Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti: Home

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Binti (2)

After surviving a perilous journey and enrolling in the best university in the galaxy, Binti spends a year studying and realizes she needs to return home, which she does. This book tells the story of her welcome by her family and her continual discovery of new facets of her being. ( )
  nmele | Sep 7, 2018 |
This is when the Binti series starts to pick up! I had read other reviews before that the 3 books should’ve just been one book. This one was magical! I was hooked from the start! I had to tell myself to read slower because I was nearing the end of the story. I know I gave the first book 3 stars, but this book for me is a 5. ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
The second installment of Binti by Nnedi Okorafor does not disappoint. I did note that it felt like it needed to be longer and just made into a novel, but I think the installments seem to be working well for the author's style. A lovely read.

I had a harder time engaging with the second one, perhaps because there is a bit more character development happening and less scifi, fast-paced action. It was so enjoyable to read that I didn't mind so much though. ( )
  hlwalrath | Aug 21, 2018 |
A fascinating look to a future time, to a Earth changed dramatically from the one we know, and intergalactic travel and society. The Desert People fascinate me. I read this back to back with Binti, so it's hard to parse out the details from each. I look forward to The Night Masquerade to complete the trilogy. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 11, 2018 |
The sequel to Binti is really the first half of a larger story. The first half of Home itself is about Binti's return to her home after a year at space university, her friend who is also a warrior alien jellyfish in tow. It's kind of your normal thing in a story of this sort: she's changed both physically and emotionally, so has her family, and resentment simmers on every side. Then in the second half, she participates in a coming-of-age ritual of her people, and soon discovers she's even more special than the first book made her seem. Then things end on a cliffhanger, so I guess I'll need to pick up Binti: The Night Masquerade.

It's all right. Like with the first volume, it some times feels contrived. The family stuff is well done, if a bit clichéd. Clichés are often true, of course, but I rarely felt things rose to that level. To be honest, I wish we'd had a book of her actually at space university before we got a book of her coming back home. The second half has a lot of exposition about Binti's hidden heritage; I reserve judgment on this until I see how it plays out in Night Masquerade, but that leaves me without much to say about this volume in itself.
  Stevil2001 | Jun 15, 2018 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, LeeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

"Five, five, five, five, five, five," I whispered.

It's been a year since Binti and Okwu enrolled at Oomza University. A year since Binti was declared a hero for uniting two warring planets. A year since she found friendship in the unlikeliest of places. And now she must return home to her people, with her friend Okwu by her side, to face her family and face her elders. But Okwu will be the first of his race to set foot on Earth in over a hundred years, and the first ever to come in peace. After generations of conflict can human and Meduse ever learn to truly live in harmony?… (more)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible