The Misfortunates by Dimitri Verhulst

The Misfortunates (2007)

by Dimitri Verhulst

Hemelsleutels by Tania Heimans (emhromp2)
    emhromp2: Also a bittersweet story about childhood and funny memories that may actually not be so funny after all.

Dutch (20)  English (11)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (33)
We do not forget that literature has another face, that of responsibility, awareness, commitment. It is the last that attracts me. - Dimitri Verhulst

Just another Belgian dipsomaniac proletarian coming of age story, albeit one with a Tour De France drinking competition and a multipage homage to the genius of Roy Orbison. The Misfortunates is brutal and never flinching, never allowing any moralizing in its episodic survey. This was likelier far more hilarious than it should have been for me. My reaction likely represents me as a darkish coot. I am pretty cool with that. The novel makes no effort to glorify the unfortunate nature of addiction and depravity. All the characters understand the situation, most are simply powerless in its wake. I did expect a return from the posh side of the family later in the novel after such an interesting arrival: the retrurn didn't occur. That isn't really a spoiler in the context of things. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Noi(io :-) ) ridiamo, noi(di nuovo io :-) ) piangiamo, il degrado e le difficoltà che avrà sicuramente passato Dimitri non ce li fa pesare, deve averli superati brillantemente(come si intuisce alla fine) grazie alla donna che ama [e grazie anche alla sua scaltra mente ironica ;-)].
E quindi, soprattutto se, come me, sei nato "ai bordi di periferia dove i tram non vanno avanti più", questo libro ti resta dentro. Uh, se ti resta dentro...
[Mi ha preso troppo 'sto libro, non trovo le parole giuste. Se non queste: se siete qua a leggere la scheda del libro, allora questo libro vi incuriosisce. Potete fidarvi, è un libro che non vi pentirete di avere letto!] ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
Divertido y deprimente. Sucio ( )
  aliolica | Jun 24, 2016 |
Compassion and humor save this book from being a disgusting account of an alcoholic family. It seems a hopeless situation except that the narrator escapes. Although the exploits often made me uncomfortable, I found myself enjoying the book. ( )
  snash | Feb 20, 2014 |
5 Stars
*I received this ARC copy through goodreads first reads*
Dimmy is young when his mother leaves and his father moves them in with his grandmother and three uncles. Sobriety is a bad word in their house and Dimmy has to navigate his adolescent years among unapologetic alcoholics and chaotic relationships. It is expected for Dimmy to follow in their footsteps but life could always pass on an opportunity if he’s willing to take it.
As someone who has seen loved ones battle the disease of alcoholism this novel felt familiar in some ways. A lot of readers will be able to relate on some level which makes this a subject that will never get worn out. I almost felt guilty for liking some of the characters or finding their antics funny, but comedy can help swallow a bitter pill as long as the importance is not pushed aside. I am not going to get too wordy because this is novel is really about personal taste more so than some. I will recommend this one but I will say that if you cannot read comic antics along with alcoholism it might not be the right fit. The author in no way diminishes alcoholism in my opinion. ( )
  shayrp76 | Oct 31, 2013 |

Dimitri Verhulstprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kersten, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Losman, DanielleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het verbaasde me dat je daaraan je leven kon wijden, de wereld nabootsen en daar niet helemaal in slagen, en wanneer je er wel in slaagt voeg je slechts het vergankelijke aan het vergankelijke toe, dat wat je niet kunt krijgen aan dat wat je niet hebt. - Pierre Michon, Meesters en Knechten
Waarom droom ik nu niet meer over mijn moeder? Misschien omdat ik te veel over haar geschreven heb, ik heb zelfs haar mooie profiel verspreid op de omslag van een boek, en ik heb haar aanwezigheid bezworen zonder ook maar iets te willen bezweren. Mij viel mijn moeder niet lastig, ik heb haar zelf opgeroepen door zoveel over haar te schrijven, maar ik vermoed dat ik uiteindelijk een literair personage heb geschapen, complex, artistiek, ingewikkeld, en daarmee is me de echte moeder ontvallen, de dode moeder. Ik ben de wees van een dode moeder omdat ik te veel over haar geschreven heb. - Francisco Umbral, Een wezen van verten
Voor Windop. En ter nagedachtenis van mijn grootmoeder, die zich de schaamte wou besparen en stierf terwijl ik de laatste bladzijden van het manuscript voltooide.
De vermeende terugkeer van tante Rosie naar Reetveerdegem werd als een aangename schok ervaren in de levens van onze volstrekt nutteloze mannen, waarvan ik er op dat ogenblik een in wording was.
Pierre Michon, Meesters en knechten /Francisco Umbral, Een wezen van verten

"Sobriety and moderation are alien concepts to the men in Dimmy's family. Useless in all other respects, his three uncles have a rare talent for drinking, a flair for violence, and an unwavering commitment to the pub. And his father Pierre is no slouch either. Within hours of his son's birth, Pierre plucks him from the maternity ward, props him on his bike, and takes him on an introductory tour of the village bars. His mother soon leaves them to it and as Dimmy grows up amid the stench of stale beer, he seems destined to follow the path of his forebears and make a low-life career in inebriation, until he begins to piece together his own plan for the future"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,602,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible