The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace…

The Big Rock Candy Mountain (1943)

by Wallace Stegner

Series: Bruce Mason (1)

English (33)  French (1)  All languages (34)
This book is as close to the great American novel as any that I have read. Kept me glued to the covers day after day as I traveled thru Peru (of all places!). I wish the ending had been a bit cleaner, however. I felt that, much like The Angle of Repose, the ending of the book was rush and a bit too philosophical....let the reader do the philosophizing! Easily, the two best characters in the book were Bo and Elsa....the kids were two pieces of work. A result of the parents? Maybe, but I had absolutely no sympathy for crybaby Bruce or his rock stubborn brother. Whatever the faults of the parents, and I'm not so sure I would classify them that way, at least they had the gumption to motivate themselves to live their lives....something the sons couldn't seem to do. And, personally, for the times, I see nothing wrong with Bo's lifestyle, that "home" business of Elsa'a and Bruce's is a bit to claustrophobic for me.... ( )
  untraveller | Jan 13, 2019 |
A sprawling narrative that taps into the greatness of the American ideal and its failings. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 24, 2018 |
An iconic novel, akin to "Grapes of Wrath", "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" is emblematic of the shortfalls of the American dream. This is a sweeping novel, set in the western United States, as the sense of endless possibility is co-mingling with the end of the frontier mentality. One family, whose father is restless and driven to hit the peak of the big rock candy mountain, lives in 100 homes in 30 years. The rootlessness and it's impacts are the central theme of the novel. Frustration, tolerance, shame, loyalty, and the anger engendered by the pattern of the family's existence are described in wonderful prose. I was very moved, and reminded of what really matters in life! Magnificent novel!_ ( )
1 vote hemlokgang | Feb 2, 2018 |
Beautifully written and epic-like in its scope, this novel traces the failure of a family, brought down by the father's unfailing pursuit of easy money. The portrayals of Bo, Elsa, and their two sons are so fully developed and show such a broad range of emotion and experience. Mr. Stegner manages the difficult task of showing just how destructive Bo is, and yet also how charismatic and attractive he could be. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 27, 2017 |
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Will probably read all of Stegner now. Still the best book I've read in 2016. Coming of age, western expansion, family drama, bootlegging, what is not to love? ( )
1 vote kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |

Wallace Stegnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The light was slanting strongly through the windows when Elsa awoke.

Bo Mason and his wife and two boys live a transient life of poverty and despair; drifting from town to town, the violent, ruthless Bo seeks his fortune. Stegner has created a masterful, harrowing saga of a family trying to survive during the lean years of the early 20th century.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,821,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible