The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Spellman Files (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:phoebesmum
Title:The Spellman Files
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, to oxfam it goes

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (2007)

A Good Man Gone by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humour and banter among characters.
    Diver Down by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar kind of humour and also about a family of private investigators
    Bubbles a Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both families with lots of love, but so dysfunctional that it hurts.
    'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy by Leslie Langtry (infiniteletters)
    Heist Society by Ally Carter (infiniteletters)

English (147)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (149)
[Note: I listened to an abridged version of this book on audio.]

Meet Izzy Spellman, a woman with a checkered past and an unusual family business: private investigation. They take it to extremes, including spying on each other on a regular basis. When Izzy realizes that she can never have a normal life unless she leaves, her parents/bosses send her on one last assignment: a 15-year-old missing-persons case. The whole thing is very funny, especially Izzy's commentary on her past transgressions, but the ending takes a dark turn and comes across as very strange. I suppose it might have been leading up to a sequel, but on its own it left me a little bit unsure as to how I felt about things. But up until that point it was a lot of fun. ( )
  melydia | Sep 19, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 9, 2014 |
Probably a good readalike for those who like Janet Evanovich. Same type of quirky characters. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
A fun frolic with lots of twists and turns. Great characters crazy plot page-turning unique read. Good for summer time light reading. Lighter more down to earth version of Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I may give the second in this series a look, because other people have raved about the author, but I'm not expecting to like it, much. In this, book one, the mystery was OK, though I saw the outcome about half the book before the protagonist did, and the writing was not bad. Humorous, even. But, and its a big but -- people with no boundaries are sick and dangerous to others. Virtually every primary character in the story had no boundaries at all. In fact, that lack of boundaries was a plot element. Supposedly, they reformed at the end (under legal contract to do so) but I'll believe that if I see it in the second book. The author may have been going for madcap, but really...it was just crazy, and not the good kind.

Came thisclose to "couldn't finish", but since the preface and acknowledgments took up a good 10-12% of the book, I figured I might as well stick it out to the end. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |

New. Free tracking. Fast shipment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:25 -0400)

Izzy Spellman launches her career as a private investigator while working for the firm of her outlandishly dysfunctional family.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible