Mississippi Sissy by Kevin Sessums

Mississippi Sissy

by Kevin Sessums

Interesting story of a boy growing up in the deep south dealing with being gay. ( )
  ahooper04 | Apr 1, 2009 |
Overly melodramatic with Sessums a frustrated dramatist, despite the sad, disturbing early years of his life. Gives a hard look at southern attitudes in the sixties that makes one wonder how anyone "different" survived. Disappointing and unsatisfying story. ( )
1 vote dugmel | Jun 26, 2008 |
Really enjoyed this book. Only criticisms might be that the timeline skips around rather too much and that Sessums seems in love with his writing style (not a bad thing in itself, just don't want it to be obvious when I'm reading). A few minor grammatical errors that surprised me, given his otherwise excellent command of the written word. ( )
  RobinReardon | Jun 20, 2008 |
Astonished. What can I say. As a gay boy who grew up a sissy in the South, I completely identified with the alienation that Sessums felt. But the ability of this boy/man to transcend the most awful of setbacks early in life is without a doubt one of the more inspiring stories I've ever read. I finished this book over three months ago and I am still haunted and bewitched by this book. The women in this book are full of such strength. The author's mother, grandmother, his maid Matty Mae, his Aunt Lola. A poignant portrayal of author Eudora Welty who along with his mentor Frank Harris, groomed this author to write an autobiography that is absolutely perfect. Run to the bookstore. BUY this book. 100 stars out ten (sorry to digress to such cliche's it's the only way to express sufficiently my enthusiasm for this book). I guffawed and cried my way through this brilliant book. ( )
  mgaulding | Mar 19, 2008 |
This book, despite some of its serious content, is one of the funniest books I've ever read. Kevin Sessums brings the colorful characters in his life alive in the most delightful way. A must read for anyone who enjoys memoir! ( )
  justjess | Aug 10, 2007 |

Mississippi Sissy is destined to become an American classic

In a book that echoes the time-honored fiction of Harper Lee and Flannery O'Connor and memoirs by Mary Karr and Augusten Burroughs, Kevin Sessums brings the American South and the experiences of a strange little Mississippi boy to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:22 -0400)

A celebrity journalist chronicles his bullying behaviors throughout his Southern youth, his friendships with such figures as Eudora Welty, and the impact of journalist Frank Hain's murder on his career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible