In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way Vol 1 by…

In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way Vol 1 (original 1913; edition 1996)

by Marcel Proust

6,59791573 (4.26)1 / 408
Member:bgeek
Title:In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way Vol 1
Authors:Marcel Proust
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:****1/2

Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (1913)

English (77)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (91)
Not gonna lie, this wasn't exactly the easiest book to get through. I started reading it because my beloved John Linnell said he had read the whole series, and he added that it took him fourteen years. I can kind of understand why.

It was just *incredibly* dense, and required a lot of concentration. There were parts I liked a lot, particularly the third section, but a lot of the second (and longest) section just didn't really hold my attention. But overall I did enjoy it, and I am planning to read the others.

One issue I had with this particular translation was the footnotes. I love footnotes because I'm a nerd like that, but I didn't really get very much information out of the ones here. They were almost all about references Proust was making to art, contemporary French culture, etc, and the footnotes would just say "oh this is a painting by this one guy" etc rather than explaining exactly how that painting etc related to the story. So that was frustrating. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Jul 27, 2015 |
Proust blew me away. Some of the smoothest, most comforting writing I've ever read. Externally, not much develops in terms of plot. But Proust manages to capture, in stunningly beautiful writing, the nuanced emotional depths that define our thoughts and, by extension, the whole of ourselves.

Really just beautiful..

As a codicil- comforting to see your most critical thoughts (the ones that flicker by you every moment one way then the next) captured. Thoughts that you have trouble expressing, that perhaps you deemed draining, overwhelming, abnormal in some way. Proust catches it all. Though not written with a reassuring tone it nevertheless is comforting. ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
It is hard to know what to say about this, as it's only part one of a seven volume epic and it's reputation definitely precedes it. I've got part two ready to start any day soon... It's certainly not an easy read - the long sentences and meandering style meant it took me a long time to read each page, and I could only read it when I had relative quiet to concentrate in. But it's wonderful and worth the effort. The plot is really minimal so I just let the language drift by me and enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be funny and gossipy as well as profound and sentimental. I presume we haven't yet seen the last of the madeleine. ( )
1 vote AlisonSakai | Apr 11, 2015 |
"Swann's Way," the first book in Marcel Proust's epic "In Search of Lost Time" is definitely a challenging read. But I got so much out of it and enjoyed it so thoroughly, I really didn't mind.

Plotwise, there are essentially two different stories here. Our faithful narrator famously dips a cake known as a madeliene into tea and is flooded with memories from his childhood. Branching off into a tangential story about a figure from the narrator's childhood, the book also tells the story of Swann and his love affair with the unworthy and promiscuous Odette.

The book's prose is just astoundingly beautiful and filled with eye-opening ideas and philosophical points. This is definitely a book that I would get more out of reading it again.

Looking forward to reading the remaining six volumes of this series as the year progresses. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 26, 2015 |

Raboni, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salinas, PedroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott Moncrieff, C. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuomikoski, InkeriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Longtemps je me suis couché de bonne heure (Du côté de chez Swann)
Ma mère, quand il fut question d’avoir pour la première fois M. de Norpois à dîner, ayant exprimé le regret que le Professeur Cottard fût en voyage et qu’elle-même eût entièrement cessé de fréquenter Swann, car l’un et l’autre eussent sans doute intéressé l’ancien Ambassadeur, mon père répondit qu’un convive éminent, un savant illustre, comme Cottard, ne pouvait jamais mal faire dans un dîner, mais que Swann, avec son ostentation, avec sa manière de crier sur les toits ses moindres relations, était un vulgaire esbrouffeur que le Marquis de Norpois eût sans doute trouvé selon son expression, «puant». (A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur)

Le pépiement matinal des oiseaux semblait insipide à Françoise. (Le côté de Guermantes)
On sait que bien avant d’aller ce jour-là (le jour où avait lieu la soirée de la princesse de Guermantes) rendre au duc et à la duchesse la visite que je viens de raconter, j’avais épié leur retour et fait, pendant la durée de mon guet, une découverte, concernant particulièrement M. de Charlus, mais si importante en elle-même que j’ai jusqu’ici, jusqu’au moment de pouvoir lui donner la place et l’étendue voulues, différé de la rapporter. (Sodome et Gomorrhe)
Dès le matin, la tête encore tournée contre le mur, et avant d’avoir vu, au-dessus des grands rideaux de la fenêtre, de quelle nuance était la raie du jour, je savais déjà le temps qu’il faisait. (La prisonnière)
"I do feel that it's really absurd that a man of his intelligence should let himself be made to suffer by a creature of that kind, who isn't even interesting, for they tell me she's an absolute idiot!" she concluded with the wisdom invariably shewn by people who, not being in love themselves, feel that a clever man ought to be unhappy only about such persons as are worth his while; which is rather like being astonished that anyone should condescend to die of cholera at the bidding of so insignificant a creature as the common bacillus.
Swann's Way is the first volume of Proust's monumental Remembrance of Things Past. However, at least one publisher issued Swann's Way itself (and other volumes of Remembrance of Things Past) as multivolume works. Thus, you can have Swann's Way, Part One which is part 1 of part 1 of Remembrance of Things Past. Thus if you use "Part 1" as part of your book title make sure you distinguish between Part 1 of Remembrance of Things Past and Part 1 of Swann's Way.

Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time is one of the most entertaining reading experiences in any language and arguably the finest novel of the twentieth century. But since its original prewar translation there has been no completely new version in English. Now, Penguin Classics brings Proust’s masterpiece to new audiences throughout the world, beginning with Lydia Davis’s internationally acclaimed translation of the first volume, Swann’s Way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

Presents the first book of Proust's monumental work "Remembrance of Things Past", introducing such themes as the destructive force of obsessive love, the allure and the consequences of transgressive sex, and the selective eye that shapes memories.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180315, 0141180366

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible