Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by…

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow (2015)

by Yuval Noah Harari

English (25)  Catalan (4)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (36)
This book is the follow up to Sapiens which I thought was one of the best non-fiction books that I have ever read. In this book Harari spends much of the book rehashing concepts that he introduced in Sapiens. For me this helped build on these complex theories. Having had a chance to look at things through Harari's prism, I do see the concept of myths that dominate our society. He continues to build on these concepts while getting into the influence of "humanism" over the last 300 years. You begin to understand the impact of religion in restricting society from advancing against famine, plague, and war. Once the value of the human is introduced and the concept of expanding knowledge becoms the reality, we begin to see the incredible advancements that the world has made in the last 300 years. With this foundation in place, Harari begins to paint a future that is based on science and the belief that we are nothing more than algorithms of our neurons that determine behavior. He splits hairs on the concept of free will with what we feel is free choice is nothing more than an algorithm. One can debate this concept, but ultimately he postures that increased AI developments along with data gathering through google, facebook etc, and biological data gathering through devices like the Apple watch can lead to enough data being available to eliminate the need to for humans to make choices. Given this book was written in 2016, he gives examples on how data from facebook can be used to influence election strategy. Very prescient! You may not agree with his predictions but this is a thought provoking book that will make you think about the big concepts that you base your life on such as organized religion, government, and science. Along with Sapiens these are 2 books that are must reads. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Aug 24, 2018 |
This, at many levels, is a disturbing book. It is indeed disturbing if the gentle reader pauses to contemplate the future. The thoughts he leaves us with are not new. They have been predicted by science fiction writers, and if you apply the Big Brother concept of 1984 to today's world, you will get an idea of how disturbing this can be.

Indeed, in today's world of big data, electronic eavesdropping, AI, genetic research etc, indeed the possibility of a race of 'superhuman', with the mass of humanity being stooges of the same, is not that remote a possibility.

The question then becomes, what happens to nations?

The book is indeed well written, and is quite accessible in its style. You could argue some points. I personally believe that, despite our data and the modern rush towards algorithms, we are not algorithms. We are emotional beings who will burn the planet (and ourselves) to extinction. Having said that, he raises many pertinent issues, and it would be a mistake to dismiss them as mere speculation.

An excellent book, and one that we should all read, and ponder over. ( )
  RajivC | Jul 29, 2018 |
I lost my review of this awhile back, so adding another. I think I was nicer right after I finished reading this book, but it didn't age well over time, on me. There were some interesting suggestions brought up (albeit nothing very original), and I enjoyed considering what the future of humanity and technology might look like. Now, what I remember from reading the book, is that it was long-winded, presumptive, and rather generous as far as logic goes...meh. ( )
  kristilabrie | Jun 29, 2018 |
Some retreading of "Sapiens". The new material was highly speculative and generally ill-informed. Harari seems to have toured Silicon Valley after writing Sapiens, and his thoughts on technology are inaccurate and often factually wrong; one gets the impression that he credulously reads emojied Twitter posts based on clickbait Wired articles based on university press releases based on scientific papers, and never actually looks to the source itself. The book is full of ridiculous syllogisms, as in: Information is important, Humans process information, Therefore humans will outsource their decisions to Google and thanks to the Internet of Things conquer the solar system, the galaxy, and the entire universe!

I very much enjoyed Sapiens, so the sloppy thinking here was quite disappointing. One star for being provocative. ( )
  breic | Jun 16, 2018 |
Interesting and engaging look at social forces that have shaped currently politics and philosophy with hypotheses for what the future may hold. Forecast is concerning and thought-provoking. ( )
  brakketh | May 12, 2018 |

Ros i Aragonès, JoandomènecTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wirthensohn, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林俊宏Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
יהב, איציקיועץsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my teacher, S. N. Goenka (1924 - 2013), who lovingly taught me important things.
The New Human Agenda

At dawn of the third millenium, humanity wakes up, stretching its limbs and rubbing its eyes.
The study of the human mind has so far assumed that Homo sapiens is Homer Simpson.
"First published as A History of Tomorrow in Hebrew in Israel in 2015 by Kinneret Zmora-Bitan Dvir."
"Previously published in Great Britain in 2016 by Harville Secker, a division of Penguin Random House Group Ltd."--Title-page verso.

Contents:

The new human agenda -- Homo sapiens conquers the world. The Anthropocene ; The human spark -- Homo sapiens gives meaning to the world. The storytellers ; The odd couple ; The modern covenant ; The humanist revolution -- Homo sapiens loses control. The time bomb in the laboratory ; The great decoupling ; The ocean of consciousness ; The data religion.

Yuval Noah Harari, author of the critically-acclaimed New York Times bestseller and international phenomenon Sapiens, returns with an equally original, compelling, and provocative book, turning his focus toward humanity’s future, and our quest to upgrade humans into gods.

Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style—thorough, yet riveting—famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonalds than from being blown up by Al Qaeda.

What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century—from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution. This is Homo Deus.

With the same insight and clarity that made Sapiens an international hit and a New York Times bestseller, Harari maps out our future.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 13 Aug 2016 07:56:48 -0400)

"Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style--thorough, yet riveting--famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonald's than from being blown up by Al Qaeda. What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century-- from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,944,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible