Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves

Blood Rose Rebellion

by Rosalyn Eves

OKAY I'm debating on my rating because I'm not sure if it should be kept at 3 or at 2.5 BUT I will expand all my thoughts in a bigger review.

Off the top of my head, I've read Red Queen, I read Gilded Cage (the Vic James one) - and it's basically the plots of this many other social class fantasy division with MAGIC books that I've read before. Not anything special, except with the inclusion of Hungarian history that made it unique. EXCEPT I've read some reviews and people are saying certain aspects of the language are incorrect and now I'm just iffy on this rating.

Will expand later. ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
*SPOILERS! Read at your own risk!*

The beginning was so interesting it got me invested in the story right away. However, the more I read, the longer it got... It took a long time before something else happened, something worthwhile. When it did, it soon went back to being boring.

Aside from that, the pages past the middle and the ending particularly are just mind-blowing! I was hoping for a certain development and it did go that way, turning everything upside down and did I love it! It was full of magic, doubts, otherwordly beings, and action. What's not to love?

Also, this book had a sense of travelling to it. The main character, Anna, who is Barren (which means she doesn't have magic in a magically-ruled world), travels with her grandmother to Hungary. I adored reading about them travelling, crossing countries, and meeting other people. There are even a few words and sentences in Hungarian. God help me for it was wonderful!

Moreover, Blood Rose Rebellion had the best character development with Anna Arden I've ever read! I started disliking her for she was haughty and spoilt but as the story progressed, I noticed she was learning how to love other people, or at least accept them. She would even defend a few of the less fortunate. By the end of the book, I came to like her and root for her. Now, if that's not character development done right, I don't know what it is!

I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 because it made me travel in different countries at a different time in a magical world. Plus, the character development in this book will never cease to amaze me. It lost one star simply for the boring parts that were too long.

It was quite an adventure and I would recommend it to everyone who loves magic, fantasy, other worlds, and quests for justice! It even surprised and delighted me. ( )
  Catherine_GV | Aug 29, 2017 |
In a world where the elite and privileged are magic users, poor teenaged Anna Arden is left out in the cold. She never developed any magical powers, barring her from much of the rich society she grew up in. Few if any suitors will ask for her hand, leaving her future looking pretty desolate. When she effectively ruins her sister's coming out magic demonstration and party, all eyes are on her, including those of the council that effectively rules all of England. What will the future hold for Anna?

I did not finish this book, which is rare for me. It did have some interesting aspects, but once I hit page 50, I didn't see any need to go on. The world's magic system is interesting with only the rich and powerful even being allowed access to magic due to a spell called the Binding. There are four types of spellcasters: elementalists manipulate nonliving elements and light, coremancers read and influence thoughts and emotions, animanti influence living things perhaps talking to animals or healing, and lucifera shape forces such as gravity and electricity. My confusing is that animant seems to be to close to coremancers considering people being living, but I didn't read far enough the differentiate the two more.

My main problem with the novel is Anna and her love interest Frederick. First, Frederick is obviously stringing her along and kissing her in secret while courting her sister in a more public way. In addition, he's incredibly condescending, treating her like she's stupid. How is he attractive in the least? Anna seems to be fine with this, convinced that he will choose her eventually. The kisses are discovered when Anna lies about who got her into the party she ruined and the council views the events through magic. Of course Anna is pretty much ruined even more than not having any magic, but she only cares about losing Frederick. I just can't support a character who acts so stupid and puts her infatuation for a boy above concern for her own life and future. I don't recommend the book based on what I read. ( )
  titania86 | Jul 7, 2017 |
*I received a copy of this book through the publisher.*

This book is certainly entertaining and enjoyable, but I couldn't help but keep thinking about a similar book I read not too long ago - A Shadow Bright and Burning. Both are set in a re-imagined Victorian era with a highly class structure based in part on magic, and both have spirited female leads who just can't quite manage to fit into their worlds. There are differences as well - Blood Rose Rebellion's action moves from the familiar British setting to that of Hungary and incorporates the social upheaval Hungary experienced in the late 1840s into its plot. Still, overall, I would A Shadow Bright and Burning as the superior novel if you're looking for this kinds of book. However, if you're simply after some interesting YA fantasy, this book will certainly meet your desires. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 29, 2017 |
Anna Arden is the protagonist who moves from London to Hungary based on the events occurring I would judge in the mid 1800's. This alternative European history has lots of magic and is ruled by a mysterious group known as The Circle. She does not believe she has any magical abilities but later she learns that she has the ability to break spells not create them. She develops a couple of love interests including a forbidden one with a Gypsy (Romani) boy named Gabor. This is the first part of a trilogy that I feel will be popular with a young adult audience. ( )
  muddyboy | Apr 17, 2017 |

Social prestige is derived from a trifecta of blood, money, and magic. However, one girl has the ability to break the spell that holds the social order in place. Sent from England to her family's once powerful but now oppressed native Hungary, Anna Arden finds herself in the company of nobles, revolutionaries, and the fierce and handsome Romani G‚abor. She must choose to either deny her unique power and cling to the life she's always wanted, or embrace her gift, spark a rebellion, and change the world forever.--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible