The Unquiet: A Thriller by John Connolly

The Unquiet: A Thriller (2007)

by John Connolly

Series: Charlie Parker (6)

English (16)  Spanish (5)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (24)
This story was a little bleak. It’s well written but I didn’t enjoy it as much as the previous books. ( )
  Arkrayder | Jun 26, 2018 |
Charlie Parker is asked by Rebecca Clay to help look for her missing father who she has declared dead. Charlie uncovers a disturbing child sex ring.

This is book number six in the Charlie Parker series. I have previously read number twelve. I would however prefer to read books in order. I then can get a feel for the characters and their back stories, and basically just get to know them. My exception to my rule are the Jack Reacher novels.

This book I didn't enjoy very much. Firstly the subject matter with the abuse of children was very disturbing. Secondly I felt it was way too long. The book could have got away quite easily with at least hundred pages less.

I did find Charlie quite likeable but very complex. He has a lot going on and for me this is where I prefer to read books in order. There is also the character called The Collector. He seems to have appeared in previous books and I know hes still rattling around in book twelve.

I would enjoy these books more if I read them in order but I feel that I haven't enjoyed the two books I have read to start the series. I like the fact that there is a supernatural element to the stories.

As I said I started off enjoying the book but slowly felt bogged down by it and started to get bored. I did skip to get to the end for the big reveal. Not really for me but do know that Charlie Parker has a good following. ( )
  tina1969 | Nov 8, 2016 |
"The Unquiet" is an effective horror story that proves once again the truth of Shakespeare's statement: "the evil that men do lives after them." Slowly and inexorably, Charlie Parker uncovers the horrifying misdeeds and unravels the tangled web of deceit that men without conscience created to shield themselves from justice. Inevitably, the past and the present converge, with predictably violent results. This book is a stylish and unsettling thriller with superior descriptive writing, memorable characters, and a bone-chilling conclusion. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
When Rebecca Clay asks Parker to search for her missing, and now declared dead, father Daniel Clay, little does Parker know that this is going to lead him into a morass of child abuse and people who don't want the truth to come out, no matter how many bodies they have to leave behind.

The series inexorably drifts in a more horror/supernatural way and his sanity is starting to get more broken. Everyday reality is a place that is starting to be infected with the supernatural and it's starting to echo in his life.

Still interesting though. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 30, 2015 |
In March of 2009, I started reading Charlie’s journey through the criminal underworld with “Every Dead Thing”. While having a little supernatural stuff thrown in there, his character reminded me of a “Batman-ish” vigilante. You had the classic story line of a traumatic event happening to an undeserving person which leads into spending their life trying to make amends for what happened. I loved it – I was hooked right away. The first book was full of such anger, he hated the world and wanted justice for the murder of his wife and child.

With Connolly’s “The Unquiet”, we’re six books in and two removed from one of the best Parker novels yet, “The White Road”. In this installment, we find Parker dealing with the separation from the mother of his second child. He picks up a job protecting the daughter of a long since missing child psychologist, Daniel Clay. Daniel’s daughter, Rebecca, is being troubled by a man who believes Daniel is still alive. The man in question, Merrick, desperately wants to find the location of Daniel about some unfinished business. Daniel Clay’s disappearance is linked to a scandal involving a case of alleged child abuse leading to death which had subsequently ruined his career. However, nothing was actually confirmed on whether Mr. Clay had anything to do with the events in question, just that his disappearance seems to indicate his involvement.

Parker’s life is just a huge mess. He can’t seem to make a decision between what he believes is his moral obligation to seek out and help those troubled in life and accepting his role as a father and family man. The novel spends a good chunk of time on the personal life; heavily sinking into Parker’s dilemma. It’s like he’s just sulking around, hoping things will clear themselves up. He seems to have no desire to make any sort of final decision.

Despite my feelings on Parker, his associates Louis and Angel remain excellent. Louis has some of the best lines I’ve read in this series. From his rant on hockey to his explanation of his political views; I just loved him.

I’m a huge fan of Connolly’s wit and sarcastic humor but with a brooding Parker, the novel seems to just fall a little short of what I’m used to. Maybe that’s what Connolly was going for but it’s not something I’m a fan of – at least not this far into the Parker saga. I think the novel also suffered from its length. Finishing at just over 500 pages, I felt it could have been a little tighter. A lot seemed like filler to me.

Despite my overall feelings toward the book, it had a superb ending. Connolly wraps things up well and treats the reader to an epilogue which progresses to the next book nicely. I have to admit, I was intrigued by something hinted at in the final pages – enough to make me pick up the next book right away. Actually, the final 100 pages or so really saved this. If not for some key events occurring before the conclusion, this could’ve been completely forgettable and feel like a less than perfect entry in the Parker series.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Connolly, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, Jay O.Readersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavasz, Mariannasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily Bestler, with much affection, and with thanks for persevering
This world is full of broken things: broken hearts, broken promises, broken people.

That is the nature of revenge. It escalates. It cannot be controlled. One hurt invites another, on and on until the original injury is all but forgotten in the chaos of what follows.

Daniel Clay, a once-respected psychiatrist, has gone missing. His daughter insists that he killed himself after allegations surfaced surrounding the harm done to patients in his care. Now, a killer obsessed with finding the truth about his own daughter’s disappearance is seeking revenge—and private investigator Charlie Parker finds himself trapped between those who want the truth about Clay’s disappearance to be revealed, and those who will go to any length—no matter the cost—to keep a deep, dark secret about a local town hidden.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

In the aftermath of a once-respected psychiatrist's disappearance and the discovery of harm he had inflicted on his child patients, private detective Charlie Parker finds himself torn between those who would reveal and protect the doctor's secrets.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible