Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti: Home (edition 2017)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

Series: Binti (2)

Member:othersam
Title:Binti: Home
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2017), 176 pages

Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor

A year after the events of the first book, Binti returns home with some changes to her physical form and a Meduse friend coming along. Another fantastic story from Okorafor. I especially loved learning Oomza University and how it accommodates a multitude of species within its campus. It's amazing to me how Okorafor can pack so many layers of culture and characters into such a slim book. ( )
  andreablythe | May 5, 2017 |
Nnedi Okorafor's Binti: Home picks up where her original novella, Binti, left off, with main character Binti Ekeopara Zuzu Dambu Kaipka of Namib working on her mathematics/harmonizing lessons at Oozma Uni and acting as a go-between for humanity and the Meduse, through their representative, Okwu. As the title states, Binti returns home to Earth and the family she left behind, only to deal with her feelings of being adrift from the world she knew while simultaneously learning new things about herself and her culture. Okorafor's science fiction remains some of the best modern sci-fi, with plot elements that resemble the best of Clarke or Asimov (it's hard not to compare Binti at Oozma Uni with Hari Seldon at Streeling University on Trantor in Foundation), but she does so with her own unique voice. She does a good job explaining what her readers need to know without bogging down the story in exposition. Additionally, her portrayal of organic technology, such as the living ship Third Fish, makes the reader consider technology beyond the usual mechanical devices and further fires the imagination. While Okorafor finishes with an open ending, she does not disappoint the reader and I sincerely hope she will write a third volume to wrap up the narrative. Even with a conclusion to Binti's story, the world Okorafor created between the first two Binti books is large enough to warrant a series of stories all set in the same universe exploring similar themes while continuing to push the bounds of sci-fi. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 19, 2017 |
Okorafor weaves a tight and fast-paced plot in this sequel to Binti. Despite the high drama of the first novella, the stakes seem higher in the sequel thanks to that pacing. The main character's interaction with her family and home village also give her character a depth that I felt was lacking from the first. A quick, enjoyable read. Highly recommended if you enjoyed the first. ( )
  jellyfishjones | Apr 11, 2017 |
I loved Nnedi Okorafor's novella Binti and had only the small and very minor niggle that the story was a bit plain and resolved rather too easily. Minor niggle to me at least, other readers thought different about that, and apparently so did the author herself - if there is one thing that it is impossible to say about Binti's sequel Home, then that it presents its reader with pat and easy solution. In fact, it leaves us with so many narrative threads dangling (not to mention ending on a cliffhanger) that one cannot help but suspect some kind of Hegelian dialectics at work here: If Binti presented a bold and simply stated thesis, then Home is the antithesis to that, negating and dismantling every apparent certainty established in the first novella.

This makes Home an unsettling and occasionally outright uncomfortable reading experience which is far removed from the exuberance of Binti. It is no less fascinating however, the world building continues to be jaw-droppingly bizarre, and the character of Binti only becomes enriched when we learn that the events of the first novella did not pass her by without leaving a trace, something she has to struggle with during her time at Oomza Uni and which leads her to return home where she plans to make a pilgrimage in order to cleanse herself. The pilgrimage however, turns out to be not the one was she was expecting and in the course of it she - and the readers - discover a third culture besides the Khoush and the Himba, along with some reveals about Binti's and her world's past.

There really should be a third novella which harmonizes everything into a synthesis, and I find myself hoping that it will be released very soon. Great stuff, and I really need to read more by Nnedi Okorafor.
  Larou | Mar 28, 2017 |
Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor is a sequel novella to Binti, which I reviewed here and which went on to win both the Hugo and Nebula awards for Best Novella. The sequel follows on from the original story, showing us the next chapter of Binti's life, and focussing on a very different set of experiences. This review will contain some spoilers for the first novella.

The first Binti novella followed Binti on her eventful and ultimately traumatic journey from her home on Earth to the prestigious Oomza University. Binti: Home opens on Oomza University and follows Binti as she makes the decision to go home for a visit. Rather than focussing on the journey this time, the story focusses on what happens after Binti gets home.

The novella deals a lot with change and belonging. Binti was changed by her time at Oomza, from learning new things and living in a different environment with a diverse assortment of people. She was also changed, both emotionally and physically, by the events en route to Oomza. How does she then go about fitting in back home? In a culture where no one leaves (usually) the very act of going away and coming back is subversive in itself, but the added changes of the journey are revolutionary. The scenes with Binti's family were the most upsetting, I thought, and although some of their reactions are understandable I, as the reader sympathising with Binti, couldn't help but be outraged at how unfair they were.

If you enjoyed Binti, I definitely recommend reading Binti: Home. It's the next part of Binti's story and, as the ending strongly implied, it's not the last part either. I hope there will be a third story because Binti: Home ended on more of a cliffhanger than I was expecting. I turned the page expecting more story and was met with "About the Author"! I need to know what happens next! Argh! If you haven't read Binti, I recommend picking that up first, since Home builds a lot on what came before. If you're a fan of thoughtful science fiction, I highly recommend this series of novellas.

4.5 / 5 stars

You can find more reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Feb 5, 2017 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, LeeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible