The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Spellman Files (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:phoebesmum
Title:The Spellman Files
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, to oxfam it goes

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (2007)

Recently added byssomme, nospi, seapetal, private library, MaureenCean, VivienneR, AnaKurland, TheYodamom, ellenuw, scottpf
    A Good Man Gone (Mercy Watts Mysteries) by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar humour and banter among characters.
    Heist Society by Ally Carter (infiniteletters)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both families with lots of love, but so dysfunctional that it hurts.
    One For The Money by Janet Evanovich (Candice_oxo)
    Diver Down by A.W. Hartoin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar kind of humour and also about a family of private investigators
    Bubbles A Broad by Sarah Strohmeyer (glade1)
    Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Mystery Romance) by Leslie Langtry (infiniteletters)

English (169)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (171)
Like another reviewer, I am at the beach, where I was laughing aloud. Smart and clever, somehow not as implausible as Stephanie Plum, but still completely over the top, despite a pretty serious, but in no way bothersome, lack of action to extend the comparison to Plum. A more intelligent cast of characters. Recommended for a light and amusing read. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
The inaugural novel in The Spellman Files mystery series introduces us to the series' protagonist, the 28-year-old Isabel "Izzy" Spellman, a licensed PI in her family's detective agency. Although there are suspenseful moments when Izzy's precocious little sister, Rae, disappears or when Izzy bulldogs a 12-year-old cold missing-person's case, the primary charm and humor of the novel lies within the interactions of the eccentric family members. For example, Rae practices her surveillance skills by following and photographing various family members, including Izzy's dates and alcoholic uncle, and then blackmailing them. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
This was a very fun book. It was a mystery, suspense, story of a dysfunctional family and romantic relationships, and hilarious. That is a feat for an author!

Isabel is a woman-child with great connections, few friendships and a riotous family. I was hooked at the very beginning and could not put it down. I made several comparisons with Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum character, but this one was more real to me. A character in the book describes her as a combination of Dirty Harry and Nancy Drew, and I thought that was perfect.

I am glad I have the rest of this series and will dive into book two as soon as I can.

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
MEH! For this I stayed up until 12:30?

This is the second book I've read in this saga and it is most likely the last.

I believe (and I could be wrong & too lazy to check) this is the first in the "Spellman Family" saga. It deals with missing people: Uncle Ray, sister Rae, & Andrew Snow. I actually figured out what happened to Andrew early on.... I also figured out what happened to Rae. We also get to know all about Isabel's ex-boyfriend #9 (the Dentist) & their relationship.

Although it was funny in parts, I really do not like the characters, they are very bent, rude, know no boundaries, disrespectful people, no matter the fact that they are all P.I.s, their disrespect for each other borders on personality disorder psychosis. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This novel is about a family of private investigators, the Spellmans. It is told from the point of view of Isabel Spellman, the grown middle child in the family. For the Spellman's, investigation is not just a job, it is a way of life. They regularly tail each other, run background checks on friends and dates, and invade each other's privacy. When she finally has enough of living a life of constant suspicion and surveillance, Isabel decides to leave the family business for a more normal life, but she agrees to take one last case before she leaves. The case she is assigned is a cold, decades old missing person's case. Is this a case that can be solved, or will it remain a mystery forever.

This was a fun and quirky book. I liked most of the characters despite their paranoia and strange behavior. The cold case was interesting and different, however it was not the main focus of the book. The middle of the book began to drag a little for me. But it picked up again once the mysteries took the focus again. I will definitely continue reading other books in the series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
For David Klane
I duck into the parking garage, hoping to escape.

New. Free tracking. Fast shipment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

Izzy Spellman launches her career as a private investigator while working for the firm of her outlandishly dysfunctional family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible