The Lost Order by Steve Berry

The Lost Order

by Steve Berry

This one is about another American history 'secret' - the Knights of the Golden Circle and the vast confederate treasure they managed to collect after the Civil War. The action starts when a Smithsonian historian is sent to check out a site where confederate gold might be buried and instead is chased off. As weapons were involved, former Justice Department agent Cotton Malone and his girlfriend/fiance get involved and the book takes off from there. Add in a plot to completely change the government of the USA and it's quite a wild ride. The concepts are quite similar to Dan Brown books, though the hero is more of a James Bond type and a cryptographer combined and his partner is definitely more action oriented as well, she operates independently for most of the book. I enjoyed reading this and it made me somewhat curious about the knights, just to see how much historical foundation there might be found.
I thought this was a fun read, though a bit implausible. However, I see that now History channel has a Confederate Gold show, so maybe there's something to all these legends of confederate gold after all! ( )
  Karlstar | Apr 28, 2018 |
In The Lost Order, the latest Cotton Malone offering from Steve Berry, two factions of the Knights of the Golden Circle are working at cross purposes. The Knights were formed during the civil war by southern sympathizers who were convinced the South would lose the war. They hid away a vast treasure that was to be used in the future when the timing was right to take over the U. S. government. One faction believes that time has arrived. The other believes the time is not yet right. Neither faction knows where the treasure is hidden and both are engaged in a bloody fight to find it.

A third contender is the wife of a recently deceased U. S. Senator who is scheming to elevate the Speaker of the House of Representatives to the status of a virtual emperor while securing the treasure for herself. All that stands in the way of these schemers is Cotton Malone, Casiopeia Vitt, and former President Danny Daniels.

As with former Berry novels, if found the story hard to get into. The use of frequent flashbacks early in the book interrupts the flow of the story. Early on the action moves across six or so principle characters so just as I begin to feel engaged in that perspective the focus shifts to an entirely different character and scenario. The process is one of repeated irritation and it resulted in a book I frequently had no difficulty setting aside.

I also found the plot to be too far-fetched. I enjoy well-written speculative fiction but the outlandish scenario and facile solutions to the complex difficulties encountered by the protagonists were unsatisfying.

This is the third Steve Berry novel I have read and it will be the last. ( )
  Tatoosh | Nov 15, 2017 |
I always want to like Steve Berry books. They are a mix of history and adventure with a protagonist that could stand in for Indiana Jones in a pinch. Berry's historical research has always been impeccable, but for me the problem, has been how poorly written the books are and the gaping holes in the plot lines.
Thankfully The Lost Order addresses both of those issues. The tale, involving lost gold and secret societies from America's past, is much better written and requires fewer leaps of faith. The tale progresses rapidly with the reader spending the majority of the time on the edge of their seat.
That doesn't mean all is perfect though.There are some leaden parts with characters remaining inexplicably alive, but all in all this is a great summer beach read. ( )
  norinrad10 | Jul 17, 2017 |
Very slow for about the first half - seemed like one big conspiracy theory, - although it seems to have been well researched and obviously highly detailed this book was not one of Berry's better works. It might be time to send Cotton Malone, Stephanie Nelms, Danny Daniels, and Casiopia Vitt into retirement and develop a new cast of characters. ( )
  labdaddy4 | May 8, 2017 |
Title: The Lost Order (Cotton Malone #12)
Author: Steve Berry
Pages: 512
Year: 2017
Publisher: Minotaur Books
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Steve Berry is a new author to me whom I learned about through a friend who has enjoyed his other novels in the Cotton Malone series. Now, I am hooked! This author’s writings are well-researched and he keeps the reader’s attention with the history period setting of the story. I loved the novel too as there was no sexual stuff in the book and the pace of the tale was gripping, making it hard to put down but easy to pick the story right back up when I wanted to read.
At the end of the book, the author explains which parts of his fictional work are factual and which parts are made up from his imagination. The man who is known as Cotton comes from a line of men who have served the country and Cotton works for the Justice Department occasionally now after retirement. No matter who is involved, Cotton goes after the truth and his best weapon is his very sharp intellect.
Cotton also has a girlfriend who has worked many cases with him whose name is Cassiopeia and together they are a formidable duo. They know each other well and they are getting to a place where it might be time to consider a slower pace as their romance is blooming. The story takes place at times in the Smithsonian Institute with a treasure missing since the Civil War and other artifacts. There is danger, murder, intrigue, romance, history, politics, and more.
I was engaged from the moment I opened the book until I had to put it aside to take care of real life. Yet, I couldn’t wait until the quiet of the late evening to again get lost in the many interactions between formidable characters and the search for gold that includes a key, maps, and avoiding those intent on getting to the gold first at all costs!
So, if you’re like me, and this would be your first novel by the author, I really think you will enjoy the book! I plan on reading the other 11 novels in this series each with its own unique setting and historical facts with fiction that together make for a wonderful story! Trust me, this novel will leave you wanting more from Steve Berry! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | May 4, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125005625X, Hardcover)

Now, one hundred and sixty years later, two factions of what remains of the Knights of the Golden Circle want that lost treasure―one to spend it for their own ends, the other to preserve it.

Thrust into this battle is former Justice Department agent Cotton Malone, whose connection to the knights is far deeper than he ever imagined. At the center is the Smithsonian Institution―linked to the knights, its treasure, and Malone himself through an ancestor, a Confederate spy named Angus “Cotton” Adams, whose story holds the key to everything. Complicating matters are the political ambitions of a reckless Speaker of the House and the bitter widow of a United States Senator, who together are planning radical changes to the country. And while Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt face the past, ex-president Danny Daniels and Stephanie Nelle confront a new and unexpected challenge, a threat that may cost one of them their life.

From the backrooms of the Smithsonian to the deepest woods in rural Arkansas, and finally up into the rugged mountains of northern New Mexico, The Lost Order is a perilous adventure into our country’s dark past, and a potentially even darker future.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 23 Aug 2016 04:23:30 -0400)

"The Knights of the Golden Circle was the largest and most dangerous clandestine organization in American history. It amassed billions in stolen gold and silver, all buried in hidden caches across the United States. Since 1865 treasure hunters have searched, but little of that immense wealth has ever been found. Now, one hundred and sixty years later, two factions of what remains of the Knights of the Golden Circle want that lost treasure--one to spend it for their own ends, the other to preserve it. Thrust into this battle is former Justice Department agent Cotton Malone, whose connection to the knights is far deeper than he ever imagined. At the center is the Smithsonian Institution--linked to the knights, its treasure, and Malone himself through an ancestor, a Confederate spy named Angus "Cotton" Adams, whose story holds the key to everything. Complicating matters are the political ambitions of a reckless Speaker of the House and the bitter widow of a United States Senator, who together are planning radical changes to the country. And while Malone and Cassiopeia Vitt face the past, ex-president Danny Daniels and Stephanie Nelle confront a new and unexpected challenge, a threat that may cost one of them their life. From the backrooms of the Smithsonian to the deepest woods in rural Arkansas, and finally up into the rugged mountains of northern New Mexico, The Lost Order is a perilous adventure into our country's dark past, and a potentially even darker future"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible