DNA: Thriller (Kommissar Huldar und…

DNA: Thriller (Kommissar Huldar und Psychologin Freyja, Band 1) (original 2014; edition 2017)

by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Autor)

Series: Children's House (1)

The murder was meant as a punishment - but what sin could justify the method? The only person who might have answers is the victim's seven-year-old daughter, who was found hiding in the room where her mother died. And she's not talking. Newly promoted, out of his depth, Detective Huldar turns to Freyja and the Children's House for their expertise with traumatized young people. Freyja, who distrusts the police in general and Huldar in particular, isn't best pleased. But she's determined to keep little Margret safe. It may prove tricky. The killer is leaving them strange clues: warnings in text messages, sums scribbled on bits of paper, numbers broadcast on the radio. He's telling a dark and secret story - but how can they crack the code? And if they do, will they be next?… (more)
Member:Buecher15
Title:DNA: Thriller (Kommissar Huldar und Psychologin Freyja, Band 1)
Authors:Yrsa Sigurdardottir (Autor)
Info:btb Verlag (2017), 512 pages

The Legacy by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir (2014)

Recently added byprivate library, MenloPark, Arina40, hivetrick

English (9)  German (4)  All languages (13)
Seven year old Margret is the only witness to the brutal murder of her mother. There are no clues, no forensic evidence. Just a piece of paper with an unintelligible sequence of numbers. Detective Huldar's only hope is Margret, but she's not ready to talk. Hopefully Freyja, the child psychologist can convince her to tell what she knows.

When a second murder occurs, similar to the first only in its brutality, Margret becomes more important and it is urgent that she recount what she knows, even though there seems to be no connection between the two victims.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the police, Karl, a shortwave radio nerd has figured out the code based on a program he picks up on his shortwave radio. When he finally comes forward, he is deemed a quack or a suspect.

The Legacy is a tense Icelandic police procedural. One review said "...[it] is all the slow burning layered procedural a Nordic Noir reader could hope for, infused with the trademark dark imagination that has become [Yrsa's] own ever developing legacy." There is a good plot, good action and the characters have personalities and flaws.

Go for it. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Sep 23, 2020 |
Brilliant new series by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir and what a superb first book. It's like dancing Twist - a new twist around every corner. Next one please ... ( )
  MarkusIrl | May 13, 2020 |
nice book. I liked the plot, which was twisting & turning right untill the end. It kept my attention, but at times I really wished that some more hints & clues were shared to keep me in the investigation. Now I was merely listening, without the usual guessing game whether I could keep up with the investigators.

What I disliked about reading this as audiobook is, that the Dutch narrator struggled with the Icelandic names. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 1, 2019 |
This book is a perfectly competent thriller, but it is something of a disappointment . I've very much enjoyed her earlier books, which have a strong sense of place and interesting characters. This one does have (some) appealing characters, and I was glad to learn that it is the first in a series. But this one also gets carried away with Scandinavian gothic. It did not seem to me that the motivation for a singularly ghastly series of killings was adequately developed, which took away a lot of the punch from the story. ( )
  annbury | Mar 8, 2018 |
The Legacy is billed as the first in a new series centred around an institution called "The Children's House", which is left rather vaguely-defined with an eye to leaving scope for sequels, but seems to be some sort of reception centre for children who have been involved in violent or criminal incidents. In this story, their client is a seven-year-old girl who has been the only witness to the gruesome murder of her mother. Needless to say, there's an unresolved erotic tension between Huldar, the investigating police officer, and Freyja, the psychologist who is responsible for looking after the little girl. And even more needless to say, since we don't hear anything about geothermal energy or dubious banking practices, the plot turns out to revolve about the other thing Iceland is famous for: genetics.

This struck me as a reasonably accomplished crime story technically - maybe the reader is given slightly too many clues to how it's going to turn out, but that's debatable. What let it down for me was that the author didn't really manage to add any depth to our view of the characters in the course of the story: she keeps on telling us the very same things we already know about them in her descriptions of their motivations and states of mind, so we end up thinking of them as automatons, not people. Probably a story that would work better as a TV film than a full-length book. ( )
1 vote thorold | Oct 23, 2017 |

Sigurðardóttir, Yrsaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cribb, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koivukari, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuuva-Hietala, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,447,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible