Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Celtic Tales: Fairy Tales and Stories of…

Celtic Tales: Fairy Tales and Stories of Enchantment from Ireland,…

by Kate Forrester (Illustrator)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of Celtic fairy tales included many I'd not heard of, especially since it included a lot that were more legends or mythology. Forester's illustrations, although not the usual fairy tale fare, fit the stylistic atmosphere of the Celtic tales. They have bold, earth-colors and clean lines. The tales are adapted from various older sources so they have the rhythmic and sometimes convoluted language of the originals. I'm sorry that most of the kids at my library don't really have much interest in fairy tale collections, something I loved as a child. However, I will happily add this to my own collection.

Review copy provided by LT Early Reviewers
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautiful book with lovely and unique illustrations for each tale. It looks great on my bookshelf. The book is well made with thick pages and a ribbon to mark your page. I really like how the book was arranged (by type of tale/theme). The author has collected interesting stories that were new to me, although they were adapted from classic collections. They were the perfect length for reading to my kids before bed and keeping their interest.

I received this book from the Early Reviewers program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Cora-R | Feb 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I couldn't get back into reading after the election, I finally turned to Celtic Tales, a collection of "Fairy Tales and Stories of Enchantment from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales". The unfamiliar stories and the beautiful artwork by Kate Forrester immediately drew me in. There's a great interview with the illustrator on the UK publisher's page about her inspiration, color choices, and more.

Looking at the pictures in this book, one is practically inspired to write their own tale. Each story has its own artwork and there's even a bookmark ribbon -- always the mark of a quality volume. Celtic Tales would be the perfect gift for kids or adults who love tricksters, heroes, and creatures.

http://webereading.com/2016/12/favorite-new-gift-books.html ( )
  klpm | Dec 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Firstly, the picture does not do the book justice. The knots around the border and the title are raised to the touch. It just *feels* wonderful. Each tale inside has a corresponding picture featuring Forrester's lovely silhouette art. The stories themselves are adapted from 19th and early 20th century books of folklore, featuring tales from Ireland, Wales, Brittany, and Scotland.

The stories are ones I had never encountered before and are full of witches, fairies, sorcery, and magic. Protagonists make deals with brownies and defeat enchanted beasts. Some even learn a bit of humility along the way. These stories do not possess the darkness of the Grimm tales, and all have happy endings.

I had a lot of fun reading this book and admiring the artwork within. I'd recommend it to middle-grade students and above. ( )
  Jessiqa | Nov 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Selkies, wyverns, witches, and giants.
Perilous quests, true love, and animals that talk.

The perfect gift for anyone who loves folklore and fairy tales!

Celtic Tales collects and "lightly" adapts 16 stories from four works* published in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The tales are organized into Tricksters, The Sea, Quests, and Romance.

Bold, vibrant illustrations introduce each story. (Have a look at a small sample on the illustrator's website.) Nearly all of the stories were unfamiliar to me, but I'm relatively new to reading Celtic folklore. My favorite was "The Black Bull of Norroway," which reminded me of an episode of The Storyteller.

Beautiful hardcover edition! I kept running my hand over the cover, feeling the raised knots, then the title -- gorgeous.

4.5 stars

*The Scottish Fairy Book, Wonder Tales of Ancient Wales, Folk Tales of Brittany, and Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Nov 9, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145215175X, Hardcover)

The traditional stories of Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales transport us to the fantastical world of Celtic folklore. Translated and transcribed by folklorists in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the 16 stories in this compilation conjure forgotten realms and rare magical creatures in vivid prose. These timeless tales brim with wit and magic, and each one is brought to life with elegant silhouette art by Kate Forrester in this special illustrated edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 04 Aug 2016 18:12:49 -0400)

"The traditional stories of Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales transport us to the fantastical world of Celtic folklore. These timeless tales brim with wit and magic, and each one is brought to life with elegant silhouette art in this special illustrated edition." -- Page [4] cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate Forrester's book Celtic Tales was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,469,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible