Nineteen: A Portrait of the Artist as a…

Nineteen: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Model

by D.L. Janney

841,035,133 (4.2)None

Having had a similar upbringing I easily could identify with the character. Although I lack the hypermnesia the main character speaks of [page 268] in the book (which the author must have it in able for him to write in such a descriptive manner) I definitely fit the same profile as not being able to tolerate the hypocrisy or insincerity of others (and of that he situation described on page 124, which if you are curious to know you will have to read the book).
For an easy read, it us surprising descriptive. One can easily picture the locations, feel the atmosphere. Characters are minutely described that one can easily imagine them (or wonder who would play them if this were to be made into.
I am looking forward to reading the sequel to this, and hoping it will not be too long in coming ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Feb 10, 2017 |
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for a review.

This book was not what I expected, mostly in a good way... The protagonist, in need of money, leaves college and joins a modeling agency. The plot began slowly but after a few chapeters the book quickly became more interesting. I was pleasantly surprised when the main character went to Italy and France during the book. Although he was in different countries, he still interacted with many Americans. The culture of the modeling world was very interesting. Also, the protagonist annoyed me at times because he had a very negative outlook on life, but I appreciated his honesty. The truthful bluntness was very refreshing. Overall, a great book if you're in the mood for something different. ( )
  abrooke | Jan 21, 2017 |
I received this as an early review copy on Library Thing. I wanted to read it as it's a young man from the Midwest and it's set in the 1980's, this would make him my age and growing up in the same part of the country. The book comes with a subtitle of An American Novel...What's that American about it. 3/4 of the book takes place in Italy and other parts of Europe. Although I didn't really care for this book there is a sequel and I care enough about the character to want to read it as well.

This is a young man with a bad family life who goes to NYC to try and become a model. After being turned away by numerous agencies one finally takes a chance on him. At this agency he meets a man with connections in Milan who give him his real "break." Most of the story takes place in Milan. He meets other models who aren't doing well and barely surviving while he seems to be on a meteoric rise. Although he is doing very well he seems very detached from his life and those around him. If you read the blurb in the back of the book about the author this seems to be a fictionalized version of his life. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jan 8, 2017 |
Such a remarkable journey! This book was very interesting as i read about his life i kept turning page after page to find out what would happen next. This journey was very well written and truly gave a wonderful insight into an interesting life. This is a definite to be read book and should be on everyones list. 4 stars from me. ( )
  lwol88 | Jan 2, 2017 |

Depressed, broke, and suffering the effects of a brutal childhood; our hero heads to New York City. He leaves behind college life in a small midwestern town to earn a living in one of the most competitive fields in the world. Pushing aside his overwhelming self-doubt and insecurities, he arrives in New York City with only a bag filled with clothes. Nineteen is his story. Enter his world and walk beside him as D.L. paints a portrait of his life as an outsider in the 1980s fashion world. Without help or any contacts, our protagonist attempts to make enough money to go to a good university and change his life forever. Embark on this intimate journey into a world remembered and created from the troubled, yet determined mind of a nineteen year old boy. His pragmatic mind coupled with a tortured soul will lead the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 02 Aug 2016 18:06:03 -0400)

D.L. Janney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,295,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible