The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond

The Year of Fog (edition 2007)

by Michelle Richmond

Title:The Year of Fog
Authors:Michelle Richmond
Info:Delacorte Press (2007), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond

English (75)  French (1)  All languages (76)
Abby Mason is about to be married to Jake and part of that package involves being stepmother to Emma. Abby has already fallen in love with the little girl. While on a quiet, foggy walk on the beach Abby is momentarily distracted and when she turns around Emma is gone. The book tells the story of what something like that does to an individual, a relationship and the community in general. The most heart wrenching part of this book is the total despair that the author makes us feel for Abby as she suffers through having made one lapse in judgment that held the most severe of consequences. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I must say that I nearly didn't pick this book at the library as the cover screamed 'chick lit' at me however I am so glad that I did. It grabbed me from the very beginning the first chapter sets the tone very well and I must say that I found it hard to put down.

I found the comparison between photography and film development and memory very telling and a useful tool that added to my enjoyment of the novel. Given the nature of the theme it could have felt very exploitative and crass but this was not the case at all.

My only quibbles are slight ones. 1) Where does she find the money to do what she does in her search for Emma? As she is a freelance photographer she has no regular income and I would have thought that she would soon have run out of money to persue all the lines of enquiry. 2) I found the resolution to the mystery a little too convenient, surely the police would have treated the person found to be behind the disapperence as a suspect just as much as Abby and Jake were so why was this not the case.

But that said I found the story to be gripping and I really empathised with Abby and the plight she found herself in. I highly recommend it. ( )
1 vote WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
a bantam discovery, listed in My Best Friend's Girl
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I have a really bad habit, especially in books like these, of reading the ending soon after I've started the book. I just could not get through almost 400 pages without knowing whether or not Emma was found in the end. Once I had the answer to that question, I didn't feel so anxious to skim through the book and I enjoyed it. I loved the way the author told the background story - Abby and Emma's, Abby and Jake's, and even Abby and Annabel's, during the present. I also enjoyed the interspersed stories and facts about memories. All in all, it was an engaging, suspenseful (albeit not quite as suspenseful once I read the ending) and well written novel. ( )
  carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
The Year of Fog (Bantam Discovery) I purchased this book at a local library sale for .50 cents. It looked interesting although I knew it would be a hard story to read. Abby is about to marry Jake and become a stepparent to Emma. Six-year-old Emma vanished into the thick San Francisco fog. Or into the heaving Pacific. Or somewhere just beyond: to a parking lot, a stranger’s van, or a road with traffic flashing by. Devastated by guilt, haunted by her fears about becoming a stepmother, Abby refuses to believe that Emma is dead. This story was not such a tear jerker as I was expecting. It was more suspenseful and addicting. I could not put this book down and finished it in a day! I was on the edge of my seat hoping and praying she would find Emma. Hoping here and Jake would reconnect and stay a couple. I am not sure why this story got a low rating because to be honest I recommend this. It is an easy read and good for a beginner. ( )
  cewtypye | May 14, 2014 |
"Viewfinder cameras have a simple plastic glass viewer and no adjustable focusing system. The viewer is located just above or to the side of the lens, and indicates approximately what the final photograph will look like (though some parallax problems-the difference between what the eye sees through the viewer and what is actually recorded through the lens-are apparent in the processed negative or print)." -Henry Horenstein, Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual

"The light of memory, or rather the light that memory lends to things, is the palest light of all..." -Eugene Ionescom Present Past, Past Present
for Bonnie and John
Here is the truth, that is what I know: we were walking on Ocean Beach, hand in hand.

Here is the truth, this is what I know: I was walking on the beach with Emma. It was cold and very foggy. She let go of my hand. I stopped to photograph a baby seal, then glanced up toward the Great Highway. When I looked back, Emma was gone.

From this moment unfolds the spellbinding story of Abby Mason — photographer, fiancee, soon-to-be-stepmother — and the consequences of her greatest error. A riveting drama of how life can change in an instant, of a family torn apart by the search for the truth behind a child's disappearance, and of one woman's unwavering faith in the power of love. The Year of Fog is a profoundly original glimpse into the mysterious and wondrous workings of the human heart, all made startlingly fresh through novelist Richmond's incandescent sensitivity and extraordinary insight.

Life changes in an instant. On a foggy beach. In the seconds when Abby Mason—photographer, fiancée soon-to-be-stepmother—looks into her camera and commits her greatest error. Heartbreaking, uplifting, and beautifully told, here is the riveting tale of a family torn apart, of the search for the truth behind a child’s disappearance, and of one woman’s unwavering faith in the redemptive power of love—all made startlingly fresh through Michelle Richmond’s incandescent sensitivity and extraordinary insight.

Six-year-old Emma vanished into the thick San Francisco fog. Or into the heaving Pacific. Or somewhere just beyond: to a parking lot, a stranger’s van, or a road with traffic flashing by. Devastated by guilt, haunted by her fears about becoming a stepmother, Abby refuses to believe that Emma is dead. And so she searches for clues about what happened that morning—and cannot stop the flood of memories reaching from her own childhood to illuminate that irreversible moment on the beach.

Now, as the days drag into weeks, as the police lose interest and fliers fade on telephone poles, Emma’s father finds solace in religion and scientific probability—but Abby can only wander the beaches and city streets, attempting to recover the past and the little girl she lost. With her life at a crossroads, she will leave San Francisco for a country thousands of miles away. And there, by the side of another sea, on a journey that has led her to another man and into a strange subculture of wanderers and surfers, Abby will make the most astounding discovery of all—as the truth of Emma’s disappearance unravels with stunning force.

A profoundly original novel of family, loss, and hope—of the choices we make and the choices made for us—The Year of Fog beguiles with the mysteries of time and memory even as it lays bare the deep and wondrous workings of the human heart. The result is a mesmerizing tour de force that will touch anyone who knows what it means to love a child.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:04 -0400)

Photographer Abby Mason's life is changed forever by the disappearance of the young girl with whom she had been walking on a cold and foggy beach, and her desperate search for the truth behind the child's vanishing.

Michelle Richmond is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible