A Twist in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan…

A Twist in Time: A Novel (Kendra Donovan Mysteries) (2017)

by Julie McElwain

Fun time travel read! I don't read many murder mysteries ("who dun it?") so I can't compare with other authors, but I love FBI agent Kendra Donovan's experiences in Georgian England and her frustrations with the lives of women and the class system of the early 1800's. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
In the series' second novel, FBI profiler Kendra Donovan continues to find herself marooned in a English manor early in the 19th century unable to return to her time. In the inaugural work, Kendra was trying to catch a serial killer. In this novel, Lady Cordelia Dover has been savagely murdered. Since she was a past mistress of Alexander Morgan, Marquis of Sutcliffe, now enamored with Kendra, the finger of guilt is pointing toward him. Lady Cordelia Dover had a checkered past with a giant crime boss named "Bear" who seeks his own justice. Parliament will be convened shortly to determine Alex's fate. Kendra has only two weeks to find Lady Dover's murderer. This won't be easy since her forensic investigation is being hampered by the social mores regarding the aristocracy and role of women in England's Regency period.

I read the first novel in the series and listen to an audiobook for the second. Although the narrator was skilled in the various British accents, I found the haughty aristocratic accents initially difficult to hear or to consider Alex as someone attractive to Kendra. The series still has its attraction for me and I plan to read the third novel when released in July 2018. ( )
  John_Warner | Apr 22, 2018 |
Kendra Donovan is back again! She still stuck in 1815 but another murder has happened and the main suspect is Alec, her lover and The Duke's nephew. Kendra must rush against time to try and solve the murder of Lady Dover, Alec's ex-lover, before charges are brought against him. Once again Julie McElwain brings the past to life with her story telling. The second novel in the Kendra Donovan series did not disappoint!

Minor complaint - I wanted more about Alec and Kendra and a little less about how women live in the 1800's.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me this book for an unbiased review. ( )
  Lauranthalas | Mar 20, 2018 |
As this book opens, 21st century FBI agent Kendra Donovan is still stuck in the 19th century, sent by some mysterious time-space vortex to Regency England in this series' first book, [A Murder in Time], which I read a couple of years ago. It's a few months after the events in that book, and Kendra is still desperately searching for a way back to the present, even though she's got a gorgeous Marquis making googly eyes at her. Some people, am I right? But she's forced to put aside her quest to escape the past when the aforesaid sexy Marquis, Alec, is suspected of murdering Lady Dover, a woman widely known by all of the "Polite World" to be his mistress, though he was far from her only ... admirer. It's up to Kendra to combine her modern-day investigative skills with the 19th-century tools she has to work with to find the real killer.

If you enjoy Georgette Heyer's Regency romances, and you like mysteries, you'll probably like this series. McElwain uses her protagonist's ignorance of the time period to explain a lot of the slang and customs that Heyer filled her stories with. And unlike Heyer, we get a good look at the seamy underbelly of 19th century London outside the drawing rooms and gentlemen's clubs that Heyer's characters frequented. Predictably, Kendra chafes against the restrictions on women at that time, but she also has to reluctantly admit the occasional advantage as well. Two people in the 19th century know her secret: Alec and his uncle the Duke, and between them they provide her with a cover story that gives her access to the gentry and keeps her from being completely ostracized while she conducts her investigation.

And then there's that dishy Marquis ... ( )
2 vote rosalita | Feb 14, 2018 |
This novel. I loved it. I have to say that this is one of my favorite novels that involves time travel. The author does such a great job of highlighting the struggles that Kendra has adapting to her new place in time, with her new status and her lack of power. It puts things into perspective and makes one realize that women have come along way from the 1800s - even if we still have a ways to go! Another thing I really like about this series is that Kendra isn't some helpless woman who needs the men around her to solve all her problems. She is very adept at taking care of herself and figuring things out on her own. This image of power remains with her even though she is not in the 21st century, and I really liked that the author maintained that. The way the author showed the disparity in attitudes, mindsets, and language between Kendra and the people she interacted with in the 19th century was really interesting to read about. I also really enjoyed the actual mystery itself and the way Kendra and her allies worked together to solve it. All in all, this was a great read that caught my interest just like the first book in the series! I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |

After her plan to return to the twenty-first century fails, former FBI agent Kendra Donovan, now stuck in London in 1815, is enlisted by the Duke of Aldridge to save his nephew, who has been wrongly accused of murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,945,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible