La química by Stephenie Meyer

La química (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Stephenie Meyer (Author)

Member:bcacultart
Title:La química
Authors:Stephenie Meyer (Author)
Info:Suma (2017)
Collections:Darreres adquisicions
Tags:Novel·la d'espionatge

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (2016)

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, LydiaGranda, keithostertag, Arktec2858, Miller.Emmalee

English (32)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
I read this book for the sake of reading another Stephanie Meyer book and it appealed to me because it is different from her previous Twilight books, written as a spy type adult thriller. I loved it. It was full of suspense with twists. I especially loved that the main character, Alex was not a typical heroine, she is small in size, incredibly smart and very resourceful. You come to really enjoy the twin brothers, Kevin who eventually turns from trying to kill her to acting like a typical teasing big brother and then David, the loving gentle brother whose character really evolves. I loved the references to the trained dogs since I am putting my new puppy through training. Ms. Meyer gives us a really good wrap up at the end with no loose ends hanging except what happens to one of the dogs, Lola, wish she would have given me my happy ending with that instead of not knowing, but oh well, I guess I can't have it all. Yes, I recommend this one. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Surprisingly fun to read thriller/action book. Characters and language are Hollywood simple, but fun nonetheless. Makes a great summer beach read. ( )
  keithostertag | Feb 13, 2019 |
If I would let my criticism senses go free, I would probably say to myself, "It just can't be, it doesn't make any sense." But this book laughs at every critical sense: it was written so reliably and tense that all guardians of rationality fall asleep while on guard.

The story deals with the conspiracies of the most secretive American agencies, which, like in many books, run pursuit campaigns after their allies in the past. There are thermals and deceptions, haunting chases, and an extraordinary heroine. In short, everything I need in a book. ( )
  Bertchuba | Jan 10, 2019 |
A woman who has talents with chemicals who is working for an organization that no one knows much about has realized that she has become expendable. So now she's on the run, and is determined to survive by whatever means possible. Can't tell you much more, but can tell you I LOVED the dogs in the book. I'm a Shepherd owner so of course I loved Einstein. Loved the resourcefulness and gritty character of the girl and the sweet innocence of Daniel; a highly unlikely couple but very believable. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jan 2, 2019 |
Visit all my reviews here. I love to chat books! You can also follow me on Twitter: @Sassy_Brit.

I'm reviewing The Beguiled (Penguin Classics) by Thomas Cullinan. Here are my thoughts:

"A classic slice of Southern Gothic, shot through with psychological suspense, which is the basis for Sofia Coppola's (winner of Best Director at Cannes) 2017 film of
the same name starring Nicola Kidman, Colin Farrell and Kirsten Dunst". Source: wiki/The_Beguiled_(2017_film).

The book was originally written with the title A Painted Devil and some of you eagle-eyed readers and film fanatics may also remember this was a film starring Clint Eastwood and Geraldine Page in the '70s. The maid in the latter film and this 1966 novel, was black and there was also another bi-racial character, too. However, in the new film, mentioned above, this bi-racial character was played by Kirsten Dunst. This totally ruined the whole point of the book that the black woman was really a slave in their household and the bi-racial woman (who was a free woman) could not seem to see that she herself was not truly white. And that, dear readers, is a very relevant part of the original book, why change it? (Rolls eyes). Is it so wrong to portray this black woman exactly how the author intended her to be? The way I see it
, what she did in that house was her way of surviving. It's an integral part of the story. Why hide it?

After all, if you look at the underage sex and the way the main male character acts by taking advantage of his position in a household full of young girls who are basically shut away from society, should he also be seen as wrong? These young girls are easy prey, but some, are also very willing to learn... Incidentally, I must say the heat and sexual tension within the book is superbly done.

I found parts of the way this was written to be a little repetitive and confusing in style, despite this, it was still a great story. It's only told from the girls' perspective, which in many ways adds to this atmospheric, hothouse of lies and deceit the further into the story you delve.

The Beguiled is chock full with a Gothic sense of foreboding and unease, set against a backdrop of the Civil War, which made for some serious, ghostly tension. W
ho is this injured solider who turns up on their doorstep? How can these girls protect themselves from this seductive man when they have no idea what life is like outside the four walls of the house they live in?

If you read right to the end you'll find out the brilliant twist of fate this story has in store for you. A devious surprise! ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit boek is opgedragen aan Jason Bourne en Aaron Cross
(en ook aan Asya Muchnick en Meghan Hibbett voor hun vrolijke
medeplichtigheid aan mijn obsessie)
This book is dedicated to Jason Bourne and Aaron Cross (and also to Asya Muchnick and Meghan Hibbett, who gleefully aid and abet my obsession)
De taak van vandaag was routine geworden voor de vrouw die zich op dit moment Chris Taylor noemde.
Today's errand had become routine for the woman who was currently calling herself Chris Taylor.

In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life. She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning. Now, she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon. When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it’s her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous. Resolving to meet the threat head on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life, but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talents in ways she never dreamed of. In this tautly plotted novel, Meyer creates a fierce and fascinating new heroine with a very specialized skill set. And she shows once again why she’s one of the world’s bestselling authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:06:02 -0400)

She used to work for the U.S. government, one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn't even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came without warning, and they killed the only other person she trusted. When her former handler offers her a way out, it is her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous. And now she finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,541,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible