Library of Luminaries: Frida Kahlo: An…

Library of Luminaries: Frida Kahlo: An Illustrated Biography (2016)

by Zena Alkayat

2012515,329 (3.91)4

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having read and very much enjoyed this book on a recent trip to New York, I promptly gave it to the very bright five-year old child of the friends I was staying with. She usually ignores such gifts but this time she scooped it up and read it to herself right away and then insisted on reading it to us. She was completely taken by the book and more importantly by Kahlo. Trips to the museums followed I am happy to say! ( )
  michaelg16 | Dec 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nice little book, beautifully illustrated. I am so glad to have the internet available so that I could find some of the paintings and photographs that were mentioned. A good quick overview of Frida Kahlo's life. Definitely piqued my interest to explore further. I'm grateful to the publisher and LibraryThing for sharing this book with me in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  njcur | Nov 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Frida Kahlo An Illustrated Biography is a sweet tribute to the multi-faceted artist Frida Kahlo. I named my cat Frida so I already knew quite a lot about her life and works. So much pain! But always balanced with unrelenting hope and bravery. This little book dances through Frida's story with uplifting prose and charming illustrations. The world was fortunate to be graced with Frida's wildly artistic talent and now we are graced with this lovely and compassionate telling of her life.
  themagiciansgirl | Oct 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a cute little picture book biography about Frida Kahlo. Even though I feel like I know the basics about "one of history's most celebrated artists and feminist icons," I still read a few new Frida facts. I was surprised that it did not contain any of Frida Kahlo's artwork, but it was fun to see Nina Cosford's interpretations instead.

I have always thought of Frida's life through her autobiographical artwork and from her perspective. It was interesting to look at her through another artist's eyes. The illustrations of Frida's tragic life story seem whimsical in this book. I liked thinking about Frida in a joyous way. One of my favorites was "Frida's Wardrobe," which I'm pretty sure made me giggle. I've never imagined Frida packing before. Thank you. ( )
  PaperbackPirate | Oct 19, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Frida Kahlo: An Illustrated Biography" by Zena Alkayat, with luminous illustrations by Nina Cosford, is a delightful introduction to the art and life of the visionary Mexican painter. Written as a sort of biographical appetizer with just enough flavor to whet the appetite, Cosford's small volume entices and beguiles. Akin to a travel guide, "Frida Kahlo: An Illustrated Biography" opens a path of understanding towards Frida's artistic, political, gender, and sexual explorations. Cosford's colorful and engaging pictures help lead us on this path. I only wish that at the end of the journey, we would find at least one photographic reproduction of Frida's own artworks. ( )
  greggchadwick | Oct 16, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Zena Alkayat's book Library of Luminaries: Frida Kahlo is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible