One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline

One Perfect Lie (edition 2017)

by Lisa Scottoline (Author)

Member:scoutlee
Title:One Perfect Lie
Authors:Lisa Scottoline (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2017, ebook 2017, new release 2017, mystery/suspense, Pennsylvania

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline

This one was really hard to get into. And so not to give anything away, when it got to part 2 and shifted gears I got slightly more interested. I usually love a good thriller but I just couldn't get to excited about this one. Seemed to work way too hard to pull on the pieces together. ( )
  she_climber | May 24, 2017 |
My perseverance has finally paid off. Until One Perfect Lie, my experience of books by Lisa Scottoline hadn't been too positive. I read Most Wanted and Every Fifteen Minutes and was disappointed. I REALLY enjoyed One Perfect Lie though.
When the protagonist, Chris Brennan, an expert liar, charmed his way into Central Valley High School becoming its new Baseball coach and AP Government teacher and started befriending some of the boys, I was hooked immediately. I loved that sinister perspective. I was pretty much convinced I had the story all figured out. That was until the twist that had me thinking "oh, here we go again, it's going downhill from here."
But once I recovered from the complete surprise, I was actually on board with it all. The story was different from what I had expected, but I tend to like a good high-school, small-town saga with a lot of family drama and this fit the bill. Much of the story is from Chris' perspective, but there are also the point of views of three of the mothers whose sons Chris is coaching. Each family is struggling with their own set of problems and secrets. The characters drew me in and all the secrets and mysterious happenings kept this interesting all the way. Crime, suspense, action, family drama and even a bit of romance, this had a good mix of everything.
I felt it went a little over the top towards the end but still remained entertaining throughout. A very creatively plotted and unique story. So, third time lucky, I can now see why this author has such a following, and I will continue reading her books hoping to pick up a few more like this one. ( )
  Pet12 | May 16, 2017 |
Chris Brennan is on another undercover assignment looking for domestic terrorists at a high school. He becomes the assistant baseball coach to gather information, and in doing so becomes emotionally entangled with the boys he coaches, as well as with one of the moms. After some daring escapades in which his cover is blown, Chris, really Curt, must decide how he wants to live the rest of his life. An interesting story about domestic terrorism, but a very predictable love story that leads to a boring end. ( )
  Susan.Macura | May 7, 2017 |
This was my first Lisa Scottoline book, and it was well worth it! Set in a high school with all of the kinds of kids and adults you would expect in a great storyline about a suspected terrorist bombing. There is an undercover ATF agent at the local high school because one of those involved is potentially a high school student. The book was well written with well developed characters that you would love or hate! It was easy to get enveloped by the characters and storyline and care about the the outcome. Quite a few twists and turns, some I did not expect. Great book! I will be checking out some of her other books now. ( )
  BonnieKernene | May 5, 2017 |
One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline is a highly recommended thriller.
When Chris Brennan moves to Central Valley, a small town in Pennsylvania, he lets us know right from the start that he's not who he says he is. His name is not really "Chris Brennan." His impressive credentials as he applies to teach at the high school are fake. He's an assistant coach in baseball, although he's never coached before, so he can find the perfect teenage boy. Chris has some kind of secret plan that involves a making a bomb with ammonium chloride fertilizer and it looks like he wants to find a teenage boy to help him pull his plans together. He's only planning to be in Central Valley for a week and he is looking at a boy from the baseball team to assist him.

There are three boys Chris is looking at, and Scottoline follows the point of view of the mothers of these boys and Chris in their alternating narratives.
Susan Sematov's son, Raz, is a member of the team. Her whole family is suffering because their father died a few months ago. Is Raz vulnerable enough to be the one Chris is looking for?
Heather Larkin is a single mother raising her only son Jordan, who is a rookie on the team. Jordan is reserved, but growing up without a father might make him susceptible for Chris's plan.
Mindy Kostis's son Evan is the star catcher of the team. They are a wealthy family. Her husband is a surgeon, Mindy leads the baseball boosters. Evan has grown up without need, was recently given a new BMW, and has a sense of entitlement. Could boredom lead him to look for something more dangerous?

The opening chapters of One Perfect Lie are pretty grim and there is an ominous, dire feeling as you read them wondering what are Chris's real plans and what boy is he going to pick to use to accomplish what must be some nefarious activity. Meeting the mothers of the boys adds to the tension and the backstory of the boys and their home life. Just before the half way point of the novel, the narrative does a huge double flip twist that will shock and surprise you. After the twist, things take off at a break-neck pace to the exciting conclusion.

The characters are all well-developed and finely drawn with a depth of emotion and reality that is nice to see in a thriller. We know Chris's inner thoughts and those of the three mothers. The family life of the boys is explored and depicted in a realistic manner. Scottoline captures the difficulties of raising teenagers today and the realistic struggles many families go through.

The writing is excellent. Scottoline will really throw readers for a loop in this one, especially with one of the twists. Some of the others were easier to predict. This is a thoroughly enjoyable thriller and is a perfect stuck-overnight-at -the-airport book which will keep you entertained for hours.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of St. Martin's Press.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1989487424 ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | May 3, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible