Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (edition 2009)

by Jacob Grimm (Author)

Member:ilaifire
Title:Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Authors:Jacob Grimm (Author)
Info:Barnes & Noble (2009), Edition: 1993 edition, 723 pages

Grimm's Fairy Tales {Barnes & Noble Classics} by Jacob Grimm (Author)

Absolutely horrible. I would have been more entertained reading a dictionary. I found myself yelling at this book in my head asking why in the world anyone considers these stories good. I am convinced that all the high ratings people are giving this book are based on the Disney stories that were loosely based on the pure garbage contained within this book.

I don't care if it's "good for its time" or "loses something in translation". Unless it was translated by house cat with slightly below average intelligence or written at a time when people considered gouging their own eyes out a leisure activity there is no reason for it to be this bad.

Do not read this crap to your children, they will become entitled racists who play the lottery. ( )
  raykhenberg | Sep 20, 2018 |
First, I must say that this B&N edition is gorgeous. Although I am not a huge fan of the interior illustrations, the design overall is gorgeous.
The collection is of stories is faithful, showcasing the cautionary nature of these folk tales without sugar coating.
If you are looking for a collection of these fairy tales without the Disney twist, this edition is a great choice. ( )
  DoctorFate | Jun 20, 2018 |
Every child should sometimes read Grimm's Fairy Tales. My children love them. They are delightfully dark and twisty, and surprising to children who believe they know the stories. While beautiful story books should be shared with younger children, I love the complete Grimm's tales for older children who are ready for something a little more "grim!" ( )
  PattyHoward | Apr 24, 2018 |
These are one of my favorite story collections. I read these when I was about six years old. They are probably one of the reasons I love dark, macabre stories. These are not the Disney fairy tales that you see in the movies. These are from a time when life was difficult at best. Perhaps there are happy endings but it was very clear that if you were not of the pure of heart or who tried to do the right thing you would most certainly would come to a bad end.
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
All I can say is, if you think you know these old folk tales, you really want to read them again in their original forms. ( )
  cjrecordvt | Aug 13, 2016 |

Grimm, JacobAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, WilhelmAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dalton, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimm, Ludwig EmilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Linguists, philologists, and restorers of ancient texts, the Brothers Grimm practically invented the science of folklore with the publication of Kinder-und Hausmarchen (1812-1815), which became popularly known as Grimm's Fairy Tales. Comprising 120 of their best-loved tales, this new Barnes & Noble Classics edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales includes criticism, reception, discussion questions, and legacies, to appeal to readers of all ages.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,558,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible