The Power by Naomi Alderman

The Power (2016)

by Naomi Alderman

The City & The City by China Miéville (charl08)
    charl08: Both books ask questions about what we take for granted in our everyday realtors..
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (kk1)

English (105)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (107)
Full disclosure: I had Friday night dinner with the author's father in August 1985. OK, I get that's not much of a disclosure, but I've never been able to say that about any other book I've read, so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

The Power is a delightfully subversive speculative novel. It works on its own terms both as a thriller and as a piece of classic sci-fi, forcing the reader (or at least this male reader) to consider prejudice, privilege and patriarchy without ever seeming worthy or didactic. I whizzed through this in a day, but I suspect it will stay with me a while longer. Brava. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this book :) ( )
  KellyFordon | Mar 6, 2019 |
For about the first 2/3 of this book I felt like I was reading a solid, fast-paced dystopian tale with interesting characters, neither shallow or deep. The last 15 or so pages pulled it together for me and raised it from 3 stars to 4 stars. I think the idea of using electrical power as both a metaphor and a literal picture of the way abstract power flows in a society was inspired! One of the final pages in the novel has an excerpt from the Apocrypha of the Book of Eve, describes what I'm thinking about here.

The shape of power is always the same: it is infinite, it is complex, it is forever branching. While it is alive like a tree, it is growing; while it contains itself, it is a multitude. It's directions are unpredictable; it obeys its own laws. No one can observe the acorn and extrapolate each vein in each leaf of the oak crown. The closer you look, the more various it becomes. However complex you think it is, it is more complex than that. Like the rivers to the ocean, like the lightning strike, it is obscene and uncontained." ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
What happens when women become more physically powerful than men? In this bleak thesis, women gain a power to create powerful electrical charges. It doesn't turn out well for men. Or for civilization. ( )
  dougcornelius | Feb 26, 2019 |
I have mixed feelings about this. I wanted to like it so bad, but at the same time it was so obvious, so unsurprising, so childhish. Women gain a power that makes them physically superior to men, making it possible for them to electrocute them by touch. I mean, come on. It can't only be about who has the physical power. What about intelligence? Apparently not an issue, when it comes to humans. I don't know why I was so disappointed in this, I expected The Power to be something more I guess. I also expected the story to be more than an extended short story, which is what this felt like. Still, I gave this four stars, because 1) it's a dystopia 2) it's by Naomi Alderman and 3) it has a great cover.

And also to remind myself that good books are great even though I expect them to be better. I just have to remember how bad the crappy ones are. ( )
1 vote Iira | Jan 27, 2019 |
Alderman [...] imagines our present moment — with our history, our wars, our gender politics — complicated by the sudden widespread manifestation of “electrostatic power” in women. Young girls wake up one morning with the ability to generate powerful electric shocks from their bodies, having developed specialized muscles — called “skeins” — at their collarbones, which they can flex to deliver anything from mild stings to lethal jolts of electricity. The power varies in its intensity but is almost uniform in its distribution to anyone with two X chromosomes, and women vary in their capacity to control and direct it, but the result is still a vast, systemic upheaval of gender dynamics across the globe.

Alderman has written our era's "Handmaid's Tale," and, like Margaret Atwood's classic, "The Power" is one of those essential feminist works that terrifies and illuminates, enrages and encourages.
added by melmore | editWashinton Post, Ron Charles (Oct 10, 2017)

The novel is constructed as a big, brash, page-turning, drug-running, globetrotting thriller, one in which people say things such as: “It’s only you I’ve blimmin come to find, isn’t it?” and “You wanna stand with me? Or you wanna stand against me?” But it’s also endlessly nuanced and thought-provoking, combining elegantly efficient prose with beautiful meditations on the metaphysics of power, possibility and change.

Naomi Aldermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thiele, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gli anziani andarono da Samuele e dissero:

"Dacci un re che ci governi".
E Samuele disse loro: "Questo sarà il diritto del re che regnerà su di voi: prenderà i vostri figli per destinarli ai suoi carri e ai suoi cavalli, li farà correre davanti al suo cocchio, li farà capi di migliaia e capi di cinquantine, li costringerà ad arare i suoi campi, mietere le sue messi e apprestargli armi per le sue battaglie e attrezzature per i suoi carri. Prenderà anhce le vostre figlie per farle sue profumiere e cuoche e fornaie. Prenderà pure i vostri campi, le vostre vigne, i vostri oliveti più belli e li darà ai suoi ministri. Sulle vostre sementi e sulle vostre vigne prenderà le decime e le darà ai suoi cortigiani e ai suoi ministri. Vi prnederà i servi e le serve, i vostri armenti migliori e i vostri asini e li adopererà nei suoi lavori. Metterà la decima sulle vostre greggi e voi stessi diventerete i suoi servi. Allora griderete a causa del re che avete voluto eleggere, ma il Signore non vi risponderà".
Il popolo rifiutò di ascoltare la voce di Samuele e disse: "No! Ci sia un re su di noi. Saremo anche noi come tutti i popoli; il nostro re ci farà da giudice, uscirà alla nostra testa e combatterà le nostre battaglie". Samuele ascoltò tutti i discorsi del popolo e li riferì all'orecchio del Signore. Il Signore disse a Samuele: "Ascoltali: lascia regnare un re su di loro".
1 Samuele 8
For Margaret and for Graeme, who have shown me wonders
Dear Naomi,
I've finished the bloody book.

In The Power the world is a recognisable place: there's a rich Nigerian kid who larks around the family pool; a foster girl whose religious parents hide their true nature; a local American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But something vital has changed, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power - they can cause agonising pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world changes utterly.

This extraordinary novel by Naomi Alderman, a Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year and Granta Best of British writer, is not only a gripping story of how the world would change if power was in the hands of women but also exposes, with breath-taking daring, our contemporary world.

When a new force takes hold of the world, people from different areas of life are forced to cross paths in an alternate reality that gives women and teenage girls immense physical power that can cause pain and death.A rich Nigerian boy; a foster kid whose religious parents hide their true nature; an ambitious American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. When a vital new force takes root and flourishes, their lives converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls and women now have immense physical power-- they can cause agonizing pain and even death. And everything changes ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,415,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible