Splash! Poems of Our Watery World by…

Splash! Poems of Our Watery World (edition 2002)

by Constance Levy, David Soman (Illustrator)

Member:klledet
Title:Splash! Poems of Our Watery World
Authors:Constance Levy
Other authors:David Soman (Illustrator)
Info:Orchard (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, poetry, gr. 3-6, science, water

Splash! Poems of Our Watery World by Constance Levy

I loved this book. I've always had a fascination with water, and the book captures all of the reasons why. There's one poem in particular - Water Wizard - that stood out because I feel as though I've written these same thoughts before. It makes the reader think about all the ways we encounter water. It's such a powerful thing. The book has poems of all sorts - informative, humorous, etc. ( )
  LindseyB12 | Feb 20, 2013 |
Splash! Poems of our Watery World by Constance Levy is a book of poems that have to do with how water is involved in our lives on a daily basis. The book includes the different states of water (the liquid-water, the gas-steam, and the solid-ice). It also has many poems that use words conducive with water repetitively, for example “wave, after wave, each wave…”, here she is using the word “wave” repetitively. Levy also has poems where she uses rhythm and rhyming. This makes it enjoyable for younger children to read the poems.
  sarahflack | Dec 11, 2012 |
As residents of the greater New Orleans area, water has affected us in more ways that one. What a wonderful composition of poems to represent how water is intertwined in our daily lives. This book of poems can be used for a variety of things. As a future educator of elementary school students, I can see how this book can be used to integrate Science and English Language Arts. By beginning a lesson with a one of these short poems, such as "Snap Beans" or "River Games," students will being to ponder what the poem means. This gets the class thinking and engaged in the lesson. I have actually used this method before and have found it very effective. ( )
  klledet | Nov 18, 2012 |
Sometimes, because it is all around us, water can be taken for granted. This book of poems celebrates water in all of its many forms. From bodies of water to forms of precipitation, water is glorified in verse. Some of the poetry may be too advanced for younger readers. ( )
  MalissaLojszczyk | Apr 24, 2012 |
I chose the book titled “Splash” written by Constance Levy and illustrated by David Soman. This to me was a very interesting book. I enjoy poetry and this book is a collection of poetic writing detailing our water system, and the importance of water. This book was beautifully enhanced by David Soman’s water color illustrations to go along with the beautiful poem collection that flows from page to page.
This non-fiction book describes our water system which we know is an everyday need. A large part of science couldn’t have even began if we weren’t able to access as much water and as easily as we can today. Levy takes the water system to the next level. She is able to make it interesting for young readers while educating them at the same time.
I believe my class would enjoy reading a couple of these exerts every once in a while. I could possibly pick this poem up every rainy day and read a short poem out of the book. I don’t really imagine my students’ running for this book in the library seeing as it is many short stories rather than just one. I believe Levy does an amazing job throwing her poetry in with her education lesson and this also is a book I’d like to have in my classroom library.
  lintng01 | Nov 10, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439293189, Hardcover)

From juicy grass to waves of spit and anger to teardrops to winter "sky-pickles," award-winning poet Constance Levy splashes around in all water's many forms. Thirty-four poems celebrate snowdrops, soap bubbles, fog, and glaciers, in a way that will encourage young readers to view the regular old world through new lenses:
I love you,
fuzzy foggy air,
so dewy wet
and white

because without you
who would know
what walking in a cloud
is like?

David Soman's shades-of-blue-gray illustrations (in watercolor, of course) more often evoke than depict, inspiring still more flights of fancy in the reader. Levy's childlike joy in water--whether it be a still pool, scampering ocean waves, or "tasty snowflakes"—-is contagious. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:55 -0400)

More than thirty poems celebrate water in its myriad forms, from the ocean to a droplet of dew.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible