Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree by…

Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree

by Lauren Tarshis

Maybe 4.5 stars. Folks in the industry talk about reluctant readers as if they're all boys. Well, if you've got a 10-12 yo girl who needs just the right book, try this one. It's early spring, 7th-grade, and in just a couple hours read addresses complex issues inside two different girls, and their families, and their school. Also would be great for dads who don't understand their girls. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book was recommended to me at a Science Fiction Convention (ConFusion 2008) at a discussion panel on the "new" world of YA fiction. I think Scott Westerfeld in particular recommended it (he wrote the Midnighters series and the Uglies/Pretties series). Anyway, I LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down last night, I think I read it in 2 hours or less. It's meant for middle school readers, and the characters are in the 7th grade. Emma Jean Lazarus is not quite like her peers (she almost has an Asperger's type of temperament) - she likes good hygiene, math, nature, order and doesn't really get all the emotional chaos, illogical behaviors and general rambunctiousness of her peers. But somehow she begins to get involved in their lives, helping them with problems - often with unintentional results. This is a wonderful book about a difficult time in a young persons life, and the author portrays the cliqueishness of that age group particularly well. Emma Jean is a very sympathetic protagonist, despite her sort of separateness from her peers - as a secret introvert, it was refreshing to see from her point of view. I cried during parts of the book towards the end, and I'm not sure it was just an emotional day or what, but in any case this is a great story about connections between others and what we risk when we dare to be involved. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
The writing in this book is very fun and fluid. The characters are well developed and interesting. The story is simple yet somewhat poignant. Well worth a read! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Touching story of seventh grade girls dealing with their issues and lives for middle school readers. Emma Jean's father passed away over a year ago and Emma Jean and her mom have a great relationship which helps Emma Jean as she "solves" some of her friends problems. I will look forward to reading more by Lauren Tarshis. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

From a debut author comes a heart-warming novel about a unique girl and her seventhgrade experiences.

Emma-Jean Lazarus is the smartest and strangest girl at William Gladstone Middle School. Her classmates don?t understand her, but that?s okay because Emma-Jean doesn?t quite get them either. But one afternoon, all that changes when she sees Colleen Pomerantz crying in the girl?s room. It is through Colleen that Emma-Jean gets a glimpse into what it is really like to be a seventh grader. And what she finds will send her tumbling out of a tree and questioning why she ever got involved in the first place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

A quirky and utterly logical seventh-grade girl named Emma-Jean Lazarus discovers some interesting results when she gets involved in the messy everyday problems of her peers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible