Good Me Bad Me: A Novel by Ali Land

Good Me Bad Me: A Novel

by Ali Land

English (41)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (43)
I was kind of disappointed with this book. The premise was promising - daughter Milly turns in her serial killer mom and testifies against her at her trial - but the foster family she's living with was annoying, as was Milly's habit of conversing silently with her mother (who she referred to as "you" throughout). I saw the ending coming a mile away - another disappointment. It could have been so much better, which I will chalk up to the fact that this is a debut novel. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Mar 25, 2018 |
Can you imagine having such an evil, vile person as your only caregiver? Your mother a serial killer. And not just a serial killer but a serial killer who preys on small children. The long lasting damage that could do to any person, let alone a child is immeasurable.

This book is definitely chilling and disturbing. It had all the things I love most. The writing for this twisted and demented story couldn't have been done any better. Ali Land nailed it perfectly! The past and present colliding at once, the emotions of a confused and damaged kid, and the struggle to survive ones past, this journey is definitely a bumpy ride.

I couldn't put this book down. I devoured it. It is so unique and thought-provoking. It gave me goosebumps and chilled me to the bone.
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
I was expecting a shocker of a thriller here given the summary & blurbs about its grittiness but after reading it... not so much. Both the summary & hype prompted me to buy this in hardcopy as it's not yet out in my country (a thing I will routinely do when I don't want to wait!)! Either I'm jaded or the usual reader's standard for shocking and cutting edge are at a much lower bar than mine. Or, in addition to having read too many mystery/psychological thrillers, I've seen so many Law & Order: SVU, DCI Banks & Luther episodes that I'm inured to what I was offered here.

I thought the veiled reveal of the horrors Annie/Milly's mother meted out on her victims was very well done. It was never gratuitous and always left me wondering. This may be the best aspect to the story. It was effective as these things are related to the reader through Annie/Milly.

Milly was the only well drawn character, unfortunately. She was the only one who was fully realized and with such care and attention that I have to wonder if the writer just didn't have any more left for everyone else. Mike, the psychologist treating Milly & also foster-father was flat. His best moment is when it's revealed he's been secretly writing a book on Milly & her mother's case. Saskia, the bored, drug-addled, cheating, long mentally absent wife & foster-mother was a ghostly copy of every other type you've read of this. I hoped we'd go deeper but that's not what she was here for. Phoebe, the beautiful, Queen B, bully daughter whose entire purpose on the planet seemed to be hissing, spitting & coming up with uninspired names to call people. Morgan, the girl who befriends Milly was a touch better drawn but even she misses the feels real mark.

I predicted the two big reveals and have to admit that I was disappointed. It felt like it couldn't have gone any other way even though I'd been hoping it would. It made for a terribly anticlimactic end. I'm glad I read Milly's story but if I could do it all again, I wouldn't rush to it. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
This is a relentless tale of a girl shaped by her serial killer mother. This girl is incredibly brave and strong, demonstrated by her need to escape and accepting that the only way to do so is to turn her mother in and testify against her. But this girl is also very weak and needy and wants so badly to belong and to be accepted by her foster family - the family of the man helping her prepare her testimony.

Annie - now Milly - had to learn how to survive living with her mother. A cruel mother. And she is still surrounded by many cruel people. So the question is, how much of that learning is still with her and how will she cope? Is it ever possible to really escape?

This is a sad and scary roller-coaster ride that will keep you guessing right until the end. Is she good or is she bad? Can she choose whether or not to be like her mother, or is it inevitable?

I received an ARC of Good Me Bad Me from the publisher and thoroughly enjoyed both the suspense and the phrasing. Great read. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Feb 23, 2018 |
Disturbing story about how we are formed by our upbringings. Also a disturbing insight into bullying. ( )
  DeborahJade | Dec 25, 2017 |

Milly's mother is a serial killer. Though Milly loves her mother, the only way to make her stop was to turn her in to the police. Milly is given a fresh start: a new identity, a home with an affluent foster family, and a spot at an exclusive private school. But Milly has secrets, and life at her new home becomes complicated. Her foster sister, Phoebe, starts to bully her. A teacher betrays her trust. And her new best friend tempts her into behaving badly. They have no idea who they are dealing with. As her mother's trial looms, with Milly as the star witness, Milly starts to wonder how much of her is nature, how much of her is nurture, and whether she is doomed to turn out like her mother after all. When tensions rise and Milly feels trapped by her shiny new life, she has to decide: Will she be good? Or is she bad? She is, after all, her mother's daughter"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,298,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible