No Darker Place: A Thriller (Shades of…

No Darker Place: A Thriller (Shades of Death)

by Debra Webb

If you enjoy a thrilling roller coaster ride, then you'll love this one. Not many authors make me lose myself in the story without seeing the writer, but Debra Webb has done just that. Her new series comes on the scene with a bang; starring embattled Montgomery detective Bobbie Gentry.

Start the series with the short story, the Blackest Crimson. It'll definitely whet your appetite for the ride. ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
I liked the story and the characters in this novel. A dark story-line that had enough hope to keep you going. I want to read more about this world and some of these characters in future installments.

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
I received a digital review copy from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Bobbie Gentry is grateful to be back working as a police detective. She has survived the murder of her husband, the accidental death of her son, and the torture and mutilation suffered at the hands of a serial killer. The only thing she's looking forward to is finding the man known as the Storyteller and obtain revenge for the loss of her family. Little does she know she's going to get the chance to do just that. Nick Shade has spent the past ten years of his life studying serial killers and hunting them down. He doesn't work for any governmental agency nor is he affiliated with any police force. Because he doesn't have to adhere to the rules and regulations governing law enforcement agents, he can often work outside of those rules and regulations to track killers down and bring them to justice. Nick is also on the trail of the Storyteller and is willing to help Bobbie in any way he can to see that this killer doesn't have the opportunity to kill again. Both Bobbie and Nick have secrets that they're keeping from one another. Can they work together in order to save lives? Can they trust one another in order to save each other before it's too late?

No Darker Place is the first book in the new Shades of Death series by Debra Webb and this book packs quite a punch. Ms. Webb has provided two primary characters that are deeply flawed yet realistic in their presentation. The bad guy is also deeply flawed and oh-so-easy to loathe and despise. Bobbie and Nick are surrounded by law enforcement rules that put things in a black or white perspective, yet they know that the criminal world operates in shades of gray. Both Bobbie and Nick are willing to enter those shades of gray in an effort to see that justice is served, no matter what. No Darker Place deals with some horrific themes, such as serial killing, rape, torture, mutilation, child abduction, child abuse, and more. Ms. Webb deals with these themes in a respectful yet realistic manner. I found No Darker Place to be an engrossing read and only set this book aside when forced to deal with a severe migraine headache (and even then I didn't want to put the book down). No Darker Place is a somewhat dark read due to the themes presented, but it is a fast-paced read that provides suspense, chills, thrills, and even hints of romance. This was the first book I've read by Ms. Webb but it won't be my last. I'm looking forward to the next installment in the Shades of Death series and while waiting for it, I'll be reading the prequel to this series, The Blackest Crimson and possibly rereading No Darker Place. For those of you that enjoy mystery or suspense reads, then I encourage you to grab a copy of No Darker Place to read.

This review originally posted on 03/06/2017 at www.thebookdivasreads.com ( )
  BookDivasReads | Mar 6, 2017 |
Holy Cow! Talk about jumping right into the action! This book is pretty much one you can't put down after the first few pages. While you can't put it down it's one of those all consuming reads that you don't want to end so you try to slow it down to make it last just a bit longer. The great thing is that book two is due out in May and book three in August. Alright! I love it when a author can immerse us in a series as fascinating as this one in about six months. It's definitely not going to be a one read book in a series and you forget it and move on.
There is also a 60 page prequel,The Blackest Crimson, out already that really should be read before this one. I didn't know about the prequel before writing the review and though I know it would have made Bobbie's need for revenge more palpable, there's more than enough details of her husband's and son's death to curl your toes and make you scootch just a bit closer to hubbs while reading this.
This is a great psychological thriller and the addition of the mysterious Nick Shade adds another layer to the story. The Storyteller reminds me a bit of the type of killer from Criminal Minds, really totally scary and almost unbelievable but yet still possible.
The only thing I hate about reading a book this fascinating so early in the year is that everything else I read is going to have a hard time measuring up. I also did not realize how many of Debra Webb's other books I'd read until I checked her out on my go to author reference, Fantastic Fiction. I've read oodles of her more than 50+ Colby series books and found that she has another series involving serial killers, Faces of Evil. I've already ordered the first four books in this series from PaperBackSwap and I'll be letting you know about them later. So if you're ready for that first perfect/scary/thriller read of 2017 get started on The Shades of Death series by Debra Webb. ( )
  alterlisa | Jan 9, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778319830, Mass Market Paperback)

They want revenge. They need each other.

Detective Bobbie Gentry has one objective: to stop the serial killer who robbed her of her husband, her child and her life. Nick Shade understands Bobbie's pain—and her desire for vengeance. He's on a mission of his own, and the murderer known as the Storyteller is next on his list. Nick knows that the best way to find his target is to stick close to Bobbie. But as she becomes more and more reckless in her attempts to lure the Storyteller out of hiding, he has to make a choice. Will he protect her from herself even if it means passing up the chance to take out one more monster? As for Bobbie, she's forced to decide just how much she can trust this stranger who knows so much about her. And both of them are about to learn whether or not two broken people can save each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 07 Sep 2016 20:02:24 -0400)

"Detective Bobbie Gentry has one objective, to stop the serial killer who robbed her of her husband, her child and her life. Nick Shade understands Bobbie's pain, and her desire for vengeance. He's on a mission of his own, and the murderer known as the Storyteller is next on his list. Nick knows that the best way to find his target is to stick close to Bobbie. As she becomes more and more reckless in her attempts to lure the Storyteller out of hiding, he has to make a choice. Will he protect her from herself even if it means passing up the chance to take out one more monster?"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible