Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by…

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Yuval Noah Harari (Author)

Member:timoheuer
Title:Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Authors:Yuval Noah Harari (Author)
Info:Harvill Secker (2016), 448 Seiten
Rating:****1/2
Tags:lang:en, sachbuch, menschheit, zukunft, futurologie, futurism, ethik

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari (Author) (2015)

Recently added byAndreLorenz, yigittemel, Sikiso, ajrob68, KJRoeth, private library, qingxin, B1rger, VMSCB, thedoak

English (38)  Catalan (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
(I heard an interview with him on NPR, and I love his idea that our institutions are fictional, that therefore works of fiction can and do shape our world. So, yes, there really is hope.
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Can a subspecies of the Great Apes from dragging its knuckles along the Savanah plains evolved to have higher cognitive abilities & learned to communicate half a million years ago and ….Now after dominating the planet ; Can it take the next step and free itself from its evolutionary tribalism roots that shape every aspect of its behavior consciously & unconsciously or will this species of "talking apes" be doomed to join the endless list of lifeforms that have had their brief moment of triumph on this planet .

The book is a continuation of Harari's Sapiens - A Brief History; unfortunately, Homo Deus fell short of my expectations. There were certain thought provoking chapters around trans-humanism, artificially enhanced embryos, AI & the singularity as technology replaces tribal religions and belief systems with their set of "gods"; Overall it was an entertaining by no means a thorough dissection of the subject. ( )
  Vik.Ram | May 5, 2019 |
This book, a follow up to Sapiens, is just about as much a page-turner as Harari, better than anyone I can remember recently, is able to make the most complex ideas and subjects clear in his writing. The story here, however, is even more depressing than that of Sapiens. Essentially, now that Sapiens, that is Man, controls everything, what will he do with it? Harari stresses that these are only "possible" futures, but there is little doubt that the super-rich and super-powerful will take advantage of medical advances to extend their own lifespans and further increase their dominance over the rest of us. In Harari's worst scenario, most human beings simply don't have any reason for existence in the brave new world that is coming closer every day. And when that happens, will the rich even care to feed us? Or will they think of us the same way we think of cows and pigs, merely lower animals to be exploited? Yes, it's bleak, and my summary doesn't begin to do it justice, but you need to read it. Yes, Harari can be a bit annoying at times. He is so sure of so many things, and he makes broad sweeping statements indicating that religion really doesn't count for much these days. Obviously he doesn't live in the United States. ( )
  datrappert | Apr 27, 2019 |
This was a spellbinding, captivating book. The problems of tomorrow, interrelated with the outcomes of the day, permeate this book and facilitate comprehension of what it is to be in a world full of humans who no longer understand their place. Harari's work is commendable, multilayered, and written eloquently. The questions that he poses, his answers, and the possible scenarios are desirable, yet left open-ended at the same time. This is one of the best recent non-fiction books I have read in some time. I recommend it for everyone.

5 stars-- and well deserved. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Apr 3, 2019 |
Excellent book. He extends his thinking from Sapiens and covers a very broad array of ideas, histories and theories. I have a feeling that a lot of academics will criticise this book as not being rigorous enough and presenting enough evidence for his theories. I however, found this to be a very thought provoking book with a large amount of original ideas that were both extremely interesting and scary in equal parts. I cannot recommend this book more highly. I would suggest reading Sapiens first but it is not necessary to do so - only helpful. ( )
  muwaffaq | Mar 20, 2019 |

Ros i Aragonès, JoandomènecTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wirthensohn, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林俊宏Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
יהב, איציקיועץsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my teacher, S. N. Goenka (1924 - 2013), who lovingly taught me important things.
The New Human Agenda

At dawn of the third millenium, humanity wakes up, stretching its limbs and rubbing its eyes.
The study of the human mind has so far assumed that Homo sapiens is Homer Simpson.
"First published as A History of Tomorrow in Hebrew in Israel in 2015 by Kinneret Zmora-Bitan Dvir."
"Previously published in Great Britain in 2016 by Harville Secker, a division of Penguin Random House Group Ltd."--Title-page verso.

Contents:

The new human agenda -- Homo sapiens conquers the world. The Anthropocene ; The human spark -- Homo sapiens gives meaning to the world. The storytellers ; The odd couple ; The modern covenant ; The humanist revolution -- Homo sapiens loses control. The time bomb in the laboratory ; The great decoupling ; The ocean of consciousness ; The data religion.

Yuval Noah Harari, author of the critically-acclaimed New York Times bestseller and international phenomenon Sapiens, returns with an equally original, compelling, and provocative book, turning his focus toward humanity’s future, and our quest to upgrade humans into gods.

Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style—thorough, yet riveting—famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonalds than from being blown up by Al Qaeda.

What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century—from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution. This is Homo Deus.

With the same insight and clarity that made Sapiens an international hit and a New York Times bestseller, Harari maps out our future.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 13 Aug 2016 07:56:48 -0400)

"Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style--thorough, yet riveting--famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonald's than from being blown up by Al Qaeda. What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century-- from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible