Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The United States at War: The American…

The United States at War: The American Revolution: Part I

by George H. Smith, Wendy McElroy (Editor)

Other authors: George C. Scott (Narrator)

1211,128,435 (4.5)None

Inspiring and depressing...studying the American Revolution is like learning about a completely different country. The only thing that can reverse our current decline is a return to the principles this country was founded on, as embodied in the Declaration of Independence.

There is no political solution to our problems---another term of Obama certainly won't help, but neither will any of the current Republican candidates...unless a new one who actually understands our founding principles emerges (which is extremely unlikely) and secures the Republican nomination (which is practically impossible)---because the problems are not merely political. Can you imagine any of our politicians today taking the kinds of actions the American revolutionaries did? What we need is another cultural revolution, a revolution "in the minds and hearts of the people" as John Adams put it. And that end cannot be achieved by any political measure, but only through education.

This is a good place to start. Smith focuses on the *ideas* that led to the revolution, and those ideas are exactly what need to be understood---and have been largely forgotten---today. ( )
  AshRyan | Jan 23, 2012 |

George H. Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
McElroy, WendyEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Scott, George C.Narratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0938935518, Audio Cassette)

Here for the first time is a comprehensive dramatic history of the United States at War-on audio cassettes! Our nation's nine major wars are explained so clearly that you'll never forget them-or the lessons they have taught us. More than a military history these cassettes explore the political economic and social forces that have erupted in warfare. You'll see the largest historical forces that cause war-irreconcilable political principles trade disputes territorial ambition and even fear. You'll feel the immediate desolation and misery that war always brings and learn how a war's political legacy may produce more lasting damage. Although the series concentrates on America its scope is much broader. Foreign affairs and European history are included to provide a necessary perspective. Many founding fathers believed the real American Revolution was not the war with Britain but the revolution in ideas which preceded and caused the war. This presentation explores the character and the ideas of 18th century Americans and examines what caused them to rebel

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

Describes the historical context for the American Revolutionary war, and how it resolved or failed to resolve the forces that caused it. Part I examines the revolution in ideas which preceded and caused the war. Part II examines the American fight for independence against Great Britain that would last seven years.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible