Teacher Man: A Memoir by Frank McCourt

Teacher Man: A Memoir (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Frank McCourt

Member:casebook
Title:Teacher Man: A Memoir
Authors:Frank McCourt
Info:Scribner (2005), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:biographical

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (2005)

English (75)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All (78)
Review: Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.

What a disappointing book. It doesn’t even merit a review but I need to alert reader’s to beware….

Every anecdote seemed the same, all the events were similar, and the book just had no direction. It was boring, disorganized, and not about teaching at all, only complaint after complaint of his teaching career.

As I read the book I felt like it was mostly about his self-loathing, self-doubt, and self-pity he was trying to sell because he didn’t sound like he even liked teaching. Teaching seemed like a burden to him and a great sacrifice of thirty years of his life. I pity the students who had to put up with him. I’m not a teacher, but I am a mother and I believe every student should never be looked down on.

Plus, when I was reading I felt like Frank McCourt was making fun at some of the other teachers, some of the students and he also spoke unkind about some of the parents. People claim some kids fall through the cracks of the system, well this is one teacher I can’t believe how he fell through the crack for so many years…..and he even got this book published…..!
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Damn, I guess I have to read Angela's Ashes now. ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
One of my favorite authors, this book will not disappoint you. An eye-opener about the public school system of New York. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
I am an educator and boy did I dislike this book. I couldn't finish it. McCourt has a sense of humor, but the book doesn't offer much of interest when it comes to the profession. Books prior to his and movies in the dozen on tough kids growing up in poor neighborhoods is nothing new. I wanted to be intrigued, even inspired, by McCourt's hard road to becoming an educator, but I was not -not even mildly. I'm not alone in this regard. I've spoken with more than a few individuals, educators and non-educators, and most wonder what all the fuss is about with Teacher Man. Some did really enjoy it, but, it seemed to me, most did not. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is a wonderful book filled with the easy storytelling that Frank McCourt has become known for. If you have read Angela's Ashes and 'Tis by Frank McCourt, then you will definitely enjoy this book. It is written in the same style as his two earlier books, but is in no way a sequel to either. Whereas Angela's Ashes and 'Tis tell the story of his life, Teacher Man simply shares his stories from teaching and his progression within the education system. Nevertheless, it is a great read filled with humor, wit, sadness, and joy. Overall a good and easy read. ( )
  b22johansen | Feb 4, 2015 |
Yes, Frank McCourt, the author of "Angela's Ashes" and " 'Tis," has done it again - distilled from the mash of his life a strong and alluring narrative brew. You start reading, one story leads to the next, and all of a sudden two hours have passed.

At the very least, McCourt has produced a collection of aphorisms that will grace classroom posters till the last red pen runs dry. ("You'd be better off as a cop. At least you'd have a gun or a stick to defend yourself. A teacher has nothing but his mouth.") And at most, he's described the teacher we all wish we'd had.

McCourt's many fans will of course love this book, but it should also be mandatory reading for every teacher in America. And it wouldn't hurt some politicians to read it, too.
added by thebookpile | editPubisher's Weekly

McCourt pays deep homage to the three decades he spent teaching English...punctuated by moments of crisis, connection and transcendence.
added by thebookpile | editElle

The same dark humor, lyric voice and gift for dialogue are apparent here....The teaching profession's loss is the reading public's gain, entirely.
added by thebookpile | editKirkus Reviews

Frank McCourtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Letizia, Claudia ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindholm, JuhaniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preis, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viallet, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the next generations of the Tribe McCourt:
Siobhan (daughter of Malachy) and her children, Fiona and Mark.
Malachy of Bali (son of Malachy).
Nina (stepdaughter of Malachy).
Mary Elizabeth (daughter of Michael) and her daughter, Sophia.
Angela (daughter of Michael).
Conor (son of Malachy) and his daughter, Gillian.
Cormac (son of Malachy) and his daughter, Adrianna.
Maggie (daughter of Frank) and her children, Chiara, Frankie, and Jack.
Allison (daughter of Alphie).
Mikey (son of Michael).
Katie (daughter of Michael).
Sing your song, dance your dance, tell your tale.
Here they come.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743243773, Hardcover)

For 30 years Frank McCourt taught high school English in New York City and for much of that time he considered himself a fraud. During these years he danced a delicate jig between engaging the students, satisfying often bewildered administrators and parents, and actually enjoying his job. He tried to present a consistent image of composure and self-confidence, yet he regularly felt insecure, inadequate, and unfocused. After much trial and error, he eventually discovered what was in front of him (or rather, behind him) all along--his own experience. "My life saved my life," he writes. "My students didn't know there was a man up there escaping a cocoon of Irish history and Catholicism, leaving bits of that cocoon everywhere." At the beginning of his career it had never occurred to him that his own dismal upbringing in the slums of Limerick could be turned into a valuable lesson plan. Indeed, his formal training emphasized the opposite. Principals and department heads lectured him to never share anything personal. He was instructed to arouse fear and awe, to be stern, to be impossible to please--but he couldn't do it. McCourt was too likable, too interested in the students' lives, and too willing to reveal himself for their benefit as well as his own. He was a kindred spirit with more questions than answers: "Look at me: wandering late bloomer, floundering old fart, discovering in my forties what my students knew in their teens."

As he did so adroitly in his previous memoirs, Angela's Ashes and 'Tis, McCourt manages to uncover humor in nearly everything. He writes about hilarious misfires, as when he suggested (during his teacher's exam) that the students write a suicide note, as well as unorthodox assignments that turned into epiphanies for both teacher and students. A dazzling writer with a unique and compelling voice, McCourt describes the dignity and difficulties of a largely thankless profession with incisive, self-deprecating wit and uncommon perception. It may have taken him three decades to figure out how to be an effective teacher, but he ultimately saved his most valuable lesson for himself: how to be his own man. --Shawn Carkonen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

In this tribute to teachers everywhere. McCourt records the trials, triumphs and surprises he faces in public high schools around New York City. His methods anything but conventional, McCourt creates a lasting impact on his students through imaginative assignments, singalongs and field trips. As he struggles to find his way in the classroom, he spends his evenings drinking with writers and dreaming of one day putting his own story to paper. The book shows McCourt developing his ability to tell a great story as he works to gain the attention and respect of unruly or indifferent adolescents. His rocky marriage, his failed attempt to get a Ph.D. at Trinity College, Dublin, and his repeated firings due to his propensity to talk back to his superiors ironically lead him to New York's most prestigious school, Stuyvesant High School, where he finally finds a place and a voice.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,760,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible