The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Spellman Files (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:phoebesmum
Title:The Spellman Files
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, to oxfam it goes

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (2007)

A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries) by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humour and banter among characters.
    Heist Society by Ally Carter (infiniteletters)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both families with lots of love, but so dysfunctional that it hurts.
    One For The Money by Janet Evanovich (Candice_oxo)
    Diver Down by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar kind of humour and also about a family of private investigators
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy by Leslie Langtry (infiniteletters)

English (177)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (179)
Entertaining quick read with quirky characters, first book of a series I'll be reading more of. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
Just heard about this book which is the first in an series about the Spellman family, private investigators in San Francisco. Don't know how I missed it when it came out in 2008. I would classify this as a light mystery. Delightfully funny about a dysfunctional family with a P.I. business which even employs Rae, the youngest child who started working there while in grade school. All of the characters are witty and slightly offbeat. The main character, Izzy, is a 20-something who can't keep a boyfriend and has more than her share of woes straddling the fine line between being a Spellman employee and a Spellman daughter. ANd if that's not enough there are cases to solve. There are six book in the series so I have a lot of catching up to do. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 10, 2016 |
It's not so much the cases that get solved in this book as it is the main character that really keeps you reading.

Isabel Spellman (Izzy) works for the family business. She is the product of a father (Albert) who comes from a long line of policemen and a petite brunette (Olivia) who knows the ins and outs of the family business, and the family business. Did I mention the business is Spellman Investigations? Yup, Izzy is a P.I. and one tough cookie.

All the Spellmans are tough cookies and always on their toes. To keep up with the necessary abilities needed for their work they practice spying, tailing, bugging and other necessary activities on each other. Talk about no privacy!

Izzy does not have the best luck in the romance department. At 28 she has gone through a number of boyfriends and is still not married. Be it poor judgement or the prospective beaux having to deal with her family and her family's inquisitiveness, she has a list of exes.

There are also three other family members that factor into Izzy's crazy world. Her 14 year old sister, Rae, her Uncle Ray and her older brother David. Rae is named for Ray. Both have their own quirks. Rae (the girl) finds casual surveillance, or tailing people, a form of relaxation. Her goal is to be like her older sister Izzy. Uncle Ray enjoys 'lost weekends' where he spends time gambling and drinking to excess in strange motels. Both have worked for the family business. David doesn't work for the Spellman Investigations. He quit at a young age and furthered his education, becoming an attourney. He was the perfect child.

This wild group provides lots of laughs as they stomp though each others lives and work on the various cases the business takes on. I found I had to keep reading because I wanted to know the next situation Izzy would find herself in and how she would get out of it.

This is the first in a short series of books and I'm looking forward to the next book. A Goodread to me! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
The Spellmans are a family of dysfunctional investigators who seem to spend most of their time investigating and sabotaging one another. Isabel drinks too much, keeps lists of ex-boyfriends (and it's pretty easy to understand why they are EX-boyfriends) as well as other relevant documents, and tries to keep her little sister out of trouble when she is not helping her get into trouble. She tells us her story in the first person.

This is a mystery of sorts, but not a grisly one. There is a child who disappears, and one dark section towards the end of the book. Overall though, it is light, fluffy reading about deeply flawed but likable if not entirely believable characters.

I enjoyed it. However, occasionally it got a bit too contrived, and the lists got a bit old. It sometimes felt like the author was just trying to hard. This is the first book in a series, and despite the minor flaws, I'll probably give the next one a try. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jun 5, 2016 |
The family business is snooping. The firm of Spellman Investigations, mom, pop, daughters, and alcoholic uncle are unconcerned about some abstract idea like a right to privacy, not for the people their clients want them to watch and not for other members of the family. This is what puts the fun in dysfunctional for these clan capers as twenty-eight-year-old Izzy tries to keep her love life of serial ex-boyfriends separate from her relatives, and keep her younger sister Rae from her Harriet the Spy hobby of recreational surveillance. A hobby that is surely the reason for her sudden disappearance. ( )
  MaowangVater | May 28, 2016 |
For David Klane
I duck into the parking garage, hoping to escape.
Please do not combine abridged versions with this, the complete version.

New. Free tracking. Fast shipment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

Izzy Spellman launches her career as a private investigator while working for the firm of her outlandishly dysfunctional family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,133,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible