The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel

The Roanoke Girls (2017)

by Amy Engel

24711946,499 (3.53)21

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was drawn into this book from the first page. The characters are extremely well written and really come alive as the book continues. There are twists and turns that never failed to surprise me and I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Despite dealing with disturbing subjects, Engel maintained the integrity of the book and made it all very believable. I would definitely recommend this book to someone else, but not without fair warning first. ( )
  becca_telese | May 28, 2017 |
♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪
♫Picking a song for this was difficult…if you've read it then you know, nothing is really quite right…but if I picked something, than it would be Alive by Sia…sometimes they fit for Lane…and sometimes they fit for Allegra and even for Cooper sometimes. Overall, it's a really moving song and so is this book…regardless of how twisted it really is. ♫

Book Title: Roanoke Girls
Source: Audiobook (Library)

OVERALL RATING: 5/5 STARS
GRADE = A+

⇝My Thoughts⇜

What a versatile storyteller Amy Engel has turned out to be. I've also read her YA Duology; The Book of Ivy. This is nothing like that…I would have to say it's not YA, either. Small town seediness at it's most seedy. A sick and twisted affair to be sure…and yet, so addicting. I could not stop listening, even though I knew where it was headed. beautifully and hauntingly written...but so f*cked up! Warning: It will, at least partially, if not wholly...wreck you. You'll seriously be thinking...

⇝Ratings Breakdown⇜

Originality: 5/5
Book Cover: 3/5
Narration: 5/5
Ending: 5/5 Cliffhanger: Nope

Will I read more from this Author? Yeah, I will ( )
  Leah422 | May 26, 2017 |
This is a well written story about family dysfunction. On the wall are photos of the Roanoke Girls, each one with a tragic end of either suicide or accidental death. Two young teenaged Roanoke Girls remain. One who has lived in the mansion Roanoke home all her life. Her grandfather and grandmother live with her. The other, flees New York to visit Roanoke after the suicide of her mother.

While other Roanoke family girls have rapidly fled, one remains. When her cousin visits, she finds a kinship. Because of their childhoods, they never know how to form solid relationships. Affection from a man other than their grandfather seems more than awkward and game playing with the emotions of other men is the norm.

As the book progresses the reader wonders if the remaining Roanoke girls will transcend the swirling miasma of their grandfathers unhealthy attention, and will somehow, unlike all the other Roanoke girls who are dead, or mentally burdened, make it through with a healthy, steady life away from the money, a cold, hardened grandmother and the ever beguiling, controlling handsome grandfather.

After a summer visit, the one flees while the other keeps her promise to remain. Called back to Roanoke when word comes from her grandfather that her cousin is missing, it appears only one Roanoke girl now remains to find all the puzzle pieces and hopefully rescue her cousin in the hope that she has not met the fate of the previous "Roanoke Girls."

I highly recommend this one. Four Stars!
  Whisper1 | May 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the author's style of writing in this book as well as the storyline, though it wasn't what I originally thought it would be. I enjoyed the story and would recommend it to anyone. ( )
  lkevelyn | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading this book. And all around great story. Highly recommend The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel to all readers of fiction! I received this Advanced Readers Copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote Devlindusty | May 4, 2017 |
Look at this tangle of thorns. - Vladimir Nabokov
For Brian, you know why
The first time I saw Roanoke was a dream.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Amy Engel's book The Roanoke Girls is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible