The Widow's House by Carol Goodman

The Widow's House (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Carol Goodman (Author), Cassandra Campbell (Narrator), HarperAudio (Publisher)

12016143,007 (3.64)19
Member:Bookmarque
Title:The Widow's House
Authors:Carol Goodman (Author)
Other authors:Cassandra Campbell (Narrator), HarperAudio (Publisher)
Info:HarperAudio (2017)
Collections:Kicked to the Curb
Rating:*1/2
Tags:audio, 2017, 10/17, gothic, unreliable narrator

The Widow's House: A Novel by Carol Goodman (2017)

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Widow's House makes several allusions to "The Yellow Wallpaper."

I read The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman a couple of years ago and was deeply impressed with the book. After that, did I read The Ghost Orchid and The Sonnet Lover and was not as impressed (not bad books, just not was good as The Lake of Dead Languages). So, when I saw this book and read the description did I immediately want to read it. I love old mysterious houses and the description of this book, about a couple moving there as caretakers made me think of The Shining. Especially since the husband is a writer.

I quite enjoyed reading The Widow's House, the story is good, and I felt that the characters are complex and there is something very weird going on. Clare Martin has had problems in the past, for instance, a miscarriage when she was in college and her childhood was a hard one. And, now at the house, is she experiencing things that make her wonder if the house is haunted or if she is losing it.

One thing I truly loved about the book is how not everything is at it seems, Clare's husband Jess didn't make a good first impression on me, and although the book did I feel that he was a self-centered son of a bitch. But, the ending, without wanting to give anything away, I love how Carol Goodman decided to write an ending that just turned everything around.

The Widow's House kept my interest up from the beginning until the end. I've been a bit tired of reading psychological thrillers with a woman in center trying to solve a mystery, but this book felt refreshing to read. I felt that I connected with the story and its characters and I was eager to learn the truth about the house.

4.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
The Widow's House has it all. There’s a crumbling estate, family secrets, haunting ghosts, a vulnerable heroine, a couple of murders, and lots and lots of atmosphere.

Sound confusing — like it may be too much? Fear not, Ms. Goodman weaves all these elements together into an enthralling and well-crafted Gothic tale.
Ms. Goodman is a master at plotting and building tension as she take the reader through her twists and turns.
The ending of the tale will haunt you with this lingering thought — “was any of this real”? A perfect read for Halloween.
See my complete review at BookBarmy(dot)com ( )
  BookBarmy | Oct 9, 2017 |
Jess is a selfish douchebag. A cartoon of a villain.
Whats-her-name is mental. whackjob.
too many words repeated - figure, laptop
too many of the same words used in back to back sentences, or in the same sentence. bleah.
story is a bit jumbled in terms of revelations and explaining the past through the present.
community so stratified - rich mansion people, townies and river folk
narrator sometimes mispronounces Concord as Concorde. oy. also idyll - it's not idol.
oy so melodramatic. so histrionic. pretty dumb.
enough with the blood imagery already - all the stupid woman ever sees is ghosts and blood on everything.
oh no. is Claire dreaming/hallucinating this whole thing? oy vey.
everyone is always grimacing and taking deep breaths. ugh.
can't pronounce petite four. I'm really starting to hate this affected narrator.
Sigh. revolvers don't have safeties.
Dunston calls her Clairey? OMFG
Well I like the way it ended with Claire psychically causing everything through her inherited ability, but damn if it wasn’t torture to get there. ( )
  Bookmarque | Oct 2, 2017 |
Jess and Claire Martin move away from their bustling Brooklyn life in hopes that their marriage and Jess's writing career are rekindled. Due to their dwindling budget they end up in their old college town, taking on a caretaker's job in a large house owned by one of their old writing professors. Soon, it's not Jess's writing career that's rekindled. Between the legends that the house they are now staying in is haunted, and the almost suffocating atmosphere of the deteriorating estate, Claire soon is wondering if her imagination is running rampant, or, is there really some truth to the horrifying legends of the house? Claire is soon delving into a new book of her own, and has a hard time separating truth from fiction. Who can she trust? What's real and what's just in her head? Another atmospheric and absorbing novel by one of my favorite authors!

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Experiencing marital and financial problems Jess and Clair Martin decide to leave behind city life and move into a cottage on the property of their former college literature professor. There are lots of things that go bump in the night and danger lurking all around.

As the marriage falls apart, so too does the fragile string to reality. While I liked the book, there were too many occurrences of weirdness for me to believe the tale. ( )
  Whisper1 | Aug 11, 2017 |
For Lee
When I picture the house, I see it in the late afternoon, the golden river light filing the windows and gilding the two-hundred year old brick.

This chilling novel from the bestselling, award-winning author of The Lake of Dead Languages blends the gothic allure of Daphne DuMaurier’s Rebecca and the crazed undertones of Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper with the twisty, contemporary edge of A.S.A. Harrington’s The Silent Wife—a harrowing tale of psychological suspense set in New York’s Hudson Valley.

When Jess and Clare Martin move from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to their former college town in the Hudson River valley, they are hoping for rejuvenation—of their marriage, their savings, and Jess's writing career.

But their new life isn't all quaint town libraries and fragrant apple orchards. There is a haunting pall that hangs over Riven House like a funeral veil. Something is just not right. Soon, Clare begins to hear babies crying at night, see strange figures in fog at the edge of their property. Diving into the history of the area, she realizes that Riven House has a dark and anguished past. And whatever this thing is—this menacing force that destroys the inhabitants of the estate—it seems to be after Clare next…

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:59:17 -0400)

When Jess and Clare Martin move from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to their former college town in the Hudson River valley, they are hoping for rejuvenation -- of their marriage, their savings, and Jess's writing career. They take a caretaker's job at Riven House, a crumbling estate and the home of their old college writing professor. While Clare once had dreams of being a writer, those plans fell by the wayside when Jess made a big, splashy literary debut in their twenties. It's been years, now, since his first novel. The advance has long been spent. Clare's hope is that the pastoral beauty and nostalgia of the Hudson Valley will offer some inspiration. But their new life isn't all quaint town libraries and fragrant apple orchards. There is a haunting pall that hangs over Riven House like a funeral veil. Something is just not right. Soon, Clare begins to hear babies crying at night, see strange figures in fog at the edge of their property. Diving into the history of the area, she realizes that Riven House has a dark and anguished past. And whatever this thing is -- this menacing force that destroys the inhabitants of the estate -- it seems to be after Clare next…… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,963,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible