Most Dangerous Place by James Grippando

Most Dangerous Place

by James Grippando

What's It About?
Defending a woman accused of murdering the man who sexually assaulted her, Miami lawyer Jack Swyteck must uncover where the truth lies between innocence, vengeance, and justice in this spellbinding tale of suspense—based on shocking true-life events.
According to the FBI, the most dangerous place for a woman between the ages of twenty and thirty is in a relationship with a man. Those statistics become all too personal when Jack Swyteck takes on a new client tied to his past. It begins at the airport, where Jack is waiting to meet his old high school buddy, Keith Ingraham, a high-powered banker based in Hong Kong, coming to Miami for his young daughter’s surgery. But their long-awaited reunion is abruptly derailed when the police arrest Keith’s wife, Isabelle, in the terminal, accusing her of conspiring to kill the man who raped her in college. Jack quickly agrees to represent Isa, but soon discovers that to see justice done, he must separate truth from lies—an undertaking that proves more complicated than the seasoned attorney expects.

Inspired by an actual case involving a victim of sexual assault sent to prison for the death of her attacker, James Grippando’s twisty thriller brilliantly explores the fine line between victim and perpetrator, innocence and guilt, and cold-blooded revenge and rightful retribution.

What Did I Think?
I have been a long time fan of this series. It seems that it just gets better and better with each additional episode. You are eager to find out more from the very first page. Rape has more than one victim...entire families, marriages and relationships suffer often irreparable damage that can lead to revenge that often sets off a disastrous chain of events. Thus is the case of this young woman....but is she truly only a victim or is she as much a predator as her attacker? A complex plot with so many twists and turns that Grippando pulls off beautifully. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 24, 2017 |
Legal thriller that does not disappoint. This is the 13th book written about attorney Jack Swyteck and his cases. The characters are believable and the plot is exciting. Well-written, the reader gains an in-depth knowledge of how the legal system works. I did not know who was guilty or what was going to happen. The ending has a little twist. ( )
  standhenry | Jul 13, 2017 |
Isabelle and Keith leave Hong Kong to bring their young daughter, Melany, to Miami for a delicate surgical procedure related to her hearing. But police arrest Isabelle as she steps off the plane and Keith turns to his old friend, Jack Swyteck, for help. Jack readily agrees but soon finds the case is far more complicated the conspiracy to commit murder charge brought against his client. Before long, Isa’s husband is embroiled in legal difficulties of his own, leaving Jack reluctantly partnered with Manny Espinosa to sort out the legal tangle in which his friends are enmeshed, a task complicated by Isa’s father, Felipe.

Where should the line between revenge and justice be drawn? When does the victim become the perpetrator? With its convoluted plot twists and unexpected events, readers will find it difficult to predict the outcome of this case. Courtroom scenes and unforeseen reveals ramp up the suspense and the underlying moral question keeps readers spellbound until they’ve turned the final page.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Mar 16, 2017 |
This was another great Jack Swyteck book. This series has been consistently good and this book was no exception. This book is the 13th installment in the Jack Swyteck series but it can be easily read as a stand alone novel. Like all of the other books in this series, the book tells its own story with the help of some familiar characters. I started this book about a half hour before I had planned to go to bed for the night which turned out to be a huge mistake because I didn't want to stop reading. Since I am past my days of being able to function on no sleep, I did put the book down although later than I had planned but I couldn't wait to get back to it. I just had to know what secrets were being kept.

Jack, along with his wife and young daughter, go to the airport to pick up his old friend, Keith, and his family. As soon as the group meets up, Keith's wife, Isa, is arrested and taken away in handcuffs. Jack jumps in to help right away and is quickly hired as as Isa's lawyer. She is being charged with conspiracy to murder the man that raped her in college. It becomes evident right away that Isa is keeping quite a few secrets.

This story took a lot of twists and turns and I was never quite sure which character should be trusted. Jack finds himself in a situation where he has to dig deep into the past of his good friend's wife even when it becomes unpleasant. His responsibility is to his client who doesn't always make things easy. Throw an additional lawyer who drove both myself and Jack a little crazy and you have one heck of a frustrating case.

As I have come to expect from James Grippando, the story was told in a wonderful manner. The pacing was very well done with some pretty intense moments worked into the story. I love the little bit of humor that always seems to work its way into the story and puts a smile on my face. I did enjoy how the mystery behind what happened was unraveled just a little bit at a time. Everything fit together nicely by the end of the book.

I would recommend this book to mystery fans. I found this story to be quite the page turner that really kept me guessing. I have been reading James Grippando since I first discovered his writing over 10 years ago and since then I have read most of his work. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from HarperCollins Publishers - Harper via Edelweiss. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Feb 20, 2017 |

Jack signs on to defend an old school friend's wife who is accused of murdering her college rapist, but he finds the case unexpectedly complicated by the woman's tortured family history and conflicting testimony from an ex-boyfriend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,132,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible