Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

Born to Run (edition 2016)

by Bruce Springsteen (Author)

Member:aj8114
Title:Born to Run
Authors:Bruce Springsteen (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2016), Edition: First Edition, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

English (36)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (41)
I am VERY glad I listened to this book, read by Springsteen, himself. What a difference I think it made.

An indifferent high school student, Springsteen read, and read voraciously, to educate himself to be able to reach the top. Just as he practiced playing guitar until his fingers bled (oh, those wire strings!), he never accepted second best for himself or for any of his bands.

The book is heartbreaking at times, and so personal, it is sometimes not easy to listen to. Anyone who has a friend or family member who suffers from depression, well, it will hurt. But it is worth it. ( )
  kaulsu | Nov 8, 2018 |
Springsteen diehards will disagree with the comparison I'm about to make. "Born to Run" is much like an song that would be an excellent 4-minute ballad -- but drags on for 7 minutes. True, part of the problem is that I've never been a Springsteen fanatic. I like his music and the one Springsteen concert I attended was phenomenal -- one of the best concerts I attended in a few decades. But I found much of the work detailed-to-a-fault. This is particularly true of the first half of the book. Of course, it's important for readers to understand where the musical genius came from and what early influences shaped his life and views. But the set-up to the pre-superstar era is simply too long and convoluted. At the very least, the book would have benefited from a series of "flash-ahead" moments that, with some skillful organization, would have bounced between Springsteen's early life and his superstar years. Having said that, "Born to Run" is well-written and offers many fascinating insights into Springsteen's life. His willingness to share his excruciating battles with depression is brave and should be commended. Springsteen aficionados probably won't find a book that spans nearly 80 chapters overly-wordy. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Jun 22, 2018 |
The word 'legend' is bandied about too frequently these days - I've seen it used to describe reality tv stars, YouTube 'stars' and all manner of others which in truth it should not be used for - but sometimes the word is entirely fitting and Bruce Springsteen is one of those people truly deserving of the title. Whether you like his music or not, his songs are familiar to all, for their stories of blue-collar working class families and their struggles, from the anti-Vietnam protest song Born in the USA, to the Oscar winning Streets of Philadelphia from the groundbreaking 1993 Tom Hanks film about AIDS.

Bruce's autobiography is a joy to read - not only does he discuss his own working class, blue collar background, and his rise to success, he is also amazingly candid about his struggles with depression and anxiety. He talks with obvious love and gratitude about his wife Patti Scialfa and their three children, and with open-ness about his troubled relationship with his father, who nonetheless he loved and loves very deeply.

His passion for his craft comes through on every page (no surprise to anyone who has listened to his music), as well as his enduring friendships with the many people who he has played with and alongside. I loved that he was starstruck, even at the height of his own success, when meeting the Rolling Stones!

Again - this will be no surprise for anyone who listens to Bruce's lyrics - but he is a very talented author, likeable and amusing, and unapologetic...not that he has anything to be apologetic about. I always felt that Bruce was one of the good guys, and this book reinforces that view.

If you are a fan of Bruce Springsteen, or if you just really like reading autobiographies, I highly recommend this one. ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | May 17, 2018 |
I sort of missed Springsteen's rise to fame and never really got into his music but I was aware of it. This book was available as an audiobook read by Springsteen himself and I thought it would be a good chance to find out what I missed. I was very impressed with Springsteen's writing ability (although if I had paid more attention to his songs I should not have been). I loved him as the narrator; I can't imagine anyone else doing the book in as heartfelt a manner. Bruce wrote the book almost linearly, starting with his childhood in working class New Jersey, moving through his teen years learning his craft as a musician, then into his 20s when he started supporting himself with music after his parents suddenly upped stakes and moved to California. He wrote candidly about his father's mental health problems and how that impacted his relationship with Bruce and the other children. Bruce focused next on the formation of the E Street Band, his managerial problems and the band's growing success. Bruce Springsteen doesn't hide his light under a bushel but he gives credit to those around him who helped with his growth as a musician and a man. Bruce had his own issues with depression (still does).This book should be a wakeup call to all those people who think people who are depressed just need to get to work to get over depression. Bruce has to be one of the hardest working men in rock and roll but he still needed regular sessions with a therapist and pharmacological help to get over the worst stretches. He shows great insight into his own psyche and he gives great credit to his wife, Patty, for helping him parent well, write well, play well and be a decent human. He also talks lovingly of his bandmates, especially the great rock and roll saxophonist, Clarence Clemmons, whose death hit Bruce hard.

If I wasn't a fan of Bruce Springsteen before listening to this book then I am now. Maybe he'll tour near me so I can see him in person. ( )
  gypsysmom | Apr 28, 2018 |
Parts were surprisingly well-written, primarily the personal accounts of growing up and struggling with depression. But much of it was way too long and detailed - it's like he felt compelled to account for every song and every concert.

Still hoping to get tickets to his Broadway show though! ( )
  bobbieharv | Dec 16, 2017 |
You could say of course, and again you’d be right, that this is nothing very remote from a lot of lives. Mine. Yours. Mid­century American Gothic. A “crap heap of a hometown that I loved.” But therein lies at least a hint to the magic in the Springsteen mystery: the muscular rise to the small occasion, taking forceful dominion over your poky circumstance and championing your own responses to what would otherwise seem inevitable.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Richard Ford (Sep 22, 2016)

For over 40 years, Springsteen has chronicled the lives of myriad American characters as they face life, love, economic hardship, and the search for community and home, and now he limns his own life story to create an exuberant, sprawling, double album of a memoir. Springsteen writes eloquently about his youth, family, and hometown while detailing his complicated relationship with his father and the singer's own quest to reconcile his past and explore the roots and meaning of what he does. Springsteen describes in abundant detail his musical coming of age with various bands, playing the clubs and bars of New Jersey as he finds his own voice, struggles with early success, and eventually records the 1975 masterpiece Born To Run with the E Street Band and reaches superstardom in the 1980s. Springsteen's prose ranges from honest and self-deprecating to poetic and deeply analytical as he writes about his life, his music, his place in the world, and his movingly deep ties to his family, his band, and his audience. Verdict Like a classic Springsteen and E Street Band show, the book takes readers on a rollicking ride from the glorious and the emotional to the fun and soaring; one of rock's finest and most memorable memoirs.-James Collins, Morristown-Morris Twp. P.L., NJ
added by kthomp25 | editLibrary Journal

For Patti, Evan, Jess and Sam
I come from a boardwalk town where almost everything is tinged with a bit of fraud.

Over the past seven years, Bruce Springsteen has privately devoted himself to writing the story of his life, bringing to these pages the same honesty, humor, and originality found in his songs. He describes growing up Catholic in Freehold, New Jersey, amid the poetry, danger, and darkness that fueled his imagination, leading up to the moment he refers to as "The Big Bang": seeing Elvis Presley's debut on The Ed Sullivan Show. He vividly recounts his relentless drive to become a musician, his early days as a bar band king in Asbury Park, and the rise of the E Street Band. With disarming candor, he also tells for the first time the story of the personal struggles that inspired his best work, and shows us why the song "Born to Run" reveals more than we previously realized.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,261,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible