The Blood Spilt by Asa Larsson

The Blood Spilt (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Asa Larsson

Member:petergw
Title:The Blood Spilt
Authors:Asa Larsson
Info:Delta (2007), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Crime

The Blood Spilt by Åsa Larsson (2004)

English (14)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
The second in Asa Larsson's Rebecka Martinsson series. This one follows Rebecka's recovery from the trauma she suffered at the end of the first book, and her return to Kiruna to heal. Naturally, while there, she gets caught up in another murder. The character development here is excellent, though the story--involving the murder of yet another clergyman--bears a little too much resemblance to the plot in the first. Also, why do dogs have to die in every installment of this series?! Now I know why, in the afterword to the fifth book (which was the first one I read), she apologizes, sort of, for "mak[ing] a mess of Martinssson's face, and kill[ing] dogs." Still: if you're a fan of female detectives and/or Nordic Noir, don't let that stop you from giving these books a try. ( )
  rvhatha | Jun 28, 2014 |
I found this rather hard going and eventually abandoned it after reading about a third.
  edwardsgt | Jul 6, 2013 |
I must apologise for my lack of posting lately; my personal life has been fairly hectic and I have also been in the unfortunate situation of reading a book that didn’t really grab me. This rarely happens to me, and I find it quite uncomfortable when it does happen, because who am I to judge someone’s writing? Yes we are all entitled to our opinions, but this author is a well regarded Scandinavian author, and that is far more than I can say for myself. So I persevered, as I will always do, because someone spent a great deal of time and effort writing this novel, and it’s the least I can do.

The Blood Spilt is the second novel by Asa Larsson, and the second in the Rebecka Martinsson series, and it follows on within a couple of months of the events of The Savage Altar. Rebecka is still reeling from the incident in Kiruna where she was kidnapped by and ultimately forced to kill three men, and she has been unable to return to work full time. The darkness surrounding the religious community in Kiruna has not subsided, when a controversial female priest, Mildred Nilsson, is brutally murdered and left hanging from the organ in the parish church. When Rebecka’s law firm is contacted by the parish about some legal matters, Rebecka (not aware of the murder) and a colleague venture back to Kiruna to assist the other priests.

What follows is an interesting and complex, albeit somewhat drawn out, look into the lives of a small, tight-knit community when a new and dynamic figure shakes up some long-standing order. Inevitably when this happens, the proverbial feathers are ruffled and some people don’t like seeing change in their comfort zone. To Larsson’s credit, she explores this area really well. In a town that is still quite dominated by male-centric ideology, the reader is given a deep insight into the effect an innovative person (who in this case happens to be a woman) can have when what is considered the norm is torn down. In a sort of “adapt or perish” atmosphere, those who cannot embrace change are left behind, and those who are under pressure to introduce change either comply or are branded as backward, sexist and elitist. In hindsight, the profound psychological themes make the long back story far more readable, but many readers may be put off by the lack of action. Compounded with this, we are also made aware of the personal war being waged inside Rebecka as she comes to terms with what happened to her, and tries to figure out how to piece her shattered life back together.

I would be lying if I said I loved it, but I would be lying again if I said I didn’t like it. The Blood Spilt is not what I was expecting, and will definitely appeal more to readers who prefer to know their characters in depth, rather than merely observe all the action. ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is one of those books that doesn’t neatly fit into the crime fiction genre (which undoubtedly annoys the publishers but doesn’t bother me in the slightest). Ostensibly it’s a standard murder-mystery with police procedural overtones but in reality those elements take a back seat to a fascinating series of character studies.

Set towards the end of a Swedish summer where daylight is in abundance, the story revolves around the investigation into the grizzly murder of a female priest in a small town. The woman died several months before the start of the book but the investigation has stalled until a detective returning from maternity leave is asked to pick up the case. At the same time Stockholm lawyer, Rebecka Martinsson, travels to the town to participate in some meetings about the finances of the local church. The town is not only Martinsson’s hometown but also the site where she was forced to kill several people in self defence: an experience from which she has not recovered.

The police investigation is a relatively minor element of this book. It is certainly present, and the two main police investigators are certainly engaging characters, but it is not the sole driver of plot. Alongside it are multiple threads which follow various townspeople and their interactions with the priest who was murdered. Larsson presents a series of vignettes where we see the priest interact with her husband, lover, acolytes and enemies and we slowly build up a picture of her life and what led to her death. Following Rebecka Martinsson’s attempt to recover from her earlier experience is intertwined in the main story in a very believable way.

This is a beautiful book. The people, the animals and the physical environment are all carefully constructed to complement each other and provide a complete world that a reader can lose themselves in. It might be a bit slow-paced and lacking in blood and gore for some readers but I loved it.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Surprise: I'm highly recommending another crime novel by a Swedish woman! This is the second Rebecka Martinsson book, and I appreciate the fact that Larsson lets her main character suffer the ill effects of the previous book. Rebecka Martinsson is a tax lawyer who becomes involved in criminal investigations, but the book also follows the police's investigation into the murder of a female priest in Kiruna in northern Sweden. This is a brisk read. For a longer review, see my blog: http://mswordopolis.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/the-blood-spilt-by-asa-larsson/.
  rkreish | Mar 31, 2013 |
I am lying on my side on the kitchen sofa.

It’s midsummer in Sweden—when the light lingers through dawn and a long, isolating winter finally comes to an end. In this magical time, a brutal killer has chosen to strike. A female priest—who made enemies and acolytes in equal number—has been found hanging in her church. And a big-city lawyer quite acquainted with death enters the scene as police and parishioners try to pick up the pieces....

Not long ago, attorney Rebecka Martinsson had to kill three men in order to stop an eerily similar murder spree—one that also involved a priest. Now she is back in Kiruna, the region of her birth, while a determined policewoman gnaws on the case and people who loved or loathed the victim mourn or revel in her demise. The further Rebecka is drawn into the mystery—a mystery that will soon take another victim—the more the dead woman’s world clutches her: a world of hurt and healing, sin and sexuality, and, above all, of sacrifice.

In prose that is both lyrical and visceral, Åsa Larsson has crafted a novel of pure entertainment, a taut, atmospheric mystery that will hold you in thrall until the last, unforgettable page is turned

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:19 -0400)

It's midsummer in Sweden, when the light lingers through dawn and a long, isolating winter finally comes to an end. In this magical time, a brutal killer has chosen to strike. A female priest, who made enemies and acolytes in equal number, has been found hanging in her church. And a big-city lawyer quite acquainted with death enters the scene as police and parishioners try to pick up the pieces.... Not long ago, attorney Rebecka Martinsson had to kill three men in order to stop an eerily similar murder spree, one that also involved a priest. Now she is back in Kiruna, the region of her birth, while a determined policewoman gnaws on the case and people who loved or loathed the victim mourn or revel in her demise. The further Rebecka is drawn into the mystery, a mystery that will soon take another victim, the more the dead woman's world clutches her: a world of hurt and healing, sin and sexuality, and, above all, of sacrifice.… (more)

46 wanted5 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible