The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Spellman Files (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:phoebesmum
Title:The Spellman Files
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, to oxfam it goes

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (2007)

A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries) by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humour and banter among characters.
    Heist Society by Ally Carter (infiniteletters)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both families with lots of love, but so dysfunctional that it hurts.
    One For The Money by Janet Evanovich (Candice_oxo)
    Diver Down by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar kind of humour and also about a family of private investigators
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery Romance) by Leslie Langtry (infiniteletters)

English (174)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (176)
The family business is snooping. The firm of Spellman Investigations, mom, pop, daughters, and alcoholic uncle are unconcerned about some abstract idea like a right to privacy, not for the people their clients want them to watch and not for other members of the family. This is what puts the fun in dysfunctional for these clan capers as twenty-eight-year-old Izzy tries to keep her love life of serial ex-boyfriends separate from her relatives, and keep her younger sister Rae from her Harriet the Spy hobby of recreational surveillance. A hobby that is surely the reason for her sudden disappearance.
  MaowangVater | May 28, 2016 |
Loved it. Fantastically crafted. Funny and entertaining. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
The SPELLMAN SERIES this wonderfully hilarious series that I can only best describe as a kids book for adults. There are currently five books in the series, therefore, this should bring me back up to date with my reviews.

It is written in the first person, our narrator is one Isabel Spellman otherwise known as Izzy, at the start of the series she is 28-years old, living with her parents, hanging out with a grandfatherly aged man named Mort, and working for the family business Spellman investigations. Set in San Francisco, the wit, dialogue, and relationships between the characters will have you hooked from the beginning.

The Spellman Series, QUOTED in order below:

“What’s her name?”

“None of your business.”

“That can’t possibly be her name.”
-THE SPELLMAN FILES

“ISABEL: Sorry I missed my session Monday.

DR. RUSH: Would you like to tell me why?

ISABEL: I was depressed.

DR. RUSH: That’s a good reason to come to therapy.”
-REVENGE OF THE SPELLMANS

“If people really grew up, there would be no crime, no divorce, no Civil War reenactors…. it’s not like you think it will be, that one day you’ll wake up and realize that you’ve got things figured out. You never figure it out. Ever.” - Isabel Spellman attempting to explain growing up to her sister Rae”

-CURSE OF THE SPELLMANS

“Our ability to adapt is amazing. Our ability to change isn’t quite as spectacular.”

-THE SPELLMANS STRIKE AGAIN

“When they entered the house, Rae spotted my mother napping on the living room sofa.

“The Eagle is sleeping,” She whispered.

“Where is the Gopher?” Dad asked.

Unaware that I was the Gopher, I exited the kitchen and headed into the office, brushing past my kin as if they were invisible.

“The Gopher is on the move,” My father said in a conspiratorial whisper.

-TRAIL OF THE SPELLMANS ( )
  TamaraJCollins | Mar 10, 2016 |

The Spellman Series, QUOTED in order below:

“What’s her name?”

“None of your business.”

“That can’t possibly be her name.”
-THE SPELLMAN FILES

“ISABEL: Sorry I missed my session Monday.

DR. RUSH: Would you like to tell me why?

ISABEL: I was depressed.

DR. RUSH: That’s a good reason to come to therapy.”
-REVENGE OF THE SPELLMANS

-CURSE OF THE SPELLMANS

-THE SPELLMANS STRIKE AGAIN

“The Eagle is sleeping,” She whispered.

“Where is the Gopher?” Dad asked.

“The Gopher is on the move,” My father said in a conspiratorial whisper.

-TRAIL OF THE SPELLMANS ( )
  TamaraJCollins | Mar 10, 2016 |
Cute, light reading ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
For David Klane
I duck into the parking garage, hoping to escape.
Please do not combine abridged versions with this, the complete version.

New. Free tracking. Fast shipment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

Izzy Spellman launches her career as a private investigator while working for the firm of her outlandishly dysfunctional family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,924,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible