The book of qualities by J. Ruth Gendler

The book of qualities (edition 1988)

by J. Ruth Gendler

201458,418 (4.28)3
Member:bertilak
Title:The book of qualities
Authors:J. Ruth Gendler
Info:New York : Perennial Library, 1988.
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:mooched, illustrated, moods, emotions, character traits, personification

The Book of Qualities by J. Ruth Gendler

A beautiful and engaging way to use language. ( )
  CassieM | Dec 10, 2010 |
Wonderful book. She re-introduces us (if we hadn't already met them) to the qualities that come and go in our lives. Their personalities and quirks seem fresh, but in the end are as familiar to us as if they were old friends come to visit. ( )
  remikit | Jul 25, 2009 |
This is one of the books I kept from my mother's library after she passed away. I love reading the different qualities. The author is very insightful. This book is truly a keeper and I'm sure I'll come back to it often. ( )
  Marjjane1 | Apr 16, 2009 |
I have read from this book at a wedding, shared it with many friends, and relish re-reading the qualities now and again. ( )
  kayautic57 | Sep 9, 2008 |

From Beauty to Compassion, from Pleasure to Terror, from Resignation to Joy -- here is an insightful exploration of the rich diversity of human qualities. J. Ruth Gendler's evocative book has as its cast of familiar characters our own emotions, brought to life with a poet's wisdom and an artist's perceptive eye. In The Book of Qualities' magical community, Excitement wears orange socks, Faith lives in the same apartment building as Doubt, and Worry makes lists of everything that could go wrong while she is waiting for the train. In portraying the complexities of the psyche, Gendler uses the Qualities to bridge the distinctions between literature and psychology, and has created an original work that challenges us to look at our emotions in new and inspiring ways.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible