My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt

My Louisiana Sky (edition 2000)

by Kimberly Willis Holt

Info:Yearling (2000), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction

My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt

This was a book that we centered some lessons around. It is recommended on Learnzillion. I like that Tiger's parents had special needs, because I have never read a book where the main character had to face these types of issues. Yes, I often see teasing and bullying in books, but never because of mom and/or dad having mental challenges. Some of the students enjoyed this book, and were inspired to write about relatives with various disabilities. What I noticed, during our discussions, was how many kids shared personal information. I did not connect with this book, but I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  denisebarry | Oct 9, 2018 |
I read this book just recently for my school as will be discussing it in our next guidebook reading with our fourth grade classes. It is very relatable for my students as they find themselves embarrased by their parents, families or choices many times in school at this age. Added to Tiger's embarrassment is the fact that her parents have a mental disability that up until recently she did not even realize. Now she has many choices she has to make and all of those choices will help her to become a young lady she hopefully can admire and respect in the end. I feel the book portrays her parents as loving and caring individuals who happen to have a disability. ( )
  S.Becnel | Aug 26, 2018 |
This story is told from the point of view of a girl with two mentally handicapped parents. It’s very touching, sincere and sweet. It makes the reader take time to think about the important things in life. My Louisiana Sky is probably best geared toward a middle grade audience but is great for all ages. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Terrific to have a setting, characters, and theme different than anything I've read before. The storyline wasn't all that different, though, which was good, because otherwise the book would have wound up being too challenging. Instead, it's just a concisely told coming-of-age novel for MG readers who like to think about life and love. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440415705, Paperback)

Product Description
Your momma may have a simple mind, Tiger, but her love is simple too. It flows from her like a quick, easy river.

Tiger Ann Parker wants nothing more than to get out of the rural town of Saitter, Louisiana—far away from her mentally disabled mother, her “slow” father, and her classmates who tease her relentlessly. When her grandmother dies, Aunt Dorie Kay asks Tiger to live with her in Baton Rouge. Tiger finally has a way out; she can’t wait to go. But she’s finding that leaving her parents and the only home she’s ever known—changing her entire life—isn’t going to be that easy.

Amazon Exclusive: Lisa Gardner Reviews Still Missing

Sixteen years ago, My Louisiana Sky met its first group of readers. Back then I volunteered at my daughter's school library. Those first readers were fourth-graders who gave me twenty minutes of their weekly book-searching time. The story was in manuscript form and hadn't been sent out to potential publishers or agents. As a novice writer, the sessions with those young students were exciting and important to my craft. Their questions steered me back to the page, eager to clear up any confusion. After My Louisiana Sky was published I continued to get feedback from readers. A few weeks after the book debuted, I received a phone call from a woman who had grown up with a mentally challenged mother. She thought my story was a memoir. After convincing her it was fiction, I hung up with the startling realization that someone I didn't know had read my book.

Soon I began receiving letters from readers. Some told me they wished a part in the plot had turned out differently. Some liked it just the way it was. Many shared how the book had affected their lives. Last month a college student at a book festival told me My Louisiana Sky was one of her favorite books. She said she related to the main character. It was an emotional confession because she, too, had grown up as her mother's caretaker. She's among the readers who convinced me that no matter how old a story is, it has the power to connect with our current life.

Didn't I always know this? After all, I was a lonely seventh grader when I found The Heart is a Lonely Hunter in my junior high library. Somehow I didn't feel so alone, knowing that Mick shared the same longing for being accepted that I did.

More than a dozen years have passed since My Louisiana Sky was originally published. A lot of my readers weren't even born in 1998. I'm still hearing from them. The story may be old to me, but they are finding it for the first time.

This month My Louisiana Sky is getting a fresh look. The transformation stops at the cover. The words and story remain the same. I won't say the same old story because this journey has taught me that opening to the first page of a book is like taking a first step on a trail winding through the woods. The trail may have been carved by countless steps made from former travelers. But discoveries await us. We view the sights believing no one else has ever caught a glimpse of them, as if we are the original travelers. And, for a while, we are. For a while, everything is new.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:29 -0400)

Growing up in Saitter, Louisiana, in the 1950s, twelve-year-old Tiger Ann struggles with her feelings about her stern, but loving grandmother, her mentally slow parents, and her good friend and neighbor, Jesse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,816,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible