Maxwell the Monkey Barber by Cale Atkinson

Maxwell the Monkey Barber

by Cale Atkinson

Maxwell the Monkey Barber is a cute and delightful read. This is the story of a sweet and talented barber monkey named Maxwell. He helps all the different animals of the jungle with their hairstyle dilemmas. The animals all flock to his barbershop so that Maxwell can help them look their best. With his scissors, he snips, trims and always makes sure to compliment his many customers.

After a busy day of trimming and cutting, Maxwell gets one last customer. A sad elephant comes into the shop and asks Max if there is anything he can do to help him (because he has no hair). The clever little monkey spends the whole night thinking and pondering what he can do to help elephant feel and look his best. Finally, he comes up with an idea that might just turn the elephant’s frown upside down.

This is a lovely story about kindness, and how with a little help from our friends we can go from feeling blue to feeling great. There is also a nice lesson regarding loving yourself for just the way you are. The colorful and playful illustrations are detailed and wonderful to look at. The rhyming and the humor will be sure to keep the little ones entertained and smiling.

Maxwell the Monkey Barber is a great story to read out loud and with a group of children. Children will laugh, clap and cheers for Maxwell and all his jungle friends too. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a caregiver to kids between the ages of 2-5. ( )
  Moirai | Aug 23, 2017 |
(Copy was provided to read and review.)

Monkey Maxwell has found his true vocation. Big hair or no hair, he is the man for you.

His daily customers are as unusual as it is for a monkey to be the owner of a barber shop in the first place.
The baboon carries half of a zoo on his scalp by now and is in urgent need of a haircut.
The lion needs help to untangle his mane and bear has turned into a hipster and wants the beard shortened, but the elephant has a totally different problem. The poor guy is follically challenged.
Maxwell, true to his passion finds a solution, but does his idea work and will the big bald animal like his new look?

We see, Maxwell’s shop is doing well, because he’s clever and knows how to please his customers. Everyone is send home with the same compliment, “You’re hair is the best I’ve seen today.”
I had a lively discussion about Maxwell’s customer treatment with my preschoolers and it’s fascinating to see how quickly quite a few of them understood, often enough we are “charmed into business”.
The best seller is always the one, who understands, the customer is a human being (well, most of the time) and has feelings.
Sell emotions and your business will do well. That’s why a cardboard box with junk food and a cheap plastic toy inside is a Happy Meal.

Overall, Maxwell the Monkey Barber is a very funny and whimsical picture book which young children and early readers will enjoy. The illustrations are hugely colourful and tie in perfectly.

There isn’t a lot of text and some of it is repetitive, which helps with a reluctant reader. Personally, I would’ve liked the cheerful rhyming story to go on for a bit longer, it ended on my Kindle at around 66 percent. ( )
  MasterReadersBooks | Jan 24, 2017 |
Maxwell the monkey barber is ready to give you a trim or a chop, or even to help you solve your baldness problem. And he is always gentle and says "your hair's the best I've seen today".

Rhymed text and colorful pictures tell the funny story of a bunch of lovable characters and their curls, manes and mustaches. Great option for a read aloud time.

Find more children's book reviews in Reviews in Chalk ( )
  Sanlema | Sep 14, 2016 |
This book is absolutely darling. Anyone searching for whimsical, silly books to read to their children that stand out from others on the shelf will definitely find themselves a fan of the stylized, full-color illustrations and prose that, while adhering to a scheme, does not sacrifice story cohesion for the sake of rhyming. The animals' syntax is delightfully peculiar, yet natural and easily understood.

The phrases that are repeated specifically contribute to the story's charm rather than serving only as filler, which makes Maxwell the Monkey Barber a fun read-aloud or wonderful option for young readers gaining confidence in their abilities.

I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback. I intend on purchasing a physical copy to read to my kiddos. ( )
  py34tt | Aug 22, 2016 |
Maxwell the Monkey Barber wants to help everyone look their best. He trims, chops, cuts and makes his customers look and feel their best. When elephant comes to see him he is sad that he has no hair and his head is cold. Maxwell wants elephant to feel as good about himself as his other customers so he thinks and thinks to come up with a solution. Seeing all the hair on the floor from his previous customers, he comes up with a solution.

The story is told in rhyme which is quite catchy. The repetition will also appeal to young children as they can "read along". I love the illustrations. They are bright and colourful cartoon-like animals that will definitely make the little ones smile. A great book for family libraries as well as primary schools and classrooms.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 21, 2016 |

Maxwell the monkey barber cuts the hair of all his jungle neighbors, but when a bald elephant lumbers into his shop Maxwell needs to come up with a solution!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,487,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible