The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Spellman Files (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:phoebesmum
Title:The Spellman Files
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, to oxfam it goes

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (2007)

Recently added byMirandalg14, booknest, SuziQoregon
    A Good Man Gone by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humour and banter among characters.
    Diver Down by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar kind of humour and also about a family of private investigators
    Bubbles a Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both families with lots of love, but so dysfunctional that it hurts.
    'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy by Leslie Langtry (infiniteletters)
    Heist Society by Ally Carter (infiniteletters)

English (145)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (147)
Probably a good readalike for those who like Janet Evanovich. Same type of quirky characters. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
A fun frolic with lots of twists and turns. Great characters crazy plot page-turning unique read. Good for summer time light reading. Lighter more down to earth version of Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I may give the second in this series a look, because other people have raved about the author, but I'm not expecting to like it, much. In this, book one, the mystery was OK, though I saw the outcome about half the book before the protagonist did, and the writing was not bad. Humorous, even. But, and its a big but -- people with no boundaries are sick and dangerous to others. Virtually every primary character in the story had no boundaries at all. In fact, that lack of boundaries was a plot element. Supposedly, they reformed at the end (under legal contract to do so) but I'll believe that if I see it in the second book. The author may have been going for madcap, but really...it was just crazy, and not the good kind.

Came thisclose to "couldn't finish", but since the preface and acknowledgments took up a good 10-12% of the book, I figured I might as well stick it out to the end. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
3.5 stars.

The crazy antics of an insane family make up this hilarious book.

There's mystery, there's romance, there's bucket loads of humor, there's drama(spades of it), there's angst. The Spellman Files lack for nothing. The only thing that stops me from giving this book a full 4 stars(I'd have given it a whole hearted 5 if there'd been more romance) is that there were moments when I couldn't actually believe that this family was real. The kids got away with waaayyy too much for me to believe that the Spellmans could actually exist.

And that kind of disappointed me. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
So far this book is fast-paced and funny. I would compare Lutz to authors like Cabot and Kinsella. My husband enjoyed it, but I think it would be a book more popular with women. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |

New. Free tracking. Fast shipment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:25 -0400)

Izzy Spellman launches her career as a private investigator while working for the firm of her outlandishly dysfunctional family.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible