure island is a book about a boy named Jim Hawkins. Jim started in an inn with his mother. As Jim was at the in other pirates that came warned Jim about the pirate with a peg leg. Later on Jim found a treasure map in one of the pirate's chest. afterward Jim left with a doctor, a pirate, and the pirates crew to the island. After the crew and Jim got to the island the Captain realized that the map was replaced with a fake one not showing where the treasure was hidden. Later on exploring the island Jim met a man named Ben Gunn who lived on the island for 3 years. Soon after Jim met the peg leg pirate that was named long john who went by the nickname Silver. Later silver attacked Jim's ship and reveled that he had the real map.Lastly following the real map the crew and Jim found that soon before another group of pirates already took the treasure ,so the captain took the crew and Jim Hawkins back home.

I enjoyed the book and the story.The problem was that I felt that the book had some down sides. The things I liked about the book was that the book had one main goal that all the people had. Another thing I liked was the plot twist at the end where the treasure wasn't there when the crew and Jim checked because other pirates already took it. A thing i thought was cool was that in the story most of the characters are mentioned or connected in some way. A thing I disliked about the book was that because there was only one goal it seemed to me that the entire book was really slow. Lastly another thing I disliked was that I expected more action and adventure from the book because it is a book about treasure and traveling. If you do not like a book that is slow and and very much action I would not recommend this book ( )
  KaleoC.B1 | May 12, 2015 |
All of these QED "Classic Collection" books are wonderful, modern adaptations. The illustrations are engaging and the language is clear and exciting for early readers.. ( )
  Hae-Yu | May 9, 2015 |
A
  burtmiller | May 6, 2015 |

Stevenson, Robert Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work for the book Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?

Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?

AR 8.3, Pts 12.0
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:20 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,283,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible