Born to run by Bruce Springsteen

Born to run (edition 2016)

by Bruce Springsteen

Member:brewbooks
Title:Born to run
Authors:Bruce Springsteen
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, [2016]
Collections:Currently reading, Read but unowned
Tags:autobiography, music, audio, read2017, library

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All (27)
An amazing piece of writing and memoir. I loved what he had to say about the importance of music and storytelling. A choice quote: “Those whose love we wanted but could not get, we emulate. It is dangerous but it makes us feel closer, gives us an illusion of the intimacy we never had. It stakes our claim upon that which was rightfully ours but denied. In my 20s, as my song and my story began to take shape, I searched for the voice I would blend with mine to do the telling. It is a moment when through creativity and will you can rework, repossess and rebirth the conflicting voices of your childhood, to turn them into something alive, powerful and seeking light. I’m a repairman. That’s part of my job. So I, who’d never done a week’s worth of manual labor in my life . . . put on a factory worker’s clothes, my father’s clothes, and went to work.” ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
The audio is read by the Boss himself. Need I say more? The story of Springsteen’s modest beginnings in Freehold NJ, his dysfunctional family, and his struggle with depression is told frankly and with humor. Springsteen also writes about the hard work of becoming a successful musician, the mix of talent, and work ethic and nerve that it takes to become a bandleader and a superstar. ( )
  rglossne | Aug 21, 2017 |
Not exactly a groundbreaking memoir, but still filled with heart and ambition. I've never been a die hard Springsteen fan but this memoir gave me a new appreciation for all the hard work and dedication it took him to become the superstar he is. In this autobiography Bruce goes into detail about his childhood, rocky road to becoming a musician and then his eventual rise to fame. I did enjoy listening to his music while reading this and lots of his songs had new meanings when you learn about the back stories in them. A pretty decent biography, but it will be of most interest to the rabid Springsteen fans rather than the general public. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 25, 2017 |
I listened to the audio book which I think always lends to a better review as no one knows the emotions behind the stories better than the author themselves. Springsteen is a really great storyteller. The chapter with The Big Bang was almost like something from a great suspense/thriller. ( )
  Kathl33n | May 15, 2017 |
Good read about the journey to becoming a Worldwide Rock n' Roller. Vintage photography along with honesty and level grit lead the reader through this enjoyable book!

Rock n’Roll your way through this book penned by “The Boss” himself! Insight and revelation of a long-enduring journey through the music world. Good Read!
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 12, 2017 |
You could say of course, and again you’d be right, that this is nothing very remote from a lot of lives. Mine. Yours. Mid­century American Gothic. A “crap heap of a hometown that I loved.” But therein lies at least a hint to the magic in the Springsteen mystery: the muscular rise to the small occasion, taking forceful dominion over your poky circumstance and championing your own responses to what would otherwise seem inevitable.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Richard Ford (Sep 22, 2016)

For Patti, Evan, Jess and Sam
I come from a boardwalk town where almost everything is tinged with a bit of fraud.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible