The Unquiet by John Connolly

The Unquiet (2007)

by John Connolly

Series: Charlie Parker (6)

English (14)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (21)
In March of 2009, I started reading Charlie’s journey through the criminal underworld with “Every Dead Thing”. While having a little supernatural stuff thrown in there, his character reminded me of a “Batman-ish” vigilante. You had the classic story line of a traumatic event happening to an undeserving person which leads into spending their life trying to make amends for what happened. I loved it – I was hooked right away. The first book was full of such anger, he hated the world and wanted justice for the murder of his wife and child.

With Connolly’s “The Unquiet”, we’re six books in and two removed from one of the best Parker novels yet, “The White Road”. In this installment, we find Parker dealing with the separation from the mother of his second child. He picks up a job protecting the daughter of a long since missing child psychologist, Daniel Clay. Daniel’s daughter, Rebecca, is being troubled by a man who believes Daniel is still alive. The man in question, Merrick, desperately wants to find the location of Daniel about some unfinished business. Daniel Clay’s disappearance is linked to a scandal involving a case of alleged child abuse leading to death which had subsequently ruined his career. However, nothing was actually confirmed on whether Mr. Clay had anything to do with the events in question, just that his disappearance seems to indicate his involvement.

Parker’s life is just a huge mess. He can’t seem to make a decision between what he believes is his moral obligation to seek out and help those troubled in life and accepting his role as a father and family man. The novel spends a good chunk of time on the personal life; heavily sinking into Parker’s dilemma. It’s like he’s just sulking around, hoping things will clear themselves up. He seems to have no desire to make any sort of final decision.

Despite my feelings on Parker, his associates Louis and Angel remain excellent. Louis has some of the best lines I’ve read in this series. From his rant on hockey to his explanation of his political views; I just loved him.

I’m a huge fan of Connolly’s wit and sarcastic humor but with a brooding Parker, the novel seems to just fall a little short of what I’m used to. Maybe that’s what Connolly was going for but it’s not something I’m a fan of – at least not this far into the Parker saga. I think the novel also suffered from its length. Finishing at just over 500 pages, I felt it could have been a little tighter. A lot seemed like filler to me.

Despite my overall feelings toward the book, it had a superb ending. Connolly wraps things up well and treats the reader to an epilogue which progresses to the next book nicely. I have to admit, I was intrigued by something hinted at in the final pages – enough to make me pick up the next book right away. Actually, the final 100 pages or so really saved this. If not for some key events occurring before the conclusion, this could’ve been completely forgettable and feel like a less than perfect entry in the Parker series.

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The Unquiet is typical John Connolly - dark, engrossing, and extremely well-written. I would recommend picking up his short story collection Nocturnes before reading this one, though, because one of the bad guys in The Unquiet first showed up in the Charlie Parker novella that was in Nocturnes. That novella had been my first introduction to Charlie, and while I could vaguely recall the story, encountering the bad guy again in The Unquiet would have had more of an effect on me if I'd read it more recently. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
In this book, we follow Charlie Parker, PI, who has been hired to help a woman with a stalker problem. But things are not as it seems, since the stalker actually wants information about her missing father. Charlie start investigating and quickly realize that multiple forces are at play. A good book, I read it as a stand alone (I have previously read other of the Charlie Parker series, but it was a long time ago and I seem to have missed a few) So I was a bit unsure about some the missing information relating to his personnal story, but I still enjoyed it. ( )
  ct.bergeron | Dec 9, 2012 |
my listening to this was quite disjointed. the reader seemed good but i didn't quite follow it. ( )
  mahallett | Sep 25, 2010 |
really liked it, charlie parker should stop wallowing in guilt ( )
  julianne.pask | Jul 26, 2009 |

John Connollyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily Bestler, with much affection, and with thanks for persevering
This world is full of broken things: broken hearts, broken promises, broken people.

That is the nature of revenge. It escalates. It cannot be controlled. One hurt invites another, on and on until the original injury is all but forgotten in the chaos of what follows.

Daniel Clay, a once-respected psychiatrist, has gone missing. His daughter insists that he killed himself after allegations surfaced surrounding the harm done to patients in his care. Now, a killer obsessed with finding the truth about his own daughter’s disappearance is seeking revenge—and private investigator Charlie Parker finds himself trapped between those who want the truth about Clay’s disappearance to be revealed, and those who will go to any length—no matter the cost—to keep a deep, dark secret about a local town hidden.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:29 -0400)

In the aftermath of a once-respected psychiatrist's disappearance and the discovery of harm he had inflicted on his child patients, private detective Charlie Parker finds himself torn between those who would reveal and protect the doctor's secrets.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible