The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy…

The Jane Austen Book Club (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Karen Joy Fowler

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:The Jane Austen Book Club
Authors:Karen Joy Fowler
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (2004)

English (157)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
It's been years (okay, decades) since I read any of Jane Austen's books, so the allusions were a bit lost on me. But I liked the characters in the Jane Austen book club. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
This book group asked questions that I wouldn't have thought of, and didn't ask the questions that I had. I love Jane )as Purdie would say) and have read each of her books more than once. It is always fun to get different points of view -- that is the beauty of the book club. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Okay book--entertaining and well written but just not…as good as Jane Austen! Interesting premise--each club member has a different "concept" of Jane, and each month is focused on a different book, which certainly humbled me (my recall of Jane Austen is very modest, I don't remember a lot of plot details and tend to get the novels jumbled together mentally--I can't remember who went to Bath (or London) in which novel...but still, rather forced... and (like Jane Austen) overly optimistic on the prospects of middle-aged "true love" (sigh). (Seriously, if you have the time to devote to it, I would suggest re-reading Jane Austen) ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
Awful. Really, truly dreadful in so many ways. Pretensious and painful. Did I mention I don't like it? Not finishing and handing back to the MeetUp pile.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I've just completed it this evening, and while I like it, I was not blown away. Perhaps I'm not subtle enough. I did enjoy Jane Austen's novels, if that counts! ( )
  wareagle78 | Apr 5, 2014 |

Karen Joy Fowlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schraf, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken. - Jane Austen, Emma.
For Sean Patrick Jmes Tyrrell,
Missing and forever missed.
We sat in a circle on Jocelyn's screened porch at dusk, drinking cold sun tea, surrounded by the smell of her twelve acres of fresh-mowed California grass.
Above Daniel's head, one leaf, and only one leaf, ticked about on the walnut tree. How exacting, how precise tbe breeze! It smelled of the river, a green smell in a brown month. She took a deep breath. (p.243)
In general, librarians enjoyed special requests. A reference librarian is someone wbo enjoys tbe chase. When librarians read for pleasure, they often pick a good mystery. They tend to be cat people as well, for reasons more obscure. (p.213)

Jane Austen as a
Plot device, badly written
Drivel: not worth it.
(passion4reading)

In California’s central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen’s novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin,
unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens. With her eye for the frailties of human behavior and her ear for the absurdities of social intercourse, Karen Joy
Fowler has never been wittier nor her characters more appealing. The result is a delicious dissection of modern relationships.

Dedicated Austenites will delight in unearthing the echoes of Austen that run through the novel, but most readers will simply enjoy the vision and voice that, despite two centuries of separation, unite two great writers of brilliant social comedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

As six Californians get together to form a book club to discuss the novels of Jane Austen, their lives are turned upside down by troubled marriages, illicit affairs, changing relationships, and love.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,481,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible