More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional…

More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics (2007)

by Steven E. Landsburg

Questo libro parla (anche) di sesso, perchè fa vendere. Per il resto, parla della parola "autocompiacimento" nelle sue diverse declinazioni, associata alla parola "speculazione da tavola calda" che raggiunge vette insperate. A questa, la consuetudine del "relativismo intellettuale" declinata ad ogni conclusione rende superflua la lettura.
Irritante come una zanzara tigre intrappolata in un bagno pubblico, e altrettanto utile.
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Provocative and thought-provocative. As an a entry-level book on economics, I enjoyed it much more than the oft-touted Freakonomics. ( )
  Kuiperdolin | Nov 11, 2009 |
I read The Armchair Economist and More Sex is Safer Sex back to back and remember them both as cost/benefit analysis stretched to its utmost. Which can be fun if you do not take it too seriously. There are also some suggestions for establishing added incentives for judges and juries, as well as firemen, that reminds me of Rube Goldberg contraptions and are all good for a broad smile. In short I think Landsburg is good, very good, with a tongue in his cheek that I suspect he just might not have - well maybe he has. ( )
  jahn | Jun 23, 2009 |
I still have not read Freakonomics but this book is supposededly similiar. I absolutely loved this book! I really liked the section on "how to fix everything else". It just seems like such simple solutions to everyday economics, but sometimes it is so radical that it doesn't seem like it would work. ( )
  KristenZ | May 10, 2009 |
Steven Landsburg's writings are living proof that economics need not be "the dismal science". Readers of The Armchair Economist and his columns in Slate magazine know that he can make economics not only fun but fascinating, as he searches for the reasons behind the odd facts we face in our daily lives. In More Sex is Safer Sex, he brings his witty and razor-sharp analysis to the many ways that our individually rational decisions can combine into some truly weird collective results -- and he proposes hilarious and serious ways to fix just about everything.

When you stand up at the ballpark in order to see better, you make a rational decision. When everyone else does it too, the results, of course, are lousy. But this is just the tip of the iceberg of individual sanity and collective madness. Did you know that some people may actually increase the spread of sexually transmitted diseases when they avoid casual sex? Do you know why tall people earn more money than shorter competitors? (Hint: it isn't just unfair, unconscious prejudice.) Do you know why it makes no sense for you to give charitable donations to more than one organization?
Landsburg's solutions to the many ways that modern life is unfair or inefficient are both jaw-dropping and maddeningly defensible. We should encourage people to cut in line at water fountains on hot days. We should let firefighters keep any property they rescue from burning houses. We should encourage more people to act like Scrooge, because misers are just as generous as philanthropists.
Best of all are Landsburg's commonsense solutions to the political problems that plague our democracy. We should charge penalties to jurors if they convict a felon who is later exonerated. We should let everyone vote in two congressional districts: their own, and any other one of their choice. While we're at it, we should redraw the districts according to the alphabetical lists of all voters, rather than by geography. We should pay FDA commissioners with shares of pharmaceutical-company stocks, and pay our president with a diversified portfolio of real estate from across the country.
Why do parents of sons stay married more often than parents who have only daughters? Why does early motherhood not only correlate with lower income, but actually CAUSE it? Why do we execute murderers but not the authors of vicious computer viruses? The lesson of this fascinating, fun, and endlessly provocative book is twofold: many apparently very odd behaviors have logical explanations, and many apparently logical behaviors make no sense whatsoever.
  rajendran | Feb 16, 2009 |
To Homeport
in all its manifestations

and

to Lisa
the best surprise of my life
PREFACE:
Unconventional Wisdom

Common sense tells you that promiscuity spreads AIDS, population growth threatens prosperity, and misers make bad neighbors. I wrote this book to assault your common sense.

Makes provocative suggestions for tackling difficult modern issues, from using promiscuity as a method of spreading disease to charging juries for exonerating convicted felons and giving rescued property to firefighters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible