March (Trilogy Slipcase Set) by John Lewis

March (Trilogy Slipcase Set) (2016)

by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell (Artist)

Series: March (1-3)

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
Wow. This graphic novel by John Lewis is an epic piece of history. It begins on President Obama's inaguaration day in 2009. John Lewis is in his office when a woman and her two sons knock on the door. They are in DC from Atlanta for the inaguaration and she wanted to show her boys a piece of history. John Lewis begins to tell them his story and the novel then shifts to his childhood, where he grew up on a small farm Alabama. The trilogy takes us through Lewis's life and the civil rights movement. It's a powerful book. ( )
  gharhar | Jul 24, 2018 |
Very good summary of John Lewis' life and accomplishments. The graphic idea works well. ( )
  Doondeck | Mar 9, 2018 |
John Lewis's story is powerful no matter how it's told, whether in person (as I had the privilege of first hearing it), written long-form in his memoirs for adult audiences, or written more simply in this graphic form for younger audiences.

Setting his story within the frame of the day of Barack Obama's inauguration is such a powerful counterpoint that it gave me the shivers. Thinking about his story in terms of what's happening in this country now makes me want to cry. ( )
  mzonderm | Sep 17, 2017 |
Booklist, 2016
  asidebottom428 | Jun 27, 2017 |
The first volume of [book:March: Book One|17346698] begins with the Inauguration Day of President Barack Obama on January 20, 2009. Congressman John Lewis is getting ready to attend the Inauguration when a woman with her two young sons comes into his office to visit. The story of "March" is told through Mr. Lewis's conversation with these two young boys, as well as his thoughts on Inauguration Day.

I loved this story! I was looking for a book to hold my attention (it's been hard to focus and nothing I was reading was doing it for me), and this did the job, and more! It engaged my emotions, my sense of history, and my need to just hear a really good, edge-of-the-seat story. It's supposedly a young adult comic book series, but it appealed to me, just because I had never heard a first-person narrative of the Civil Rights Movement told in such a way: from the beginning of the movement, to the Inauguration of the first African-American President of the United States.

If you made the mistake of thinking Mr. John Lewis was just some silly old man who took it into his head to sit down on the floor of the House of Representatives for some silly protest against gun violence, you seriously need to reconsider his role in history, and reading this book, and the whole trilogy of "March," is a good place to begin. Keep in mind that we ignore history at our peril. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, Andrewmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the past and future children
of the movement
Can you swim?
Well, neither can I.
We shall splinter the segregated south into a thousand pieces and put them together in the image of God and democracy!

Read about the life of Congressman John Lewis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,533,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible