The King Must Die by Mary Renault

The King Must Die (original 1958; edition 1974)

by Mary Renault

2,124474,931 (4)137
The story of the mythical hero Theseus, slayer of monsters, abductor of princesses and king of Athens. He emerges from these pages as a clearly defined personality; brave, aggressive and quick. The core of the story is Theseus' Cretan adventure. Best Books for Young Teen Readers. A historical adventure story based on the legend of Theseus. Followed by The Bull from the Sea (1962). Also use: The Mask of Apollo (1988).… (more)
Member:Theodosia
Title:The King Must Die
Authors:Mary Renault
Info:Bantam Books (1974), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, read

The King Must Die by Mary Renault (1958)

Black Ships by Jo Graham (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Both take a legendary/mythological story and bring it to life in a plausible historical world.
    The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (wrmjr66)
    Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough (_Zoe_)
    The Odyssey by Homer (alalba)
    The Mark of the Horse Lord by Rosemary Sutcliff (gwernin)
    gwernin: A view of sacred kingship among the Celts.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sturlington)
    sturlington: The tributes of the bull dancers are similar to the tributes to the Hunger Games and Collins has said she was inspired by the Theseus myth.
    Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Another look at ancient culture and their relationship with the gods.
    The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (krasiviye.slova)
    krasiviye.slova: Similar decline and fall of the matriarchy theme, with different spins.
    Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar (Waysider)

English (47)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
historical, Greece ( )
  librarygoodman | Jan 12, 2020 |
This was a formative book in my childhood- if you count Junior High as Childhood. How wonderful to have protagonists who are young. How wonderful to read about people who accept that the gods are real and have them respond when addressed. Was this the earliest of the historical fictions I read? I don't know, but I've never stopped. And also read every other Mary Renault book. ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |
A man is at his youngest when he thinks he is a man, not yet realizing that his actions must show it.

Theseus grows up as the youngest in the royal House of Troizen, but as much as he loves his mother, he is from an early age interested in the identify of his father that is very much a mystery. He thinks, and hopes, that he is a son of Poseidon, but when he is sixteen years of age; his mother explains that in order to learn his father's identity and take on the role as his heir, he must remove a stone by himself to reveal the items hidden underneath.

The knowledge about his father's identity is so much more than just a father, it is the start of an adventure that in time will become one of the most beloved and praised myths in all the Greek world. This is the story of Theseus, the bull-dancer.

I'll admit. I'm extremely torn when it comes to Renault. Her writing is poetic and she truly manages to capture not just the story but the overall setting. I often forget not only that it's not a "non-fiction" myth but also that I'm not actually in ancient Greece. That being said, it's hard to enjoy the characters... or at least her protagonists. Theseus is interesting but he's ridiculously prideful and quite... awful.

So, while it's a fun read regarding the myths of Theseus and the ancient world itself... it's hard to enjoy it as much as I'd want to. It's good knowledge, and was very nice to read while playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, in the way of archaeology and getting into the mindset of pre-historical Greece but man, it's hard to enjoy as a story. It's hard to care for a man who literally can't handle a society where women are in charge and rants about how oppressed the men are (to be fair, it's not equal, but considering Athenian women barely had any social status or worth on their own.... it's hard to compare).... and decided to take it into his own hands to make sure men are the rulers and women are well, nothing.

It's good and it's not so good. But in my experience, that is usually the way it is with ancient Greek history and myths. In that way, Renault's work is a masterpiece that truly makes you forget it's written in 1955, or during historical time at all. ( )
1 vote autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
A retelling of the tale of Theseus - killing the Minotaur, Ariadne's thread, etc. Renault is a great storyteller! This book just flowed - I couldn't put it down! It's a real swashbuckler, sword fights and beautiful damsels, but it didn't get ridiculous. Anybody's guess whether Renault's version is getting close to whatever historical foundation the story might have. It made for a good book, anyway! ( )
2 vote kukulaj | Sep 5, 2019 |
This was an interesting take on the story of Theseus and the Minotaur. It makes the story almost plausible. ( )
  RobertaLea | Mar 3, 2019 |
Renault comes up with many ingenious and plausible solutions to the riddles posed by trying to place the legends into a historical context.

You’ll find excitement and beauty, philosophy and action, danger and fulfillment — all the very best qualities of a myth retold.
added by elenchus | editEmerald City Book Review (Mar 15, 2017)

added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, William du Bois (pay site) (Jul 14, 1958)

A novel to be read with pleasure and great excitement.

Renault, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rychlíková, OlgaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scarpi, N. O.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, Mother! I was born to die soon;
but Olympian Zeus the Thunderer
owes me some honor for it.

--Achilles, in the Iliad
The Citadel of Troizen, where the Palace stands, was built by giants before anyone remembers.
But it is death for men to spy on women's mysteries.
They were so stupid that they thought women conceived by their own magic, without help of men. No wonder a woman seemed so full of power to them! If she told a man no, who but he would be the loser? She by her art could conceive from the winds and streams, she owed him nothing.
We have taken the bull by the horns; we have leaped for you and not run away; we always gave you a show.
It is grief to a man to look on mysteries he does not understand.
"Moira?" he said. "The finished shape of our fate, the line drawn round it. It is the task the gods allot us, and the share of glory they allow; the limits we must not pass; and our appointed end. Moira is all these."

Easy read.  Provides an interesting look into the world of Greek Myths.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,383,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible