The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond

The Year of Fog

by Michelle Richmond

English (72)  French (1)  All languages (73)
The Year of Fog (Bantam Discovery) I purchased this book at a local library sale for .50 cents. It looked interesting although I knew it would be a hard story to read. Abby is about to marry Jake and become a stepparent to Emma. Six-year-old Emma vanished into the thick San Francisco fog. Or into the heaving Pacific. Or somewhere just beyond: to a parking lot, a stranger’s van, or a road with traffic flashing by. Devastated by guilt, haunted by her fears about becoming a stepmother, Abby refuses to believe that Emma is dead. This story was not such a tear jerker as I was expecting. It was more suspenseful and addicting. I could not put this book down and finished it in a day! I was on the edge of my seat hoping and praying she would find Emma. Hoping here and Jake would reconnect and stay a couple. I am not sure why this story got a low rating because to be honest I recommend this. It is an easy read and good for a beginner. ( )
  cewtypye | May 14, 2014 |
How do you go forward when you lose your boyfriend's daughter? Well-written, engaging and thoughtful.

Bookcrossing: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8375635/
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Lately I'm compelled to read books set in San Francisco. Now that school is over, I feel like I can finally participate in my city and for me, that definitely includes books set in the city or by SF authors.

This one is particularly good, although it relies a bit on coincidence in the third act but then that's ok because I think most things that are attributed to destiny or divine intervention are merely lucky coincidence. What it doesn't do is neatly resolve with the expected ending - a particularly bold move I thought. The story is more about how a woman becomes a mother in ways that are not biological. For those of us who have decided to not have children of our own, The Year of Fog speaks to the nurturing, protective instinct that is present even when a child sprung forth from our loins is not. I suspect women who have had children will tell me I can't realize the depth of what changes fundamentally after the birth of a child and I will acknowledge that they have every right to say/think/believe that. But are adoptive mothers any less a mother? And that's just one scenario - there are hundreds.

Ok, off my soapbox. The book is great. So there. ( )
  fogcitybean | Aug 13, 2013 |
Abby, the main character in this book is happy, and engaged to be married to Jake who has a daughter Emma. One weekend while Jake is away Abby takes Emma to a San Francisco beach on a foggy day and the worst thing you could ever imagine happens . She lets go of Emma's hand and looks away and Emma disappears. And it is even worse because Emma is not her child but her partner's, and he finds it difficult to forgive her for what has happened.What do you do then? Emma (and Jake at first] spent every hour of the day searching and trying to find out what had happened to Emma. But time passed, a memorial service was eventually held, and most of the searchers gave up hope of ever finding her. Jake tried to move on with his lfe but Abby would not give up. This was an absorbing read, one that I kept reading to find out what the end would be. However I did find it a bit long and I did get a bit tired at times of all the information on memory and photography. But it was a believable picture of people coping with the loss of a child, and the not knowing what had happened to her. That would be the worst I think. I am now keen to read another of this author's books. ( )
  kiwifortyniner | Jul 28, 2013 |
"Viewfinder cameras have a simple plastic glass viewer and no adjustable focusing system. The viewer is located just above or to the side of the lens, and indicates approximately what the final photograph will look like (though some parallax problems-the difference between what the eye sees through the viewer and what is actually recorded through the lens-are apparent in the processed negative or print)." -Henry Horenstein, Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual

"The light of memory, or rather the light that memory lends to things, is the palest light of all..." -Eugene Ionescom Present Past, Past Present
for Bonnie and John
Here is the truth, that is what I know: we were walking on Ocean Beach, hand in hand.

Here is the truth, this is what I know: I was walking on the beach with Emma. It was cold and very foggy. She let go of my hand. I stopped to photograph a baby seal, then glanced up toward the Great Highway. When I looked back, Emma was gone.

From this moment unfolds the spellbinding story of Abby Mason — photographer, fiancee, soon-to-be-stepmother — and the consequences of her greatest error. A riveting drama of how life can change in an instant, of a family torn apart by the search for the truth behind a child's disappearance, and of one woman's unwavering faith in the power of love. The Year of Fog is a profoundly original glimpse into the mysterious and wondrous workings of the human heart, all made startlingly fresh through novelist Richmond's incandescent sensitivity and extraordinary insight.

Life changes in an instant. On a foggy beach. In the seconds when Abby Mason—photographer, fiancée soon-to-be-stepmother—looks into her camera and commits her greatest error. Heartbreaking, uplifting, and beautifully told, here is the riveting tale of a family torn apart, of the search for the truth behind a child’s disappearance, and of one woman’s unwavering faith in the redemptive power of love—all made startlingly fresh through Michelle Richmond’s incandescent sensitivity and extraordinary insight.

Six-year-old Emma vanished into the thick San Francisco fog. Or into the heaving Pacific. Or somewhere just beyond: to a parking lot, a stranger’s van, or a road with traffic flashing by. Devastated by guilt, haunted by her fears about becoming a stepmother, Abby refuses to believe that Emma is dead. And so she searches for clues about what happened that morning—and cannot stop the flood of memories reaching from her own childhood to illuminate that irreversible moment on the beach.

Now, as the days drag into weeks, as the police lose interest and fliers fade on telephone poles, Emma’s father finds solace in religion and scientific probability—but Abby can only wander the beaches and city streets, attempting to recover the past and the little girl she lost. With her life at a crossroads, she will leave San Francisco for a country thousands of miles away. And there, by the side of another sea, on a journey that has led her to another man and into a strange subculture of wanderers and surfers, Abby will make the most astounding discovery of all—as the truth of Emma’s disappearance unravels with stunning force.

A profoundly original novel of family, loss, and hope—of the choices we make and the choices made for us—The Year of Fog beguiles with the mysteries of time and memory even as it lays bare the deep and wondrous workings of the human heart. The result is a mesmerizing tour de force that will touch anyone who knows what it means to love a child.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:21 -0400)

Photographer Abby Mason's life is changed forever by the disappearance of the young girl with whom she had been walking on a cold and foggy beach, and her desperate search for the truth behind the child's vanishing.

Michelle Richmond is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible