The ice queen [a novel] by Alice Hoffman

The ice queen [a novel] (edition 2005)

by Alice Hoffman, Nancy Travis

From the bestselling author of "Practical magic", a miraculous, enthralling tale of a woman who is struck by lightning, and finds her frozen heart is suddenly burning. Be careful what you wish for. A small town librarian lives a quiet life without much excitement. One day, she mutters an idle wish and, while standing in her house, is struck by lightning. But instead of ending her life, this cataclysmic event sparks it into a new beginning. She goes in search of Lazarus Jones, a fellow survivor who was struck dead, then simply got up and walked away. Perhaps this stranger who has seen death face to face can teach her to live without fear. When she finds him, he is her opposite, a burning man whose breath can boil water and whose touch scorches. As an obsessive love affair begins between them, both are forced to hide their most dangerous secrets, what turned one to ice and the other to fire.… (more)
Member:mimi_bookdragon
Title:The ice queen [a novel]
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Other authors:Nancy Travis
Info:[New York, N.Y.] : Time Warner Audio Books, 2005.
Rating:***

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

English (74)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
I generally really enjoy this author, but this was not my favorite. Hard to get into, and the main character was tiresome and one dimensional. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
I have always loved the fairy tale aspects of Alice Hoffman's writing.
This story fascinated me with the subject of persons who are struck by lightning. Their stories of how and where it struck them and the stories of what happened to them afterward.
This is a sad book and one which made me think of many things.
The closer I got to the last pages of this book, the more tears I cried. ( )
  DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
Very interesting book. I will read more by this one. Her writing style is intoxicating. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
While this book was pretty interesting I didn't enjoy it that much. It is very well written but also very depressing. I certainly don't expect every book to be sunshine and giggles through the whole story but this one is a downer for pretty much the whole book. The main character does grow which is nice but it's not enough to make the book worth it in my opinion. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
Be careful what you wish for. I know that for a fact. Wishes are brutal, unforgiving things.

How's that for an opening?!

After losing her mother at the age of eight, the unnamed narrator decides she doesn't deserve much of a life. She builds a fortress between her and others, allows her heart to freeze solid, she merely exists. Until 30 years later, the day she's struck by lightening.

"Everyone has them. I mean one defining secret. The essence of a person. If you figure that out, you figure out the riddle of that particular human being."

The Ice Queen was my first time reading Alice Hoffman, and I'm kinda surprised at how fluffy this story was. For some reason I was expecting something darker. Or maybe it was the romance that made it feel fluffy? Sure, there were some heavy issues tackled (I even cried a teensy bit) but closing the book I was left with an overall feeling of warmth, of hope, which I admit was nice.

"This is what I know, the one and only thing. The best way to die is while you're living."

3.5 stars (I look forward to reading many more books by Hoffman.)

----------------------

"If Frances York had known what I was doing, I would have been fired on the spot. What people read revealed so much about them that she considered our card catalog a treasure house of privileged secrets; each card contained the map of an individual's soul."

"This would be the moment I would never let go of, even though it caused me the greatest pain. When I was old, when I couldn't walk or talk or see, I would still have this."

After finishing the book, I couldn't help feeling like the main character's story mirrored that of the fairy tale she liked least, "Godfather Death," and that her brother switched places with her because the way she was "living" wasn't really a life, and it seemed as if he saved her life by dying. ( )
1 vote flying_monkeys | Sep 7, 2016 |
Be careful what you wish for. I know that for a fact.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,592,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible