My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella

My Not So Perfect Life

by Sophie Kinsella

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
Warning: don't read the book blurb, it gives too much away.
This was an unusual choice for our book group because it was more chick-lit than we usually read. It was picked because it covered the subject of social media and advertising, which is hugely topical right now.

Katie Brenner has finally nabbed her perfect job - at the very bottom of the advertising ladder. The salary is so low that she has to rent a room with no wardrobe space and stores her belongings in a hammock hanging over her bed. She has a long, stressful commute and spends her day doing repetitive tasks. Her Instagram page, however, paints a very different picture - drinks with friends and a trendy lifestyle in London.

Sophie Kinsella is guaranteed to take any situation and draw out the funny side of it, and this was no exception. I'm not a great fan of Chick-Lit as a genre, but if it's amusing, then all is forgiven. Ms Kinsella is one of a very few authors who can make me smile while reading and I did highlight quite a few passages.

I do think that the book blurb gives away far too much of the story and I'm glad I hadn't read it beforehand, or there would have been no surprises. Although it was somewhat predictable and didn't really provide much in-depth discussion, it was generally enjoyed by my book group as a light summer read. The big exception to this, however, were those involved in advertising, who categorically refused to accept the ending as in any way feasible.

My ratings:
Remember Me 4*
Shopaholic Ties the Knot 3.5*
Shopaholic and Baby 4* ( )
  DubaiReader | Sep 19, 2018 |
Check out this review and others at: http://debbiesbooknook.com/book-reviews.html

Occasionally, when I am done with a super serious book, I like to change it up and read something predictable that ends with “happily ever after.” Sophie Kinsella’s, My (Not So) Perfect Life is funny, enjoyable, and uncomplicated. The novel’s central message is although life is not perfect, it’s still pretty damn good. It’s up to us to own it and make the best of it. I appreciate Kinsella’s consistent sense of humor and found myself laughing out loud throughout the novel. (I think this book would make a cute romantic comedy). If you enjoy funny chick lit, you will be pleased.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House for providing me with an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
It was a fun book. A good, easy beach book. Nothing earth shattering. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 20, 2018 |
Katie works for a marketing firm in London. She's the low man on the totem pole, she's underpaid, her commute is long and complex, her boss is a nightmare, but she loves working in marketing and living in London and she's working to move up in the firm. And then her boss fires her and she's back home at her father's farm in Somerset, helping her Dad and stepmother set up a business running deluxe "glamping" holidays for Londoners.

This is the literary equivalent of having a milkshake for dinner. It's light and fun. Kinsella is good at writing dialogue and coming up with ridiculous situations that make complete sense in the world of that novel. I did like that this was a novel about a young woman with career dreams that weren't made light of. Katie earns her happy ending in a way that was refreshing and new. Of course there's a love interest, this is, after all, Chick Lit, but that definitely plays second fiddle to the more important story of a young woman receiving recognition for her own hard work and talent. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Apr 9, 2018 |
My Not So Perfect Life is a story that everyone will identify with and nod their heads with how relatable it is. Kate shows off the perfect life on social media (while keeping the messy details off of her Instagram feed). When Kate loses her job in London, she is forced to move back to the country to live with her father. What follows is a fun and witty story with some depth as we see Kate begin to realize that some things aren't as perfect as they are when they're perfectly projected on social media.

Since Kate struggles with her identity in a culture that is obsessed with looking perfect on social media and because she is humbled by returning "home" after a downfall, I found her character to be completely relatable. She's also hilarious.

What I love about this story is that you think you're going to read something surface-level and sparkly (and it is very solid escapist women's fiction), but lurking beneath that surface is a deeper story about the complexities of identity, family and relationships.

The dialogue is on-point and witty, the characters are well-developed (I loved seeing the evolution of Kate) and the story is charming. If you need a good book to escape into, this is it.

Many thanks to Random House and NetGalley for allowing me to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote LauraBethR | Mar 28, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081299826X, Hardcover)

From Sophie Kinsella, the New York Times bestselling author of I've Got Your Number, Wedding Night, and Confessions of a Shopaholic, comes a brand new novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:40:04 -0400)

"When Katie Brenner is fired from her dream job in advertising in London, she's desperate to get away from her mad boss Demeter, and her crush, Alex, who she thought shared her feelings of adoration but didn't. Seeking refuge, she goes home to her father's farm in Somerset to help make her stepmother's dream of turning their land into a glamping retreat come true. Applying her savvy marketing smarts, Katie masterminds a glamorous upscale resort. But when Demeter shows up unnannounced, with Alex not far behind, Katie is forced to rethink her revenge fantasies and her assumptions about family, love, and office politics and realize how much she may have misjudged everyone--and everything--around her"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible