The Tenth Circle: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

The Tenth Circle: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:monika868
Title:The Tenth Circle: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Paperback, 416 pages

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult (2006)

English (133)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
Rainbow parties! Ketamine! Professors sleeping with students! Professors killing students! And make sure you cry really hard over all of it because it is sad and horrible! ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
I know Jodi Picoult books all involve court and legal issues. Normally they start off strong, but then fizzle out on me. I have liked everything I had previously read, but never loved any. After starting this, I thought that was going to change, but I was wrong. So disappointing!

When this first started I did not think I was going to like it. The introduction was amazing, but then is started introducing the characters and I was thinking this would be something that I would probably not finish. Once the story begins, I was hooked though and I did not want to put this down. That changed towards the ending though. The characters end up leaving on a journey to Alaska and that is where this lost me. What just happened? And why? Everything that was amazing about the story just dropped off. It was like we started a whole new book. Where this started off as a 5 star read, I am thinking about even dropping this to a 2 star after this change in plot. It took away the whole point of this story and what happened to Trixie. I just do not get it! I was so frustrated as I thought I finally found a Jodi Picoult book that was finally going to have a great ending.

This does have triggers for rape, suicide, and cheating. It was up and down with twists and turns. My emotions were all over the place as you try to figure out what really happened to Trixie. However; there was no point in all of the Alaska storyline. There were so many things left unexplained.

Overall, this was another amazing start and horrible finished storyline! So sad! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jun 15, 2018 |
Fourteen-year-old Trixie Stone is in love for the first time. She's also the light of her father, Daniel's life -- a straight-A student; a pretty, popular freshman in high school; a girl who's always seen her father as a hero. That is, until her world is turned upside down with a single act of violence. Suddenly everything Trixie has believed about her family -- and herself -- seems to be a lie. Could the boyfriend who once made Trixie wild with happiness have been the one to end her childhood forever? She says that he is, and that is all it takes to make Daniel, a seemingly mild-mannered comic book artist with a secret tumultuous past he has hidden even from his family, venture to hell and back to protect his daughter.
With The Tenth Circle, Jodi Picoult offers her most powerful chronicle yet as she explores the unbreakable bond between parent and child, and questions whether you can reinvent yourself in the course of a lifetime -- or if your mistakes are carried forever.
  JESGalway | May 31, 2018 |
I was warned that I might want to throw this book against the wall like I have done with another of Piccoult's books, and the warning was a good one. There seems to be so little justice in this book, not to mention the improbable as the book draws to a conclusion. The subject is teenage rape, and the question is when is it rape and when is it not?

Warning - There could be some spoilers in this section. For much of the book, the reader is led to believe that Trixie, the main character, has been raped by a former boyfriend. Later, we learn that it was all a set up. The young man accused commits suicide, or did he? It would appear that he was killed, or was he? There were drugs involved and very promiscuous young teenage girls. There is a mom having an affair with a college student she teaches. Then to top off all the improbabilities, Trixie runs away, and in the whole world, her father knows just where to find her and drops his whole life and takes the forgiven wife along where all are reunited and apparently forgiven for all the wrong that was done.
I don't recommend this one! ( )
  hobbitprincess | Feb 10, 2018 |
An awesome read, as was expected by Jodi Picoult! Though it wasn't her best work, it still was an awe-inspiring read. The graphics and the secret hidden in them just adds to the pleasure! ( )
  Swibells | Nov 28, 2017 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brovelli, ChiaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monda, CarolReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoever ga je om je geliefden te beschermen?
For Nick and Alex Adolph (and their parents, Jon and Sarah) because I promised one day I would.
December 23, 2005

This is how it feels when you realize your child is missing: The pit of your stomach freezes fast, while your legs go to jelly.
In de vroegst mogelijke tijd,
toen zowel mens als dier op aarde leefden,
kon een persoon als hij wilde een dier worden,
...en een dier kon een mens worden
Soms waren ze mensen
en soms dieren
en er was geen verschil.
Ze spraken dezelfde taal.
Dat was in de tijd dat woorden nog toverkracht bezaten.
Het menselijke brein bezat mysterieuze krachten.
Een woord dat toevallig werd uitgesproken
kon vreemde consequenties hebben.
Het kon plotseling tot leven komen
en wat mensen wilden dat zou gebeuren kón ook gebeuren -
het enige dat je hoefde te doen was het uitspreken.
Niemand had er een verklaring voor:
het was nu eenmaal niet anders.

- 'Magic Words', door Edward Field
Geïnspireerd door de Inuit

Comic book artist Daniel Stone, a stay-at-home dad with a fourteen-year-old daughter Trixie, and an unfaithful wife, turns a blind eye to Trixie's first broken heart and wife Laura's affair, but the feelings of rage he has buried for years come to the surface when Trixie is raped at a party and accuses her former boyfriend.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074349671X, Paperback)

Bestselling author Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle is a metaphorical journey through Dante's Inferno, told through the eyes of a small Maine family whose hidden demons haunt every aspect of their seemingly peaceful existence. Woven throughout the novel are a series of dramatic illustrations that pay homage to the family's patriarch (comic book artist Daniel Stone), and add a unique twist to this gripping, yet somewhat rhetorical tale.

Trixie Stone is an imaginative, perceptive 14 year old whose life begins to unravel when Jason Underhill, Bethel High's star hockey player, breaks up with her, leaving a void that can only be filled by the blood spilled during shameful self-mutilations in the girls' bathroom. While Trixie's dad Daniel notices his daughter's recent change in demeanor, he turns a blind eye, just as he does to the obvious affair his wife Laura, a college professor, is barely trying to conceal. When Trixie gets raped at a friend's party, Daniel and Laura are forced to deal not only with the consequences of their daughter's physical and emotional trauma, but with their own transgressions as well. For Daniel, that means reflecting on a childhood spent as the only white kid in a native Alaskan village, where isolation and loneliness turned him into a recluse, only to be born again after falling in love with his wife. Laura, who blames her family's unraveling on her selfish affair, must decide how to reconcile her personal desires with her loved ones' needs.

The Tenth Circle is chock full of symbolism and allegory that at times can seem oppresive. Still, Picoult's fans will welcome this skillfully told story of betrayal and its many negative, and positive consequences. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

When the ghost of his murdered fourteen-year-old daughter identifies her boyfriend as her killer, an overprotective father with a secret past decides to take the law into his own hands, a choice that takes him from a small New England community into the wilds of the Alaskan bush. By the author of Vanishing Acts.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible