On Truth by Harry G. Frankfurt

Pequeña joya que aunque no ocupará un lugar ni en la historia de la filosofía ni de la literatura describe la falta de compromiso con la verdad, tan cierta en estos tiempos que corren. ( )
  maripax | May 11, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030726422X, Hardcover)

Having outlined a theory of bullshit and falsehood, Harry G. Frankfurt turns to what lies beyond them: the truth, a concept not as obvious as some might expect.

Our culture's devotion to bullshit may seem much stronger than our apparently halfhearted attachment to truth. Some people (professional thinkers) won't even acknowledge "true" and "false" as meaningful categories, and even those who claim to love truth cause the rest of us to wonder whether they, too, aren't simply full of it. Practically speaking, many of us deploy the truth only when absolutely necessary, often finding alternatives to be more saleable, and yet somehow civilization seems to be muddling along. But where are we headed? Is our fast and easy way with the facts actually crippling us? Or is it "all good"? Really, what's the use of truth, anyway?

With the same leavening wit and commonsense wisdom that animates his pathbreaking work On Bullshit, Frankfurt encourages us to take another look at the truth: there may be something there that is perhaps too plain to notice but for which we have a mostly unacknowledged yet deep-seated passion. His book will have sentient beings across America asking, "The truth—why didn't I think of that?"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

After the success of his work "On bullshit," Frankfurt looks at the other side of the philosophical coin. If bullshit resides in the realm of subjective perception, then truth points to what lies outside that realm. Frankfurt is praised for his ability to speak to a wide general audience. Thus, On Truth is required reading for anyone who wishes to understand the function of truth in our culture.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible