The Lauras by Sara Taylor

The Lauras

by Sara Taylor

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was completely a guidebook in BAD parenting. My first thought was wow- bipolar much and dragging your kid through it. Definitely not a fun read as I felt so sorry for this kid and his having to cope with mom's dysfunction as well as figure out who he is and wants to be. ( )
  AMKee | Oct 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is very difficult for me to review. There is one scene that I hated to listening to but there are a lot of scenes that I felt that I learned from and others that seemed poetic.

The story is mostly reflections of person of a road trip taken with his mother 30 years ago. I use the male pronouns because it seemed to fit the story the best. Alex did not have a strong gender identity. He says in the story that he had not decided on being male or female. He was attracted to being a female because of bullying that he had in school. He relates some of the horrible bullying incidents in the story. In my childhood I was bullied by a girl my age. Now I appreciate that all she did was hit me and call me names. What Alex experienced was bullying carried to the extreme. I felt so bad for him.

That is just one part of the story and I am omitting the details. Alex is grabbed out of his bed by his mother and she takes him on a long road trip, sometimes with stops to live at different places. She does not tell him why they are leaving his dad and the house, if they are ever coming back or even where they are going. We learn about her terrible past and about her friendships with different women named Laura and and others with different names. Her heart ache, her anger, her fierce independence. You also feel those emotions from Alex. This is a very unusual coming of age story, the ending does not seem like an ending at all.

So I would say, read or listen to this story but be aware that this is going to be gritty and at times not what you want know about.

I received an a finished audio as a win from LibraryThing from the publishers in exchange for a fair book review. My thoughts and feelings in this review are my own. ( )
  Carolee888 | Oct 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There were a few problems with continuity and flow in this book, which wouldn't be as much of a problem if it didn't set out to be an odyssey/journey. I liked individual vignettes but the story was a little disconnected taken as a whole. ( )
  mermaidatheart | Sep 5, 2017 |
The Lauras was a very interesting, informative, emotional and entertaining read that I sped right through. I was mesmerized by this tale of a mother with an agenda and an agender (I had never heard of this before which makes this book, informative) teenage daughter.

I was mesmerized by this book from the very beginning. The mother's agenda, unknown to anyone else, was quite quirky and interesting. She had quite a few things on her list that took her all over the country.

Her teenage daughter, Alex, amazed me with her maturity at such a young age and her ability to see her real "self" at such a young age astounded me.

The book was very emotional and said a lot about the characters in a very minimal amount of words. As I said, I was into this book from the very beginning and sped through enjoying the story immensely.

Thanks to Crown Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with an entertaining and free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Sep 5, 2017 |
I received an ARC of this book from First to Read.

Alex looks back on life on the road as a young teen 30 years prior. I assumed Alex was female, but realized well into the book that the gender is purposely unclear. Even without this twist, the story is unusual.

Alex's Ma wakes her (I'll use female pronouns for convenience) in the wee hours after one family fight too many, packs her and a few possessions into the car, and flees their Virginia home for points south. On the road, Ma reveals stories of her own turbulent past, while revisiting several sites to take care of unfinished business. When money runs low, they settle for longer periods, living in seedy apartments or motels while Ma waitresses/bartends and Alex attends school.

This continues for over 2 years. One common thread is the Lauras, women who may or may not have been named Laura, who were important in Ma's life. After adventures all over the country (some decidedly unpleasant and others more fun), they head for California (for some key unfinished business) and eventually across the border to settle in Canada. An epilogue fills us in on what happened after that, but the story felt a bit incomplete. ( )
  ennie | Jul 16, 2017 |

I didn’t realize my mother was a person until I was thirteen years old and she pulled me out of bed, put me in the back of her car, and we left home and my dad with no explanations. I thought that Ma was all that she was and all she had ever wanted to be. I was wrong.

As we made our way from Virginia to California, returning to the places where she’d lived as a kid in foster care and as a teenager on the run, repaying debts and keeping promises, I learned who she was in her life-before-me and the secrets she had kept – even from herself. But when life on the road began to feel normal I couldn’t forget the home we’d left behind, couldn’t deny that, just like my mother, I too had unfinished business. Amazon

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Sara Taylor's book The Lauras is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible