The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy…

The Jane Austen Book Club (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Karen Joy Fowler

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:The Jane Austen Book Club
Authors:Karen Joy Fowler
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (2004)

English (167)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (174)
I quite enjoyed the book. It wasn't exactly like the movie (no book is), but enjoyable just the same. I have to say, the book focused a lot more on Sylvia than the movie did, and I wish there had been more story development for the other characters in the book. Prudie's story especially is left hanging and resolved in the background. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
This book it's really good and you don't really have to have read all Jane Austen's novels to understand it, but I'd say it's nice to get in right mood for it. Each chapter we follow the story of one character and one book. I thought it was great to see how the novels were chosen for each character and how each character has its own Austen. To me Prudie's chapter was the best, I really connected with her. The reason this title was not so perfect to me was the inconstancy of some chapters, for some of Austen works were not openly discussed and I really liked the whole book club thing. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
The writing is not good, the characters are weak, and the plot even weaker. Our book club really didn't care about any of the characters. We certainly didn't agree with the good reviews the book received. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 11, 2016 |
Six people meet monthly to discuss Jane Austen's novels. There's a fairly contented woman in her sixties, two long-standing friends in their 50s, a young French teacher, another young woman who is the daughter of one of the good friends, and a guy who really prefers science fiction.

The book has brief descriptions of the meetings, and a lot of flashbacks into the characters' pasts. I found it interesting, on the whole, but did not enjoy it as much as I had expected to. There really isn't much plot, and there isn't a whole lot of discussion of Austen either. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters who seemed flat - not even amusing like some of Austen's characters - and although I kept trying to like it, I think I must have missed the point.

Still, it made pleasant enough light reading.

There are brief details about Jane Austen's novels at the back of the book, and some fascinating glimpses into comments and quotations made by her family, friends and other readers.

Perhaps three and a half stars. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book was okay. I might have enjoyed it more had I not seen the movie first, though the movie was surprisingly true to the book with only a few changes. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 18, 2016 |

Karen Joy Fowlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schraf, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken. - Jane Austen, Emma.
For Sean Patrick Jmes Tyrrell,
Missing and forever missed.
We sat in a circle on Jocelyn's screened porch at dusk, drinking cold sun tea, surrounded by the smell of her twelve acres of fresh-mowed California grass.
Above Daniel's head, one leaf, and only one leaf, ticked about on the walnut tree. How exacting, how precise tbe breeze! It smelled of the river, a green smell in a brown month. She took a deep breath. (p.243)
In general, librarians enjoyed special requests. A reference librarian is someone wbo enjoys tbe chase. When librarians read for pleasure, they often pick a good mystery. They tend to be cat people as well, for reasons more obscure. (p.213)

Jane Austen as a
Plot device, badly written
Drivel: not worth it.
(passion4reading)

In California’s central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin,
unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens. With her eye for the frailties of human behavior and her ear for the absurdities of social intercourse, Karen Joy
Fowler has never been wittier nor her characters more appealing. The result is a delicious dissection of modern relationships.

Dedicated Austenites will delight in unearthing the echoes of Austen that run through the novel, but most readers will simply enjoy the vision and voice that, despite two centuries of separation, unite two great writers of brilliant social comedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

As six Californians get together to form a book club to discuss the novels of Jane Austen, their lives are turned upside down by troubled marriages, illicit affairs, changing relationships, and love.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible