Winds Of Darkover by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Member:pattermj
Title:Winds Of Darkover
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley
Info:Ace (1980), Paperback

Winds of Darkover by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1970)

French (2)  English (2)  All languages (4)
Noted during my 1980's attempt to read every book in my small town library.
  juniperSun | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is an enjoyable novel, but not one of the more memorable in the series, and definitely not the one I'd recommend as an entry into the series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society ruled by a psychic aristocracy and is later rediscovered by a star-spanning advanced human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. Most books in the series examine this culture clash and this book is no exception as a member of the Terran spaceforce, Dan Barron, gets involved with the comyn, the planetary aristocracy.

The series was written out of chronological order, and Bradley wrote them so they could each stand alone. And this particular book has few connections to other books, many of which do have recurring characters. This was the fifth book published, and I think Bradley came into her own as a writer later, and the best Darkover books were in my opinion written from 1974 to 1984, before her stroke. So I'd start perhaps with The Shattered Chain, which is where the friend who introduced me to this series told me to start, or The Spell Sword and it's immediate sequel Forbidden Tower or Heritage of Hastur. Once you're hooked on the series, yes you'll want to read this one, it's a fun yarn, but not one of the essentials. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 21, 2012 |

Reinert, KirkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojtekCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, CoreyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barron fourra ses affaires dans un sac à dos, serra la coulisse et dit tout haut :
- Voilà, c'est décidé, et qu'ils aillent au diable.

The planet Darkover bathed in its blood red sun - served as a convenient space port for the Terran Empire. Beyond that the Terrans knew little of the planet's strange landscape - its vast mountain ranges, its deadly winds and its hostile inhabitants. Dan Barron, a simple space port despatcher, found himself alone and helpless in this alien world. A victim of powerful psychic forces beyond the comprehension of scientific man, he is irresistibly drawn into a life and death struggle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible