No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie…

No One Is Coming to Save Us

by Stephanie Powell Watts

2071180,122 (3.12)7

So this book is being advertised as a retelling of The Great Gatsby but updated to be about a modern black family in the south. Yeah, that doesn't really come across and feels more like an afterthought added to the story to attempt to make this book more interesting than it was. The book isn't horrible and I at least enjoyed it enough to read it through, but the stories about the different characters felt pieced together without anything being related and at the end many of them are abruptly ended without any kind of big conflict or turning point. The dialogue is pretty bad and unrealistic and the characters are all one dimensional so you don't really care about them. There are grammar errors and typos throughout the book that are distracting. This book lacked a good thorough look through by an editor and reads more like a concept of a interesting novel. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
This book is being marketed as an African-American Great Gatsby, but combing it for the Fitzgerald allusions is, to my mind, perhaps the least rewarding way to read it. It is moving and absorbing as a closely observed novel of character; I found Ava particularly well-written and memorable. Worth your time even if you're not a Gatsby fan. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I felt no connection to any of the characters in this book and found the story to be boring. I can't even think of another thing to say - that's how apathetic I feel about it. ( )
1 vote flourgirl49 | May 3, 2018 |
This book was interesting.
I enjoyed the story line and the characters and I could see why some might compare it to Gatsby. But it is not Gatsby - obviously. I felt like it tried too hard, was too similar, when it probably could have been great if it had not.
It was just okay - nothing really spectacular. ( )
  aevrabel | Mar 26, 2018 |
Dare I say I liked this retelling better than the original Great Gatsby? (I hear the mob forming now to eviscerate me for admitting to this.) It could be that the setting is contemporary, but I felt the characters in this book were easier to relate to and all of their stories evoked the struggles and challenges of the lives we live today. I applaud the author for tackling this tale and giving an old classic a healthy twist. I'm excited to see what's next for this author! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Mar 8, 2018 |

The Great Gatsby brilliantly recast in the contemporary South: a powerful first novel about an extended African-American family and their colliding visions of the American Dream

JJ Ferguson has returned home to Pinewood, North Carolina to build his dream home and to woo his high school sweetheart, Ava. But he finds that the people he once knew and loved have changed, just as he has. Ava is now married, and wants a baby more than anything. The decline of the town’s once-thriving furniture industry has made Ava’s husband Henry grow distant and frustrated. Ava’s mother Sylvia has put her own life on hold as she caters to and meddles with those around her, trying to fill the void left by her absent son. And Don, Sylvia’s undeserving but charming husband, just won’t stop hanging around.

JJ’s newfound wealth forces everyone to consider what more they want and deserve from life than what they already have—and how they might go about getting it. Can they shape their lives to align with their wishes rather than their realities? Or are they resigned to the rhythms of the particular lives they lead? No One Is Coming to Save Us is a revelatory debut from an insightful voice that combines a universally resonant story with an intimate glimpse into the hearts of one family.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 07 Sep 2016 05:13:27 -0400)

"JJ Ferguson has returned home to Pinewood, North Carolina, to build his dream house and to pursue his high school sweetheart Ava. But as he reenters his former world, where factories are in decline and the legacy of Jim Crow is still felt, he's startled to find that the people he once knew and loved have changed just as much as he has"--Jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible